SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
csment25
csment25 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default 4 years later...

Four years later and still loving it , how is everyone else doing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0942.jpg (184.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0944.jpg (195.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0945.jpg (135.3 KB, 77 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to csment25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help csment25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
csment25 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 4 years later...

Sweet blackout.

I've only had mine 2.5 years but thats longer than I have kept anything else so it must be love.

My ignition was acting funny one day, 3 times it locked up the steering wheel and I must have spent 1.5 hours in my car just trying to get the key to turn. Hasn't done it since

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadiEldo67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
bellman246
bellman246 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Love the Front Grill. Where can I find something like that?

- 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5dr Twilight Blue
- Manual
- 8000k HID, LED Corner Lights, LED Plate Light, Yellow Fog lights
- Shark Fin
- MTX sound System with 10 inch sub
- D5103
- Pro Lines

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bellman246's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bellman246 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bellman246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Silversand
Silversand is on a distinguished road

3 years, 1 month for me. Almost a record for longest period of ownership. The Astra has been nearly flawless. Just a few minor issues - when it was about a year old it pissed out a lilttle bit of tranny fluid and needed a seal of some kind, and at about the 2 year mark, the horn died.
In my books, that's pretty good. I feel I've gotten what I paid for with this car. So far. Fingers crossed!

09 Astra XE 5dr, Silver Sand, M5
08 Escape XLT V6 FWD, Tungsten Grey, A4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silversand's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silversand reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silversand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

We've beaten the ever loving piss out of ours, and we still have no plans to get rid of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
csment25
csment25 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just google a company called b cool billets, the astra isn't listed on their website, but they obviously make the grill.You just have to call them so they can direct you to a dealer. Its a high quality product and you can have it powdercoated or chromed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to csment25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help csment25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
csment25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
amartin003
amartin003 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Have owned mine for 4 years, 4 months. Coming up on 150K (km) and all I've had to do besides regular maintenance was replace the battery back in the summer and the rear brakes a year ago. The front brakes are still original but need to be replaced very soon but can't complain given the mileage!

All in all, haven't had any issues with the car.

2008 Astra XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amartin003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amartin003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amartin003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

3.5 years and just hit 160,000 kms (100,000 miles). Did my own timing belt about 25,000 km back and had one issue with my steering wheel controls back when it was only about half a year old that was covered under warranty. I do mostly highway so I'm still on my original brakes and tires!

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
Terra Nova
Terra Nova is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
3.5 years and just hit 160,000 kms (100,000 miles). Did my own timing belt about 25,000 km back and had one issue with my steering wheel controls back when it was only about half a year old that was covered under warranty. I do mostly highway so I'm still on my original brakes and tires!
Nice !

Just to clarify...is it really 160,000 km on the tires ?

What brand of tires do you have ?

- 2008 Silver Astra 3dr ' XR ' 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Terra Nova's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Terra Nova reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm 1 year and 2 months. 97000km now and mechanically it is perfect. Although last month my radio has been taking a dump on me. At least its not mechanical and aftermarket always sound better!

My only complaint is the gear box, any quick shifts result in the rpms spiking and the shift is garbage. Youre faster if you shift normally. This takes away from the fun driving the curved back roads to the cottage.

Otherwise I love it. I wish it had 10-15hp more but its still adequate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Nice !

Just to clarify...is it really 160,000 km on the tires ?

What brand of tires do you have ?
More of a protracted estimate for when I eventually hit the wearbars. They are the original Hankooks.

I ran snows for about 28,000 kms last winter according to my records, but I currently have just under 161,000 kms on the odo. That means 133,000 kms on the all-seasons with still some tread left to go. Flat even wear across the entire tread surface too (it helps if you up the pressure to 40 PSI). Right now, I have about 3mm of tread on the fronts and 4mm on the rears (the wearbars begin at the 2mm mark). I'll be swapping over to my winters in a couple weeks time, but I'm fairly confident that if I put the better pair of all-seasons on the front in the spring, I should be able to go another 25-30,000 kms before I hit the wearbars on all four tires.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm having the same issue with the transmission. For me, it's started in the last 5,000 miles or so. When I get a chance, I'm going to change the trans oil and see if that helps. How long is the powertrain warranty good?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
nrramse
nrramse is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I've owned my '08 for two years this month. It had 83k miles when I bought it and now has 131k - mostly highway miles. I've done the following:
  1. Replaced two tires (the other two were new when I got the car)
  2. Replaced timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, antifreeze, idler pulleys, accessory belt
  3. Replaced the parking brake cable
  4. Repaired an intermittent connection in the parking lights
  5. Repaired the intermittent horn
  6. Removed the oil screens from the intake valve timing modulator
  7. New windshield
  8. Broken 2 of the plastic wheel covers
  9. Broken the rear pullout cupholder

I've had my share of problems and I can think of some things to grumble about. Its hard to get consistent documentation and I don't like working on it the way I do my old Bronco, or Grandpa's John Deere Model A, because so much of it is plastic and vague. Also, some parts seem overpriced.

On the other hand, its fun to drive, solid, and economical. I usually get high 30's miles per gallon and sometimes even 40. I also like that its obscure where I live, and I regularly get compliments on it - especially when its clean . I think I've worked out a lot of the bugs and intend to keep the car for a long while.

2008 Astra XE, 5 speed stick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nrramse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nrramse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nrramse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
bellman246
bellman246 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

How did you black out the chrome trim pieces? I am thinking of using matt black vinyl

- 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5dr Twilight Blue
- Manual
- 8000k HID, LED Corner Lights, LED Plate Light, Yellow Fog lights
- Shark Fin
- MTX sound System with 10 inch sub
- D5103
- Pro Lines

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bellman246's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bellman246 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bellman246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrramse View Post
I've owned my '08 for two years this month. It had 83k miles when I bought it and now has 131k - mostly highway miles. I've done the following:
  1. Replaced two tires (the other two were new when I got the car)
  2. Replaced timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, antifreeze, idler pulleys, accessory belt
  3. Replaced the parking brake cable
  4. Repaired an intermittent connection in the parking lights
  5. Repaired the intermittent horn
  6. Removed the oil screens from the intake valve timing modulator
  7. New windshield
  8. Broken 2 of the plastic wheel covers
  9. Broken the rear pullout cupholder

I've had my share of problems and I can think of some things to grumble about. Its hard to get consistent documentation and I don't like working on it the way I do my old Bronco, or Grandpa's John Deere Model A, because so much of it is plastic and vague. Also, some parts seem overpriced.

On the other hand, its fun to drive, solid, and economical. I usually get high 30's miles per gallon and sometimes even 40. I also like that its obscure where I live, and I regularly get compliments on it - especially when its clean . I think I've worked out a lot of the bugs and intend to keep the car for a long while.
WOW! you bought an inexpensive econonomy car with 83k miles and then did maintenance. The horn was covered by a recall, the hubcaps are probably because the car was curbed, or they were taken off wrong, and oh noes!, the cheezy from the factory cupholder broke.

sounds like you are doing pretty great!

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
nrramse
nrramse is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
WOW! you bought an inexpensive econonomy car with 83k miles and then did maintenance. The horn was covered by a recall, the hubcaps are probably because the car was curbed, or they were taken off wrong, and oh noes!, the cheezy from the factory cupholder broke.

sounds like you are doing pretty great!
Yeah I saved a lot of money by buying a used car and working through the issues. I had to fix the horn myself though - that recall ended at 120K miles. Fortunately, its an easy fix.

2008 Astra XE, 5 speed stick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nrramse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nrramse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nrramse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
mbenus
mbenus is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I posted this a few months ago:

OK, just starting my fifth year with the Astra XR 3 door, 64K miles, brutal daily commute on northern New Jersey's decaying roads.

No problems to report. Nothing ever broke, never failed to start. Everything seems to work fine. Maybe that's because I did all of the scheduled maintenance or maybe just dumb luck.

My only complaint would be that the front nose has a lot of stone chips. I never had so many on a car with so few miles.

And yea, I still occasionally see someone looking it over in a parking lot trying to figure out what it is.

All in all, glad I didn't buy that Corolla.

Happy driving all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbenus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbenus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mbenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
blackastra
blackastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 AURA XR

3 years on, 41k miles and so far so good. Replaced the roof rails long ago and the only thing thats out of place is the fading headlight covers. Other than that, more reliable than I anticipated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
C152
C152 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2008 Astra XR

Hi all,

Four years and 101 000 km (63, 000 m.) later and I cannot complain, not one bit. Still on original brakes and it looks like they're good 'til at least spring. No rattles or squeaks. My list is thankfully short, burnt flasher bulbs, burnt hatch bulb, both replaced under warranty, check engine (code P000A; cam sensor; warranty,) stinky A/C (condensor; warranty) and the left rear power window would not work (wiring; my cost.)

The styling still looks great, it won't look bad even years from now, love the interior's understated design, the materials are top notch and classy. Love, love, love the handling.

My complaints? Not enough storage space (still somewhat baffling,) contortionist need only apply front cupholder (one, only!?!) sun visors that leave acres of window space for the sun to glare (not peek,) computer that has the user-friendliness of a UNIVAC computer (it's as if the engineers pulled a prank on us) and would sure love some low end power and a sixth gear, 3000 rpm for 100 km/hr (62 mph) is wrong. Also, how 'bout a better owner's manual that actually tells us all thse plethora secret features that only the Europeans know about? Or at least a correct one that tells us to step on the brake pedal when resetting the oil life computer?

I do have a question and it may not be for this thread, but here goes anyway. I noticed that at about the 95 000 km odometer reading, at about 3000 km from the last oil change, the oil level dropped. Not enough to have to add, it dipped to the top of the hatching. As an aside, I do find that infernal dipstick difficult to read. Didn't sweat it, but made a mental note regardless. Sure enough about 3 000 km after the latest oil change, the level has dipped again. There are no drips (although there may some leaking/sweating) and there's no hint of a bad exhaust smell or hint of blue. Has anyone else noticed any oil comsumption?

Thanks,

Kind Regards,
C152
2008 Saturn 5dr XE (Opelized) Astra
2008 Saturn 3dr XR (to be Opelized)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C152's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C152 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

I got a low oil level light recently when travelling on a highway @4000rpms. My Astra has 63kkm on it. I added about 200ml and everything went back to normal. I'm not very concerned, considering how high I rev the engine it's given it'll consume some oil.

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote