SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
iondrivingfoo
iondrivingfoo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Ignition switch/passlock/cold weather start?

I'm a little confused here. My '04 QC2 has been giving me issues starting. I live in eastern Canada where the temps have been record low at times this winter and we have alot of snow. In the last month there have been several times when it wouldn't start until I let it sit 10 minutes or so. Sometimes that works but sometimes it doesn't. Two days ago I filled up at the gas station and waited four 10 minutes 'sessions' only to give up on it. So I pushed it into a parking spot 30 feet away and decided to get a cab to work. After I got it into the spot, I tried one last time and it fired up and ran. No problems for a few days after that. Today, same thing. But this time it started after two 10 minute 'sessions' and ran fine afterwards.

I called the dealer a few weeks back and he explained that it was a faulty ignition switch combined with a "600 second delay caused by the Theft Deterrent System".

I've tried the 'search' button and read about several starting issues but my problem seems to be a combination of a few things. Any suggestions outside of just replacing the ignition switch? I don't have a ton of extra money in my pockets if you read between the lines.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iondrivingfoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iondrivingfoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
iondrivingfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
paulo
paulo will become famous soon enoughpaulo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Ignition switch/passlock/cold weather start?

Saturn has issued a technical service bulletin on this "no crank no start " issue. The ignition switch costs about $40 and is easy to install. There is a 30 minute reprograming of the switch with instructions on this web site as well as lots of technical information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
iondrivingfoo

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Is there a site that you can read about technical service bulletins? The dealer told me an ignition switch could run over 150 bucks! God, I love this forum. lol I'm gonna search that video tonight after work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help iondrivingfoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you only have one problem, the same problem everyone else has, pull out your ignition switch and degrease it, not all the way, only leave a very small amount to lube the contacts, then reassemble it (you may need to relearn passlock, not sure, but you shouldn't) and go like hell.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
iondrivingfoo

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Whoa. I'm not very mechanically inclined, is this something that is relatively easy?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...t=92569&page=3 read the last post, I have seen the autopsy film, it's a straight forward disassembly, they also posted a link to removal instructions.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
iondrivingfoo

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Thanks. I've been searching the posts and was wondering about re-learning the passlock. If I follow the 3 x 10 min cycles and the passlock is re-learned, would this mean that (in theory) I shouldn't need to do it again?

or

Will I have to remove, clean, and replace the ignition switch and THEN re-learn the passlock?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you "shouldn't" need to relearn it, but if it won't work, you will have to.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iondrivingfoo View Post
Will I have to remove, clean, and replace the ignition switch and THEN re-learn the passlock?

This one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

no, if you use the same switch, you shouldn't have to relearn anything, you program in the resistance of the resistor when you relearn passlock, that's all, so you shouldn't have to if you have the same resistor in the circuit.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
daver

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Even if the connection is broken during the cleaning process?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
iondrivingfoo

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Even if the connection is broken during the cleaning process?

If the connection is broken then I assume I'd need a whole new ignition switch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
daver

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

I guess I should have worded that a little better. What I mean is, if it is disconnected at any time during the process.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

mine did this today for the first time. F Saturn and GM!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

why? because they chose a bad grease for the application? all you have to do is degrease it and put the thinnest possible coat back on it and it should perform just fine.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
nababbo

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
why? because they chose a bad grease for the application? all you have to do is degrease it and put the thinnest possible coat back on it and it should perform just fine.
I had sold my 1990 Prelude because I wanted to make sure I never got stranded. Well, that car with 261,000 miles never let me stranded. A 5 year old Saturn with 50,000 miles managed to do that in the middle of my driveway because of a problem in the manufacturing process. GM does not want to fix the $30 problem. I'll take my business elsewhere for my next car, does not look like their $30 instant savings will pay off.....I hope they go bankrupt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #17
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I was stranded by my brand new saturn, and was very upset the factory couldn't manage to tighten a battery cable, so I understand you're frustration, however, this is not something worth getting rid of a car you already have, especially when it is so easily fixed.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #18
nababbo

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
I was stranded by my brand new saturn, and was very upset the factory couldn't manage to tighten a battery cable, so I understand you're frustration, however, this is not something worth getting rid of a car you already have, especially when it is so easily fixed.
you're right, but you know I won't look at GM again when the time comes....
they can't even manage to give people an improved replacement part. What a joke.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I agree, or even if they offered to clean the current switch and reinstall it for something like a half-hour's labor charge instead of charging for the part and like an hour and a half of electrical labor.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #20
iondrivingfoo

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

It happened again this morning but today it did something a bit different. The first time I gave it 15 minutes and nothing - not even a crank. (Mind you the key was in the 'acc' position the whole 15 minutes). Then I simply made arrangements to catch a ride with my g/f later on. So, as we're leaving the house 25 minutes later she says "do you wanna try it one more time?". I did and it started immediately. Anyway, I guess I'm gonna attempt this on the weekend.

Now which is the best grease to put on it? I believe someone said a light silicone grease. Sound about right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!