SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
CrucialTK
CrucialTK is on a distinguished road

Default OnStar: Worth it?

My free time expires in 6 weeks, debating whether or not to renew.

Ya'll think it's worth it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrucialTK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrucialTK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrucialTK is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2
Default Re: OnStar: Worth it?

Have you used it enough to justify another bill?

Personally I would use it if and only if I didn't have a cell phone or drove enough deserted roads. The crash response is a nice feature if one ever needed it. If you lock your keys in a lot it can be useful too.

I solved any chance of locking/losing a key in with an extra key made that is attached to a harbinger clip with my house keys, which is always attached to a belt loop. My actual everyday key with fob is attached to nothing. So if I lose my key/fob I still have a key attached to me to drive the car.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111834

/thread

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
NOLA-Vue
NOLA-Vue is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2006 VUE 2.2L

It all depends. Who drives your car or rides in it frequently? If you're a woman with small children you might benefit. An older woman driving around, or some distance from home? A teenage daughter out and about at night? If you are a male, young or older, you may never need it. There are no sexist issues intended here, just a question of reality. Females alone are at greater risk than are males. It just is, what it is!

OnStar can be viewed as a form of insurance. If you need protection from certain risks then it is worth it. If a particular risk is acceptable to you, then you don't need it. I've paid auto insurance for decades and rarely really had to use it. Same thing with most homeowner features on my house. It's a risk based decision, and you are ultimately the only one who can determine if you need OnStar.

"The principle difference between a man and a dog is that if you take a dog in and make him prosperous, he won't bite you!" - Mark Twain

2008 Aura XE-4
2006 VUE 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NOLA-Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NOLA-Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NOLA-Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA-Vue View Post
It all depends. Who drives your car or rides in it frequently? If you're a woman with small children you might benefit. An older woman driving around, or some distance from home? A teenage daughter out and about at night? If you are a male, young or older, you may never need it. There are no sexist issues intended here, just a question of reality. Females alone are at greater risk than are males. It just is, what it is!

OnStar can be viewed as a form of insurance. If you need protection from certain risks then it is worth it. If a particular risk is acceptable to you, then you don't need it. I've paid auto insurance for decades and rarely really had to use it. Same thing with most homeowner features on my house. It's a risk based decision, and you are ultimately the only one who can determine if you need OnStar.
Very well said. I have a cell phone. I'm a single male in excellent health. This is another form of insurance (I think most insurance are scams). Hence, I would never purchase this. But you might depending on your circumstances.
I hide a key under my car - I've locked myself out of my car about four times in the last 20 years. I just go grab the key under the car.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Well, they gave me a free trial, even though my Aura is pre-owned.

I really love the turn-by-turn nav, and the virtual advisor for a weather forcast.

I am a part-time singer, and I usually travel to a bunch of different places I haven't been before, so the turn-by-turn is super convenient.

Personally, I wouldn't use the minutes for the phone (only the virtual advisor), it is much to expensive. I have a bluetooth, and thats good enough for me.. If I could integrate the car into my cell phone via bluetooth, that would be awesome, but you can't win them all.

i've also used the red button once to be a "good samaritan" and report a crash.

So I guess it would come down to if I had the money, then I probably would continue to subscribe. I'm just afraid that it may prove very helpful if I need it..

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
aurawoman
aurawoman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.6L

The first of July in Ca you will not be able to use a cell phone without handsfree in the car. I have Verizon and my cell can be forwarded to the car phone when I am in the car so I will probably keep it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aurawoman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aurawoman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aurawoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Wrench Worth the DISCOUNT rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialTK View Post
My free time expires in 6 weeks, debating whether or not to renew.
Ya'll think it's worth it?
I think it is worth the discount price - barely.
MrsBFD likes having it, but agreed that it didn't do anything worth the standard rate. Call and politely ask for the cancellation department ... and when asked why, politely point out that you feel you are paying far too much for very little, and that most of their selling points are quite unlikely [most are scare tactics, in my opinion].
-Lockout prevention, you say?
... How?!? Who locks an OnStar equipped car by a method other than via the RKE? There you are, standing outside the car with the key in hand, and then you lock it ... so how to get locked out?
-Call police in an emergency?
... Great, if you have no phone.
-Crash notification?
... nifty, if you drive a lot in deserted areas.
-Remote diagnostics?
... not all that helpful if you actually have a problem. [at least it wasn't for me in my ION] The OLM is spiffy if you can't track your own oil changes, I suppose.
-Hands-free phone?
... It is getting hard to find a cell phone without speaker-phone these days.
-Theft prevention?
... My insurance company [and every one I talk to] doesn't factor in OnStar for a discount ... I haven't checked everyone, but who is actually getting an OnStar discount? I'd love to know.
-Towing?
... OK, I'll leave towing as a fully good thing ... but is it worth $20/month?

None of these features were worth $20/month [that's $240/year!] to us. If I hadn't been offered the discount, I would have canceled, signed up for AAA [the towing / roadside assistance is worth something] and been done with the service.

If you offer to pay in a lump, the discount gets a bit better, also ... If I remember correctly, we got a year for $149 and a free 100 phone minutes tossed in.

Remember, you already bought the hardware ... so anything OnStar can get you to pay after that is profit, minus the cost of occasionally answering your calls and compiling that detailed remote diagnostics report.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...69#post1227269

still rolling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
apple jacks48
apple jacks48 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I didn't use it once or even think about using it the entire year I had it for free. So I say no its not worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to apple jacks48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help apple jacks48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
apple jacks48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I've used OnStar several times on trips for turn-by-turn directions which is GREAT (I love the automatic rerouting in case you come up on an accident or detour), and a couple times for accidents I've seen and pushed the "Red Cross" button to summon immediate response of emergency personnel.

I also feel very secure with the automatic crash notification, theft tracking and lock-out feature. I think it's well worth the cost. Oh... and I like the hands-free telephone and voice dialing, which I've used quite a bit in the 8 months I've had my XR. I have a friend who was being harassed by a road-rage idiot; she pushed her "Red Cross" button and within a couple of minutes, a highway patrolman pulled up behind the idiot and pulled him over. She'll be renewing for sure, and I'll definitely renew when it comes up. (And XM radio, too, which I've become hooked on).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Worth the DISCOUNT rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
-Theft prevention?
... My insurance company [and every one I talk to] doesn't factor in OnStar for a discount ... I haven't checked everyone, but who is actually getting an OnStar discount? I'd love to know.
GMAC Insurance actually offers a substantial discount. it's over $100/period, which damn near pays for the onStar. And if you enroll in monthly diag so they can track your mileage, and you drive <12k/yr, they give you even more of a discount.

it was insane really - they beat GEICO for me by nearly $200
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
I've used OnStar several times on trips for turn-by-turn directions which is GREAT (I love the automatic rerouting in case you come up on an accident or detour),
i don't feel this is valid to charge a subscription for. you buy a GPS unit for $150 once and get the same feature forever. that's what i just did
Quote:
and I like the hands-free telephone and voice dialing, which I've used quite a bit in the 8 months I've had my XR.
get a GPS w/ bluetooth integration and you can do the same exact thing, no subscription fee
Quote:
(And XM radio, too, which I've become hooked on).
again, get a portable XM radio, same subscription fee, but now you can move it between any car you own. another thing i did

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
Tom-ADC
Tom-ADC is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan

We like it of course we are a little older then some here. When the car messwed up I called onstar to run a system check to see what went wrong, took 30 seconds. So we'll keep it

2007 Aura XE 3.5
1969 Dodge Dart GT
1971 Dodge D-100 shortbed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom-ADC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom-ADC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom-ADC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #13
steelerman
steelerman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I like it. In fact, we got rid of our cell phones because of Onstar and the hands free phone. We also like the monthly diagnostic report. I agree with the member who said that Turn by Turn Nav was too much money. We bought a Garmin and use that.

|||Steelerman|||

Current Vehicles:
10 VW Jetta 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition (wife's "little red turbo")
08 MB CLK350 (my daily driver)
07 Aura XR (currently on loan to my son)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steelerman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steelerman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steelerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
buffmaloney
buffmaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

My Onstar diagnostic report just notified me of a recall concerning the exhaust system rattle. They need to replace the exhaust hangers.

2008 Red Jewel XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buffmaloney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buffmaloney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buffmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
nakman
nakman is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I'd prefer a NAV system with a screen. The phone is expensive in Canada although I understand you can share minutes with Bell. But, I can carry my cell and have the security to use no matter where I am. I perform regular maintence so, she gets checked out pretty regular. If anything mechanical, there usually a light or something to alert me.

2007 VUE FWD 3.5L, Storm Grey
2008 Honda Accord, 2.4l, auto, Black
(Pic is the 03 VUE, 4 banger, 5 spd, gone but not forgotten)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nakman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nakman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #16
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerman View Post
I like it. In fact, we got rid of our cell phones because of Onstar and the hands free phone. We also like the monthly diagnostic report. I agree with the member who said that Turn by Turn Nav was too much money. We bought a Garmin and use that.
I use free maps.live.com and Google maps to pre-plan any trip and print out a trip-tik type plan before I go someplace I haven't been before.
If I need it to tell me where to go or when to turn, I have my wife read the direction to me
On-star for phone calls and emergency contact for an accident, is worth about $10/month

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #17
jita1
jita1 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Yes, I think it's definitely worth it.

Considering that I spend 10+ hours a week driving, it's nice to have that peace of mind. I've used it twice as a Good Samaritan when I witnessed accidents. The car phone is nice for when I forget and leave my cell at home. Also, if the car is ever stolen, there's a better chance of it being recovered with OnStar. Also, those e-mailed monthly diagnostic reports are cool.

My wife is planning to get either a Malibu or a Vue next year and then she'll have the peace of mind of OnStar too...

2014 Chevy Impala 2LT, 3.6L, Blue
2014 Chevy Malibu LTZ, Black (wife's ride)

Then:
2008 Saturn Aura XE, 3.5L V6 (Traded in for Impala)
2011 Chevy Cruze 1LT, Gold Mist Metallic (wife's old ride)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jita1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jita1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
I use free maps.live.com and Google maps to pre-plan any trip and print out a trip-tik type plan before I go someplace I haven't been before.
If I need it to tell me where to go or when to turn, I have my wife read the direction to me
On-star for phone calls and emergency contact for an accident, is worth about $10/month
That's the best route for direction. GPS is a nifty little gimmick that everyone needs. Fine if you do lots of driving to new places, but that is rare for a lot people when you can use mapquest or similar.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #19
buffmaloney
buffmaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
That's the best route for direction. GPS is a nifty little gimmick that everyone needs. Fine if you do lots of driving to new places, but that is rare for a lot people when you can use mapquest or similar.
I always pre-plan my route too. The problem is when there are road closings not listed on the map services.

2008 Red Jewel XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buffmaloney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buffmaloney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buffmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #20
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I have a problem with reoccurring credit card charges so I did not get On-Star. I think that some benefits like unlocking your doors, airbag monitoring and slowing down/stopping your car if it gets stolen are great. If my discretionary income was greater, maybe. But I'm not there right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote