SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
jogle
jogle is on a distinguished road

Default '94 SL2 speedo and odo quit working

I took the cluster apart to replace the 25 tooth ODO gear. Put it back together and replaced a few bad cluster bulbs. Road test revealed inop speedometer and odometer. Tach seems okay.

The speedo was working before I started. The connectors soldered to the cluster foil look fine, meaning they are firmly fastened to the foil. I'll do a continuity check next. I have seen solder connections develop a hairline crack.

I've been reading about the VSS but unless it's some weird coincidence I'm more inclined to think it's related to the work I just did. Any suggestions?

Is there any availability of wiring schematics short of buying the whole factory document?

TIA to all you helpful fans.

jogle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jogle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jogle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jogle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: '94 SL2 speedo and odo quit working

VSS is possible, but very unlikely. As you suspect, it is most likely related to the work you did.

This is for a '95, but I believe they are the same. Hope it helps:

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Does the car have cruise control? If so, take it up to what you would guess is 30-35 MPH, and try the cruise. If it works, the problem is indeed "downstream" of there, most likely the cluster or the connection to it. If it doesn't, the problem is "upstream", i.e. VSS, wiring from VSS to PCM, wiring from PCM to the cruise and/or cluster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

When I replaced my odo gear and put it all back, I had the same problem. Turned out, I hadn't made the connection very good where the pin connectors are attached on the flexible circuit board.. After making a proper connecting it all worked properly.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
jogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock View Post
VSS is possible, but very unlikely. As you suspect, it is most likely related to the work you did.

Thanks to all who replied.
to PlasticCarsRock: Looks like the first page is battery voltage so no problem there as most functions are okay. It must be the connection at the lower left corner of the large dashed line box, which I assume is the cluster. That's the only point that affects only the speedo and odo.

madpogue point out that if the cruise works, the problem is in the cluster. I'll check that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jogle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
jogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock View Post

Many thanks to all who replied. This forum really rocks.

to PlasticCarsRock: Looks like the first page is battery voltage so no problem there as most functions are okay. It must be the connection at the lower left corner of the large dashed line box on the second page, which I assume is the cluster. That's the only point that affects only the speedo and odo.

madpogue point out that if the cruise works, the problem is in the cluster. I'll check that.

blue92, are you talking about the 3-pin connector that is soldered to the foil? How can you connect it wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
mansaturn
mansaturn is on a distinguished road

the hole in the instrument cluster housing at that plug is slightly bigger than the plug itself. if you push it in off-center, it might feel like you are plugging it in but you are not really on the metal contacts. take it back apart and plug it in carefully and you should have your problem solved. same thing is true for all three plugs in the back. another possibility is that the flexible circuit got ripped when taking things apart. also, hopefully you removed any little gear debris in the odometer housing or it can jam the odometer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mansaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mansaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mansaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansaturn View Post
the hole in the instrument cluster housing at that plug is slightly bigger than the plug itself. if you push it in off-center, it might feel like you are plugging it in but you are not really on the metal contacts. take it back apart and plug it in carefully and you should have your problem solved. same thing is true for all three plugs in the back. another possibility is that the flexible circuit got ripped when taking things apart. also, hopefully you removed any little gear debris in the odometer housing or it can jam the odometer.
+1 . This is what I was referring to. I thought it was connected, but it wasnt. My speedo and odmeter didnt work, but cruise did. So , Iknew it had to be something to do with the connections. Take it apart and reconnect it.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
jogle

Well I think I can put this thread to bed. Problem solved. As madpogue suggested, cruise was working so the problem was in the cluster, not VSS.

Thanks for the clarification about the pins, blue92. That's probably what I did when I put it back together. Not knowing for sure what was wrong, I took the foil off and traced every circuit point to point for continuity. When I put it back on I made sure about getting those three plugs on the pins.

Finally, a big thank you to PlasticPartsRock for the schematic info. Studying that made everything make sense.

jogle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!