SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
capotoo
capotoo is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default 2007 Hybrid? This forum, another...or both?

Hi folks.
I'd been shopping for a 2006 4 cylinder, 5 speed, which in Detroit are pricing out around 12K I think. (Certified vehicles...saw a Certified 2006 for $9K but it's gone....)

Yesterday I saw a 2007 Hybrid at $15K, 50,000 miles(also Certified)

Maybe this is the wrong forum, but since there doesn't seem to be a ton of recent activity for these kind of questions on the Vue Hybrid forum, I thought I'd ask a couple of a couple of questions here...and be directed elsewhere if necessary...

-would a 4 cylinder, either Hybrid or not, be sufficient to tow a trailer (class III hitch) with two Suzuki scooters that would weigh in at a total of 1000lbs? that may mean that the trailer and bikes end up being a total of about 1800-2000?

-was the hybrid available only as a 4 cylinder, and only as an automatic?. Any known issues?

-does it have enough pep for merging onto freeways? I can to some degree control that issue using a 4 cylinder with a 5 speed, but not so much with an automatic. I keep asking about 4 cylinders because I'm so spoiled by my peppy 1999 SC2 5 speed that constantly gives me 32 mpg. (That's why I'm thinking about the Hybrid.I could get close to that mpg but have an SUV...my SC2 and my 59 year old back and legs don't do too well trying to get my new grandson and carseat in the back!!!!!

-I've seen things about battery recalls. Anything else about dependability? Would the battery be part of the 5 year 100,000 powertrain warranty, or only the 12 month 12,000 mile?

I keep my cars for a LOOOONG time. My current 1999 SC2 has 202,000. I gave away an Accord at 380,000 and sold an Acura at 200,000+ I'm enthused about the polymer panels in Saturns, hence the interest in '07 or '06, because my Saturns won't RUST like my Hondas did.(otherwise I might buy an Aura...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to capotoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help capotoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
capotoo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2007 Hybrid? This forum, another...or both?

The 4 cylinder 5 speed has plenty of pep to merge safely with traffic. I live in the Denver area and my VUE is sucking in air at an altitude of about 5800 feet and has no problems.

Gas mileage certainly won't be as good as your SC2, because the VUE is substaintally heavier with about the same size/power engine. I typically get around 25 mpgs in pure city driving. If I keep highway speeds under 60-65, then I can get in the 27-29 range. Open up the speeds on the interstates to the tune of 75-80 and I get about 22 mpgs.

I've towed about 2000 pounds with my VUE once on flat Kansas terrain. It did fine. I don't think I'd venture into the mountains in Colorado trying to pull that much weight though.

The VUE's ingress and egress is a breeze and the larger rear door openings make getting kids in and out very easy as well (I have a 2 year old and a 3.5 year old and I've had the VUE since before they were born so I've gone through almost all the stages of car seats).

Other than that, the motor and transmission are very stout. There were some issues on timing chain failures on the early versions (circa 2002-2003) of the 2.2L due to oiling problems, but those have since been fixed. The slave cylinder on the transmission has been known to fail require expensive garage-only service. But I haven't been hearing too much about that recently and wonder if it's possible that the issue has been resolved. My 2004 has almost 60,000 miles on it and hasn't had any issues.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

IMO, I'd stay away from they hybrid because you're like me (A long term owner).

I can't say enough good about what a great engine that Honda supplied Saturn for the VUE. It can tow 3500 pounds, is smoother and more powerful than any engine ever used in a VUE. Driven conservatively you can get 28 highway, and 24 in mixed city driving. The Honda V6 would have no problems dealing with hills.

The ECOTEC is also a fine engine. I've driven many with the 4 spd automatics, and they were great transportation. I don't recommend towing with them, especially if you have to deal with hills. I've drove several 4-cyl VUE's with no load and they had to work going up the hills in Boulder, CO.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I've drove several 4-cyl VUE's with no load and they had to work going up the hills in Boulder, CO.
That's where a manual and a willingness to let the revs build come in handy. I've driven my VUE to the parking lot at Mount Evans (over 14,000 feet) and at no point was I wishing for more power.

To each their own.

But I agree, stay away from the hybrid if you plan on long term ownership unless you don't mind potential high maintainence costs as that hybrid system needs specialized attention.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
SaturnVUE04
SaturnVUE04 is on a distinguished road

The 4 cyl 5-speed manual I think would be your best bet. I have 61k on mine with a few problems (rear wiper, strut mount, squeaky suspension)
I'm a 20 year old (tomorrow) college student, and it sure keeps up with my driving style. Believe me, I don't take my time.
If you need to get somewhere though, you just need to not be afraid to punch it. I find that a lot of people (even in autos) are afraid to really push the gas hard. I catch myself frequently punching the gas pedal of any car to merge onto expressways and whatnot (even in my dad's G8 GT)
-Joe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnVUE04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnVUE04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnVUE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
silversurfer13
silversurfer13 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Id go with the reg 2.2L with 5 speed also...the upkeep(maint) is very low..and will be compared to a honda engine(i love hondas.but!) now I havent towed anything with mine yet..but if ur not affraid to rev up the engine a little bit..ull have plenty of power...and listens to the ones that have the 2.2L and tow...i get 25 city 30 hwy..if u run with traffic on hwy or cruise fast like 65 or higher, it does go down....2 other things...i have heard the 3.5L is very fast and strong..and test drive it..and see if u think it will have enough power..p.s i wouldnt want one in auto..i know that the hp is down, loose it in the wheels and u dont have the control as u stated..3.5L well thats a different story....but yea test drive it..and see...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silversurfer13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silversurfer13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silversurfer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

There's not much activity in the hybrid section of the forum because there aren't many owners. It was a fairly limited-production model. We've had our 2007 VUE Green Line since Feb 2007, and have about 40k on it. We couldn't be happier with it.

To answer your questions, the 2007 GL has a tow capacity of 1500 lbs, and should have no trouble with your trailer (1000 lbs for 2 scooters? My 500 CC motorcycle weighs ~350). It was available as a 4-cylinder (2.4 L ecotec), 4-speed automatic only. The torque smoothing provided by the motor-generator in the hybrid makes this a very smooth driving car. Yes, a six-speed would be nice, but the torque provided by the hybrid system makes the 4-speed perfectly adequate. We've averaged 29 mpg since new, doing mostly in-town and rural driving. The lowest tank was just under 25 and the highest was 35 (all highway). The tank range has been as high as 540 miles.

The powertrain has enough pep (it's not a rocket, but for a small SUV, it's perfectly adequate), and the engine happily turns below 2000 rpm cruising at 60--much lower than the manual version. This thing just eats highway miles. The GL is my wife's car (I drive a manual Astra), and I always enjoy the smooth and sedate nature of this car. I also like how it yields nearly the same mileage as my little 1.8 manual-tranny hatchback.

The 2007 hybrids had a recall to replace the battery due to a design flaw. No issues have been reported with the new batteries. Otherwise, the hybrid system is quite a bit simpler than "full hybrids", and the engine and tranny are utterly conventional. To answer your other question, the battery and all the other hybrid components are covered for 8 years / 100k miles, in addition to the regular 5/60 GM powertrain warranty. We've had no issues since the recall, and judging by the lack of activity on the forum, that seems to be the norm.

Good luck on your choice. A VUE in any form should suit your needs, and if you go for the hybrid, I think you'll be satisfied--we sure are with ours.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
brutedawg20
brutedawg20 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Hi wanted to post my opinions as my wife has a 07 vue hybrid. We take the car everywhere we go. Camping, tailgating, trips ect. the 2.4 @ 170 hp is good enough to scoot through traffic or merge onto the highway. I am currently in the process of looking for a trailer hitch to tow a small trailer so this thread is useful. The car has plenty of room. My wife averages 27 city miles and drive at 45-50 mph daily 15 miles each way to work. this mileage increades on the highway which is always a mixture of city highway and we generally get 25-29 mpg. (just put a K&N air filter in and MPG average seemsed to to up 1-1.5) Very pleased with the car.
With that being said, we did have a battery cable recall that was fixed. Then we started having engine light problems and the "hybrid mode" did not work. The car was serviced 4 times for the same light. The batteries were replaced and modules were replaced and computers were re-flashed. It was a frustrating time. The batteries were also replaced. I believe all 07 hybrids should have the "new style" batteries in them under a recall?
In the long run this car has a 5 yr 100,000 mi warranty and does not need serviced (tune up-stuff) until 100,000 mi. I have no doubt this car will go over 100,000 miles. We have not had any trouble or unscheduled services since that 1 issue. That issue was at 15,000 mi and there is now 40,000 miles on it. I personally would buy another. My wife loves her car she has named "delilah".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brutedawg20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brutedawg20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brutedawg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
brutedawg20
brutedawg20 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

I retract my previous statement. That blasted check engine light came back on today.....back to the service department to find out whats wrong. I think I will be looking to trade the vehicle in this time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brutedawg20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brutedawg20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brutedawg20 is offline   Reply With Quote