SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
MilwaukeeMike
MilwaukeeMike is on a distinguished road

Default Engine Misfire

2008 VUE XR

Another engine light this weekend. Came on shortly after ignition. I had filled up with 16 gallons the day before at a different station. 95% of the time I use the same gas station...

Onstar remote diagnostic came back with an Engine Misfire code and informed me that since it's on steady and not flashing, I should take the car in for service within 7 days.

I had hoped it would reset itself, but hasn't yet. The car is driving fine. The car is out of warranty.

Would like some advice. Should I drop $35-$50 on an OBD-II diagnostic scanner via Amazon to reset the code to see if it returns, or should I take it in to a service shop for a scan/reset? Would they charge me anything for the scan and reset?

I'm assuming because the car's driving well that it was a one-time thing, and I could use the scanner in the future. I called a few auto parts stores. They'll do a free scan, but indicated that it's against the law to reset engine codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MilwaukeeMike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MilwaukeeMike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MilwaukeeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Engine Misfire

I'd go for the free scan, write any error codes on paper for posting and look for one fuse to pull; it'll be the main ignition fuse labeled as such or ECM B+ or PCM B+ or something like it. As a last resort you can pull the battery negative cable for a minute; this does the same reset of the SES indicator but you lose the radio presets. There is no law preventing you from resetting your car's computer. Its been posted by some here that some clerks will hand the reader to the car owner; what the car owner does to the reader isn't the clerk's concern if the clerk looks the other way for a moment.............

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Way2QWK
Way2QWK is on a distinguished road

should be covered by the 7yr/ 100k powertrain warrenty.

***Saturn Tech and owner of Planet Automotive in Tucson AZ. Specializing in Saturn repairs.

94 SW2- custom intake and ported throttle body
2003 Saturn Vue 3.0 v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Way2QWK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Way2QWK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Way2QWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
MilwaukeeMike
MilwaukeeMike is on a distinguished road

Thanks. It ended up reseting itself after a few days. Maybe had some weak gas or something...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MilwaukeeMike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MilwaukeeMike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MilwaukeeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
JenK
JenK is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Engine Misfire - known computer software upgrade needed

I just had the same thing happen to me on a 2008 Vue RL. The transmission almost seemed to be slipping when I was driving one day and when starting it the very next day, I heard a strange sound and the car began idling rough and then the engine light came on. Took it into the dealer (mine has been in the shop more than it's been on the road since I bought it). Apparently, at least according to the GM dealer, there is a software upgrade available that owners haven't been notified about; I guess they're waiting for the problem to happen and you have to take it in. Again, this is according to the dealer, but they say there's a computer error that causes the car to misfire and the check engine light to come on. They said there were 3 instances in the computer where a misfire had been recognized. This is good information for anyone that has the same thing happen to them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JenK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JenK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
VueRLowner
VueRLowner is on a distinguished road

Happened to me, light kept coming on then going off everytime I took it in. The first time they sent me away, the second time they said "it's missing" gotta check it out. 4 Weeks later I got my car back with a newly rebuilt engine. Make sure they investigate as far as possible to make sure there's no damage to the internals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VueRLowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VueRLowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VueRLowner is offline   Reply With Quote