SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2001, 11:58 PM   #1
Sam96SL2
Sam96SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Intakes?

I was looking at the Injen intakes and they say C.A.R.B Legal (meaning O.K for inspection right?) I also noticed that powerstack and hotshots intakes do not say this...So what factors determine whether an intake is C.A.R.B legal or not

Lastly I've noticed some people prefer hotshot over powerstack and vice versa..Is it that much of a major difference in between these intakes or other intakes..TIA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sam96SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sam96SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2001, 02:14 AM   #2
94sc2boy
94sc2boy is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

CARB, just means that it is street legal in California. Also check out the Ice Man intakes, its not ceramic or anything, but its also only 110 bucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc2boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc2boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2001, 02:15 AM   #3
94sc2boy
94sc2boy is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

CARB, just means that it is street legal in California. Also check out the Ice Man intakes, its not ceramic or anything, but its also only 110 bucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc2boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc2boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2001, 11:51 AM   #4
dqban
dqban is on a distinguished road

i dont know much about what materials make an intake more efficient, but when i was looking into adding one for my 97 sc2 i learned two things. first, several people told me to stay away from iceman because those intakes have been known to cause condensation within, which means your engine will suck in water. second, as i understand it, the saturn motor does not produce enough power that the material the intake's tubing is made off will affect your performance . i simply cut off the factory intake bok and attached a $50 K&N kone, the best filter on the market. dyno testing shows that this configuration is as efficient as replacing the tube and all, except $100 to $150 cheaper. talk to jowy at saturn used parts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dqban's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dqban reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2001, 11:19 PM   #5
Beef's SL2
Beef's SL2 is on a distinguished road

Would anyone be able to write up some instructions for cutting off the air box and putting on a K&N filter?
Just wondering if I should do that or get an expensive intake?
Thanks
John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Beef's SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Beef's SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2001, 12:39 PM   #6
SaturnPartsGuy
SaturnPartsGuy is on a distinguished road

Have put on many different set ups on saturns and have found that the best bang for your buck in the k&n Fuel injector Performance kit. It sounds great works great has a lifetime guarentee on the filter and pays for itself in reusability. On our 2001 sc2 we are placing in the Canadian National Autoshow we are using a HotShot stainless unit. Awesome look good filter placement overall pretty good unit but a little expensive. K&N F.I.P.K list price $286.59 we sell for $214.61. Hot Shot $329.00. (canadian dollars)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnPartsGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnPartsGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2001, 02:03 PM   #7
Gene_O
Gene_O is on a distinguished road

<blockquote><hr><font size="1">Original Post:</font><!--1-->
Would anyone be able to write up some instructions for cutting off the air box and putting on a K&N filter?
<hr></blockquote>
This is what I did for my 95 SL.

I just flipped through the K&N catalog at the parts store and found a cone with a 2 3/4" flange at a 45 degree bend. I ended up getting the 5 1/2" long cone but should've got the 7". 2 3/4" was the same size as my intake tube, whoops, now I needed something to couple the cone to the intake tract. In desperation, I scrounged through my house looking for a way to improvise. Going through the canned goods with K&N in hand, I found that a can of sliced olives gave a perfect fit. I opened the top and bottom with a "Saftey-can" can opener and used the can a coupler. The tough part was finding a recipe to use olives in.

For the airbox, I removed the lid and baffle. The cone just sits in the box with the cone tube interface resting on the edge supporting the cone. It wouldn't be too difficult to construct a bracket at the end of the cone and cut a groove where the tube sits.

I believe the olives were from Italy, so now I can claim to have a Saturn equipped with Italian racing parts. $30 for the filter and a buck or so for the olives.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gene_O's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gene_O reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2001, 02:59 PM   #8
Beef's SL2
Beef's SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Last question about intakes

I really like the Ice Man, because of the reviews on carreview.com, and the price at jcwhitney.com (sorry SPS) and want to know if it is better to have the oxy. sensor installed in the tube, or in front of the filter fastened to the frame, which would be easier for me, but I want it done right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Beef's SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Beef's SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2001, 08:31 PM   #9
Saturn_x2001
Saturn_x2001 is on a distinguished road

I, personally, like the ceramic-coated Hotshot (SPS) intake. I like the way it looks, and sounds. It kind of matches the valve cover too. The Iceman, to me, SEEMS kind of pointless to spend that much money on (even if it does have the untapped fitting for NOS). It's cheaper then the hotshot, but wouldn't it be cheaper to just keep the stock intake plumbing, paint it your favorite color, and add a K&N filter???

...just my opinion...

In conclusion, I like the way the Hotshot intake sounds & looks. It may be a little pricey but, hey, I don't pay rent yet so why not throw in the extra dollar?? Just don't have a shop install it for you, that'll leave a big fat void in your wallet!

cheers,
--Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn_x2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn_x2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2001, 09:59 PM   #10
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Another option is the K&N drop-in Filtercharger.

Each of the intakes has its plusses (and minuses!). The better ones are expensive (CARB certification costs money). Tthe cheaper ones all seem to have problems like not having a place for the O2 sensor, or rubbing your hoses (unless you pay extra for a bracket, and then it's not so cheap anymore), causing problems with emissions inspections, poor quality or fit, or whatever.

A search of this board and the SPS tech pages will find you the real (dyno tested) HP gains for an intake vs. the drop in filter, but if I recall correctly it is about 3 HP for the drop in and 5 HP for any of the intakes (interchangable as far as performance goes).

So, do you care more about appearance, or cost (drop in is about $40 US, the intakes are about $100 US and up)?

Do you want easy, one minute install with no hassle from emissions or service (some retailers refuse to even change your oil if you have an intake, sad but true!) and no rubbing, no finish wearing off and getting sucked into your engine? Get a drop in and save money and hassles.

If you want to impress your friends, dress up your engine, get every HP you can, regardless of cost (in this case hundreds, not thousands), then get an intake (if it were me I would get the one from K&N, or one of the more expensive ones that come with all the brackets and fittings, you generally get what you pay for).

I hope this helps. Enjoy your Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread