SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
JRU224
JRU224 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Afteermarket radio!?!?

I have recently installed an aftermarket radio in my '08 Astra but its not working anybody have any ideas on why this may be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JRU224's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JRU224 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JRU224 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
MGGDTW
MGGDTW is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Afteermarket radio!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRU224 View Post
I have recently installed an aftermarket radio in my '08 Astra but its not working anybody have any ideas on why this may be?
Hmmm...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGGDTW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGGDTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MGGDTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
CMM2008
CMM2008 is on a distinguished road

I myself would like to know. I just recently bought a 2008 Astra and was thinking about buying an aftermarket radio or even an XM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CMM2008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CMM2008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CMM2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
JRU224

2008 Astra XR

Apparently in order to get an aftermarket radio to work in the 2008 astra, you have to pull out the factory unit and mix and match the wires. The astra is the first car ive had where you couldnt just plug and play. You have to get a BMW wiring harness and match the wires from factory to aftermarket ignoring the colors. You can find wiring diagrams online for the astra but i havent found one that is accurate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JRU224 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
beerhecht
beerhecht is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
1993 SC2

I purchased a wiring harness from Crutchfield and it connected to the factory plug without any issues. Color codes matched and everything. The only thing you need to find is a source of switched power. If you search this forum, you will find what you need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beerhecht's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beerhecht reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beerhecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
JRU224

2008 Astra XR

I've looked at crutchfield a few times since I got my car, hoping that they would have what I need, but every time I checked they didn't have anything for the astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
beerhecht

2008 Astra XR
1993 SC2

This is the one you want:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207090...e-Harness.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help beerhecht reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #8
ned_hamstring
ned_hamstring is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I'm looking at a new head unit from crutchfield. The description on the harness does not say anything about BC controls. Were you able to keep any of functions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ned_hamstring's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ned_hamstring reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ned_hamstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #9
JRU224

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned_hamstring View Post
I'm looking at a new head unit from crutchfield. The description on the harness does not say anything about BC controls. Were you able to keep any of functions?
No. The only control that works is the dial on the left hand side of steering wheel, and it will only allow you to go through the differrent types of fuel consumption and the stop watch. You do still have the display screen with time, day, and temp, but you cant change the clock and mine fell back a day somehow. The only way to fix those is to reattach the stock radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
beerhecht

2008 Astra XR
1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRU224 View Post
No. The only control that works is the dial on the left hand side of steering wheel, and it will only allow you to go through the differrent types of fuel consumption and the stop watch. You do still have the display screen with time, day, and temp, but you cant change the clock and mine fell back a day somehow. The only way to fix those is to reattach the stock radio.
I think the dealer can reset the time as well. There is a harness sold out of the UK that will allow you to retain the other BC functions, but it is expensive and (from what I've read) problematic. I chose to just ignore the clock.

You could always put some black electrical tape on the screen so you don't have to look at the clock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:58 AM   #11
goldsworthyj
goldsworthyj is on a distinguished road

if you want to control the menu, you have to buy a stalk adapter from the UK; it will set you back about $100 us, 80lbs$. it will make the controls on the steering wheel make the after market radio do things like reset and configure.

anyone do a remote start?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goldsworthyj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goldsworthyj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goldsworthyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
luke.111
luke.111 is on a distinguished road

To get yourself up and running, you probably just need a switched +12V power source, which SpencerB identified in step 9 of this post (LINK).

Here's more info on the radio upgrade process (incl. how to keep access to the BC menu):
THREAD: Upgraded my radio

And on doing it while retaining OnStar:
THREAD: Replace radio and retain OnStar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luke.111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luke.111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luke.111 is offline   Reply With Quote