SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
1999saturnsl22
1999saturnsl22 is on a distinguished road

Dazed P0404 code after changing the egr valve, and radio resets itself everyday? Help?

Hello,
I have a 1999 saturn sl2, its a manual with 132000 on it. The service engine soon light came on ten minutes after I paid for the car with the code p0404, I cleaned the egr valve and the light went off for a day, the next day its back on, I bought a new one and put it in and the light has stayed off for about a week, and now its back with the same code. Sometimes when I try and start the car it turns over but doesnt start till I stop for a second and try again then it starts right up but when it does that it also makes a bluahhh sound that doesnt sound very healthy when I turn it off. Also the radio resets itself everytime I turn the car on, I didnt really care much but am wondering if they are connected. Any ideas on what the issue is for the code? All help is greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999saturnsl22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999saturnsl22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999saturnsl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
shaggydavid
shaggydavid is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1999 SL2
Default Re: P0404 code after changing the egr valve, and radio resets itself everyday? Help?

i see that the 404 is ; DTC P0404 Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance , wich isnot in my list of proper codes for the s-series. did you reset the computer? take terminals loose and hold together for 20 seconds. check wire harness for splices and grounded wires. clean the connector for the egr with electronic cleaner,and although unlikley check to make sure the pcm is pluged in all the way.

you might want to check the o2 sensors and to see if the catalic converter is cloged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shaggydavid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shaggydavid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shaggydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: P0404 code after changing the egr valve, and radio resets itself everyday? Help?

That is a valid code and the problem is caused by a loss of power which is being identified by a resetting radio. The F-5 terminal in the I/P fuse block is cooked.

Leave the battery alone. That is NOT how you clear codes.m To clear a code pull the PCM B fuse from the Under Hood Fuse box.

This explains the F-5 issue and how to fix it.

The wire in question is a large red(pink) wire located in the 68 pin black connector on the back side of the I/P fuse box. You reach it from the drivers side of the car by puling on the front edge of the lower center kick panel, it swings out and removes.

That red(pink) wire is a direct connection to the IP BAT fuse in the UHJB. If you have decided it is the problem fixing is usually not that bad. You disconnect the battery negative terminal and then unbolt the center bolt in the black 68 pin plug. Once the bolt spins free grab the wire bundle and wiggle it all the way out. take a small chunk of scotch brite and clean up the F-5 pin in the panel. Just get it clean on at least one side. To fix the connector in the plug you remove the blue connection assurance clip that is on the side of the plug. pull the one that holds F-5. Once that lock is out you look at the face of the plug and locate F-5. Look closely and you will see that one side is rounded under. On that side you insert the end of a flat type of bobby pin under that rounded side and when it stops you can gently pull on the back end by the red (pink) wire and it will slide out when unlatched. If it does not slide right out slightly twist the bobby pin to lift the latch. Once out re-spring the latch slightly and clean up the section that slides over the pin. Use scotch brite instead of any abrasive paper. Reassemble and reconnect negative lead at battery.

You may have several independent problems as well.

To test the F-5 theory just locate the wire and wiggle it and see if it kills the radio.

Is this a stock Saturn radio or aftermarket unit? Any other extra electronics installed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

One of the first things to do is go to a parts store and ask to have them check the alternator and battery. Low voltage will cause all of your problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
1999saturnsl22
1999saturnsl22 is on a distinguished road

Ok thank you all for your quick responses, I am a girl with little mechanical know how, but ill have my boyfriend check your f 5 theory, I hope that's it, but would that make the car to throw the p0404 code? It is an aftermarket stereo and I do think your right about the loss of power possibly resetting the radio, do you think that is also why my car has to crank over for a while before it starts at times? Again thank you all for your help, ill let you know how it goes by monday!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999saturnsl22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999saturnsl22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999saturnsl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

The EGR valve is separate from the F-5, but wouldn't surprise me if it was being cooked by the radio...

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0404 -- this'll give you some more ideas..

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

EGR is possibly a power problem as well. The EGR would be effected by a bad batter and/or alternator so those must be tested as well. Th eradio may be the F-5 or the actual installation.

---Go to parts store and have alternator and battery tested
---Wiggle F-5

Have you changed the ECTS? That may be the hard starting issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!