SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
aruschmann84
aruschmann84 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SL2
Default 1995 Saturn Sl2 Racecar

Just a couple of questions. We're looking at buying a sc1 and swapping in a DOHC engine. What are the gear ratio differences between the SOHC and DOHC 5 speeds? Also what simple things can be done to make them faster? Gonna make a cold air intake and probably run it up by the headlights? Rules state everything is supposed to remain stock suspension wise. How adjustable are the front ends for caster and camber? Is the 4spd Auto worth building? Have a good DOHC auto? Questions and comments welcome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aruschmann84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aruschmann84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aruschmann84 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: 1995 Saturn Sl2 Racecar

You will want the DOHC manual trans. Readily available cold air intakes put the filter in the driver side fender, but home-made could go wherever you want of course. Probably the best thing you could do for more power is to be able to tune the fuel. Not sure if that's allowed in your organization though.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

we have one of those (see picture). my son drives it and ended 12th of 57 in our first year. does good but has trouble keeping up with the hondas here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
aruschmann84

1996 SL2
1997 SL2

The Vtec hondas aren't legal here and the non-vtec ones can barely keep up with the 2.2 cavaliers. I think I'll avoid the wheel well cause of all the dirt and possible tire shredding. I just have to design some kind of box deal to keep the mud out by the headlight. Does anyone know the actual gear ratios of the trannys? We have many 14 and 15 inch tires so I might be able to make something work with the SOHC tranny. Thanks for the info. Last year we were battling a DOHC auto Grand Am so any manual has to be better than that slow thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help aruschmann84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

LowSaturn has the info you need on his differentracing.com site:

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...gearratio.html

Good Luck with the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

dirt track racing a fwd car? do you drive backwards?

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
dirt track racing a fwd car? do you drive backwards?
Plenty of people do it, nothing wrong with it.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

just never heard of it before.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
aruschmann84

1996 SL2
1997 SL2

this will be our 5th year in the hornet (fwd) class. There are 6 different classes where we race. Hornet-Modified. Some places even let v6 fwd race. My brother drives a v8 rwd cutlass. The fwd is the cheap class

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
aruschmann84

1996 SL2
1997 SL2

Here is a video from the track its from 2 years ago

youtube.com/watch?v=dTI_vCyfmRo&feature=

theres more videos if you search AaronCoffee hes the one that taped them all. My car is the 4 door Cavalier Orange thats usually bringing up the rear. Slow but dependable and a 3spd auto. Sorry don't have enough posts to direct link it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
dirtysaturn
dirtysaturn is on a distinguished road

A big thing we have found with racing the fwd on dirt is notching out the strut tower and setting your caster camber at the track i run we changer the caster 3 deg. and i can almost flat foot it just an idea

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dirtysaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dirtysaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dirtysaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No one stated this, I'm surprised, but the Sx2 cars not only come with the DOHC engine, but actually have a rear sway bar, and thicker front sway bar. Since you can't change the suspension, you might be better off starting with this car. Plus, I thought with hornet racing you had to keep it under a certain amount, which the parts for an engine swap would cut down on what else you could spend.

Check and see if you can put the front sway bar from a Sx1 into the Sx2, I seem to recall someone doing it on their dirt track car. For various racing, some prefer the smaller front sway bar.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
Disophisis
Disophisis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
No one stated this, I'm surprised, but the Sx2 cars not only come with the DOHC engine, but actually have a rear sway bar, and thicker front sway bar. Since you can't change the suspension, you might be better off starting with this car. Plus, I thought with hornet racing you had to keep it under a certain amount, which the parts for an engine swap would cut down on what else you could spend.

Check and see if you can put the front sway bar from a Sx1 into the Sx2, I seem to recall someone doing it on their dirt track car. For various racing, some prefer the smaller front sway bar.
I'd say look for an sc2 or sl2 with a dohc for sure.

1993 SC2, 5sp, 144,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Disophisis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Disophisis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Disophisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
vtsl2
Advanced Member
vtsl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SL2

Not to sure about dirt cars, but on the asphalt, sway bars work just backwards of what you would think.

The smaller the bar on the front and the lagest on the rear, why i'm not sure.I guess it keeps the front tires planted on the ground. I do tech for one of the local 1/3 mile asphalt tracks in my area, and that is what every body does, some of the racers don, even run a front bar just rear.

But with a satty you have to have the front bar, thats what keepthe front end together.

SATURNS ROCK: THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
01 sc2m mine
93 sc2m my sons
06 chevy 2500 crew 6.6 DMAX
99 sw2a converted to manuel now a race car
02 chevy Silverado extened cab stepside
99 sl2m retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vtsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vtsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vtsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #15
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

SL2...

the '1' cars all came with the 100hp sohc engine, and a wide ratio econo geared manual trans (if you got the stick). softer suspension, drums out back

the '2' cars came with a 124hp DOHC engine and a close ratio gearbox, better suspension and depending on the year 4 wheel disc brakes

Some guys just stick a KN filter on the throttle body. Raise the back of the hood on a few washers and it'd help keep underhood temps down (and a little colder air for the engine to inhale).

Then: 1993SC2m
Now: 1996 Jeep XJ, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Rear disc brakes were NOT dependent on model, with one exception. DOHC and SOHC models ("1" and "2") could be had with ABS, and that was the only way to get rear discs. The only relationship between rear brake type and model was that most (but evidently not all) wagons with ABS still got rear drums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
PurdueGuy
Master Member

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993SC2 View Post
SL2...

the '1' cars all came with the 100hp sohc engine, and a wide ratio econo geared manual trans (if you got the stick). softer suspension, drums out back
'91-'94 SOHC were 85hp.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
S.Bretz
S.Bretz is on a distinguished road

You may want to put 5 qts of oil in the crankcase.
There is a guy in my area that used to come bay askign me to build him an engine bacause he keep wipeing out bearings on while doing dirt circle track.
I suggested to add another qt of oil to help keep the pick-up wet and haven't heard back from him in about 3 yrs...so I would imagine that worked. :lol:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S.Bretz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S.Bretz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S.Bretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #19
aruschmann84

1996 SL2
1997 SL2

so the DOhc have a 7250 rev limiter? We took the new car out for a practice and not sure if they swapped a auto ecm or not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #20
Thor4SL2
Thor4SL2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruschmann84 View Post
Questions and comments welcome
With the S series transmission you will absolutely need to weld the differential pin. On dirt the wheel spin will kill the transmission pronto if you donít. Search here or at 6th Sphere to learn how.

It's not what you know that counts,
it's what you think of in time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thor4SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thor4SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thor4SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote