SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Dach
Dach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the rough

Information my p0301 probs and the outcome.

I have been checking threads for the past few days for cyl #1 misfire solutions and trying several of them. Clean TB, change plugs, rotate coil packs, etc...the 2007 Ion 2 has 74k on it so I never thought it would be compression issues. Well guess what, cyl 1 is at 110 or so wet or dry test so I have valve issues. I am going to take it to my usual mechanic, as I don't have the tools or the time to do that on on my own, (unless someone has a step-by-step thread) and see what he finds and guesstimates what it will cost. Anyone have any estimates they'd like to share? Just letting anyone know who has this code to check compression and don't let low mileage (I think it's low) keep you from checking it. Oh well, if I smoked after sex I'd be lighting up about now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dach is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Dan_G
Dan_G is just really niceDan_G is just really niceDan_G is just really niceDan_G is just really niceDan_G is just really nice

Default Re: my p0301 probs and the outcome.

I have a 2007 with 95K. I'm getting P0301. I already rotated coils and changed the plugs. I changed the front brakes since they were vibrating.

I guess it's time for a compression test. Keep us posted on the repair costs. I'm not rebuilding this engine. If it's a valve issue and it can be done for a reasonable cost then maybe ... otherwise, it's not getting fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dan_G's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dan_G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Dach
Dach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the rough

Well my mechanic, whom I trust totally, called me today to tell me he thought it was a bent valve because he could see light through it when it was supposed to be closed. He sent the head to a machine shop and they found the guides on the #1 cyl. were worn and would allow radial travel that made it look like a bent valve. They are going to have to replace all of them. He is going to call me tomorrow to let me know if the parts are available locally and give me an accurate ETR date. Should be Thu or Fri if I'm lucky. His last guesstimate was $1550 or so. I'll post again when I get new info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Dan_G
Dan_G is just really niceDan_G is just really niceDan_G is just really niceDan_G is just really niceDan_G is just really nice

Best of luck with your repairs. I was lucky with my P0301. It turns out my kid started using regular grade fuel. This car needs definitely needs premium fuel. As soon as we filled up with premium, no more misfires. We have run about 4 full tanks through about 800 miles no more check engine light. So for the time being, Im not doing a compression test. I have to say, this is a very smooth running engine. I was surprised it was throwing a code since it runs perfectly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dan_G's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dan_G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Dach

Well...(drum roll please) the grand total for the new guides and labor was $1500 and change. Let's hope this is the last big expense I have to shell out for this thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation