SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
yogi_pahl
yogi_pahl is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default no start has gas and spark ???

I just got the car and it ran fine. Well i popped off the temperature sensor while it was running to see if that would bring the idle down and it did. I shut the car off and when i go to start it it starts up but real ruff but then was running fine. Then today i took off the TB and cleaned it up and now it won't start at all. IT has spark and is getting gas but to running. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yogi_pahl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yogi_pahl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yogi_pahl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
Default Re: no start has gas and spark ???

If you left the ECTS unhooked, it has too much gas and has flooded. Replace the ECTS and check the connector for corrosion.

After that, you may have to crank with WOT (gas pedal held to the floor). Actually you could probably crank now with WOT but that won't fix the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
yogi_pahl

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
If you left the ECTS unhooked, it has too much gas and has flooded. Replace the ECTS and check the connector for corrosion.

After that, you may have to crank with WOT (gas pedal held to the floor). Actually you could probably crank now with WOT but that won't fix the problem.
That's what i had to do last night and it worked but it's still hooked up and not starting even at WOT.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help yogi_pahl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Still need to replace the ECTS and inspect the connector for corrosion. If any corrosion (green muck) is found, replace the connector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
yogi_pahl

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Still need to replace the ECTS and inspect the connector for corrosion. If any corrosion (green muck) is found, replace the connector.
no corrosion no the connector at all. Could anything with removing the TB have anything to do with it? Also i have a Service engine soon light on now. Is thear any way to pull the code at home with out a scan tool. I know my honda you could jump to pins and the light would flash the code?

Last edited by yogi_pahl; 01-07-2009 at 06:49 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Pull a plug and see if it's soaked with gas.

OBDII code reader or scanner is required to pull the codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

'96 changed over to OBD II and paper clipping is no longer an option. You have to drop by Autozone or other chain store that can scan for codes, FREE. I just saw an AAMCO (in NYC) TV ad claiming FREE scanning! Get the codes, write them down and post them here.

The question to ask you, did you remove the temperature sensor from the air intake tube, the temperature sensor for the temperature gauge in the car, or the temperature sensor for the coolant (below the sensor for the temp gauge)? If I'm not mistaken, you have (3)three temperature sensors and each does a specific job so you'll need to be more specific before confusing anyone/everyone (at the least, me). The next question to ask is why? What were you trying to accomplish?

If this is your first Saturn and you have a starting and running problem, the first thing to check is location of the various sensors and knowing which sensor is which. There's a member, Wolfman, that has collected a picture gallery of engine sensors that you might want to look over to identify which sensors you think are fouling up or contributing to problems. One of the first suggestions to any S-series car owner is to use the Forum Jump below and find the How-to library for videos and procedures on checking and replacing the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) if the original one is still on the engine. The temperature gauge sensor is not the same type as its a single wire sensor. The coolant sensor is a two-wire one. The references to green corrosion is for the two-wire connector. If the engine is flooded you may have to remove the plugs to be sure they are and then dry them off, crank the engine over a few seconds to blow out any remaining raw gas before reinstalling the plugs again. Then be sure you still have spark to all the plugs so more troubleshooting help can proceed.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Cheyne

2000 SL2

96 has only 1 2-wire ECTS that feeds the pcm and the temp gauge on the dash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

How do you know the SES light is on, other than for the bulb check, if the engine won't start?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If the SES is on for an active DTC it will stay on with the key in run even if you never go to start. If there is no active DTC set the SES will go out at the completion of the bulb check time, key in run but not to start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
yogi_pahl

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post

The question to ask you, did you remove the temperature sensor from the air intake tube, the temperature sensor for the temperature gauge in the car, or the temperature sensor for the coolant (below the sensor for the temp gauge)? If I'm not mistaken, you have (3)three temperature sensors and each does a specific job so you'll need to be more specific before confusing anyone/everyone (at the least, me). The next question to ask is why? What were you trying to accomplish?

If this is your first Saturn and you have a starting and running problem, the first thing to check is location of the various sensors and knowing which sensor is which. There's a member, Wolfman, that has collected a picture gallery of engine sensors that you might want to look over to identify which sensors you think are fouling up or contributing to problems. One of the first suggestions to any S-series car owner is to use the Forum Jump below and find the How-to library for videos and procedures on checking and replacing the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) if the original one is still on the engine. The temperature gauge sensor is not the same type as its a single wire sensor. The coolant sensor is a two-wire one. The references to green corrosion is for the two-wire connector. If the engine is flooded you may have to remove the plugs to be sure they are and then dry them off, crank the engine over a few seconds to blow out any remaining raw gas before reinstalling the plugs again. Then be sure you still have spark to all the plugs so more troubleshooting help can proceed.
Sorry abut that i took off the temperature sensor connector for the coolant. The car was idling high and the temp gauge on the dash was not working. I popped it off to see if it would idle normal. I just got back from taking the old sensor out(had a crack in it) and putting in a new one. I then took out the spark plugs to find a lot of gas. Let it dry out put them back in. Cranked it with the pedal 1/2 way down and she started up and after a few mints now idles at about 800 and the gauge now works. As far as the SES light it was just my mistaken in a bit of a panic. Thanks everyone. You guys rock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

GREAT! Now I'm unconfused! BTW, when EFI systems work correctly you'll never have to push on the gas pedal when starting. Flooding is a whole other topic (failed sensor) and what was suggested before about flooring the gas pedal is correct but only when you know an engine is flooded as you found out. Replacing the coolant sensor and drying out the plugs was all that was necessary without opening the throttle a little. It was more peace of mind for you than the engine as the brass sensor fixed your problem about flooding. Try it next time, start without using the gas pedal. It does work, provided the EFI system is more or less in good operating condition. Without any meddling on my part and going through three cars with EFI, they all start without me ever pressing the gas pedal. Summer and winter.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
yogi_pahl

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
GREAT! Now I'm unconfused! BTW, when EFI systems work correctly you'll never have to push on the gas pedal when starting. Flooding is a whole other topic (failed sensor) and what was suggested before about flooring the gas pedal is correct but only when you know an engine is flooded as you found out. Replacing the coolant sensor and drying out the plugs was all that was necessary without opening the throttle a little. It was more peace of mind for you than the engine as the brass sensor fixed your problem about flooding. Try it next time, start without using the gas pedal. It does work, provided the EFI system is more or less in good operating condition. Without any meddling on my part and going through three cars with EFI, they all start without me ever pressing the gas pedal. Summer and winter.
YA old habits die hard. I traded a 67 f100 with a 351m/400 for the sl1 and this is only my 2nd EFI car ever, im more old school.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!