SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Extend warranty or not?

I'm at 35,500 miles in our 06' FWD Vue so I need to decide pretty soon if I'm going to extend the warranty. My wife is very set against it, pointing out that we've never taken a car to a mechanic, I've always done all our non-warranty work myself. My only concern is that I pull the boat with it (about 2900 lbs) and am wondering if the extra wear on the engine/transmission could be worth it.
A full warranty up to 95,000 miles is about $2,000 or I can get the basic GM warranty (engine/tranny) for $1400. What would the worse case scenario cost me if I didn't get the warranty (so replace an engine (V6) or tranny)? I would likely do the labor myself.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Extend warranty or not?

I have the same year Vue as you do and I'm now at 29K. Once the warranty is up, I'm going to take my chances. Extended warranties are money makers for the companies that sell them. For the buyer, it's like playing the lottery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

its insurance. ive had gmpp on my last 13 or 14 cars. sometimes you win sometimes you lose. also many people cant afford to pays hundreds if not thousamds to fix there cars. other like me dont want to. of all of those cars ive had gmpp on only one never needed anything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
Bunshaw
Bunshaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I'm at 35,500 miles in our 06' FWD Vue so I need to decide pretty soon if I'm going to extend the warranty. My wife is very set against it, pointing out that we've never taken a car to a mechanic, I've always done all our non-warranty work myself. My only concern is that I pull the boat with it (about 2900 lbs) and am wondering if the extra wear on the engine/transmission could be worth it.
A full warranty up to 95,000 miles is about $2,000 or I can get the basic GM warranty (engine/tranny) for $1400. What would the worse case scenario cost me if I didn't get the warranty (so replace an engine (V6) or tranny)? I would likely do the labor myself.

-Robert
It's a chance game like everyone else is saying but if you plan to do most of the work yourself anyway then it's likely you would only break even if you needed it. So there would have to be 2 major failures to come out of top. Things happen but if the Vue has mostly been trouble free and no one is pushing it too hard then its probably a safe bet to skip the warranty.

The Honda engine shouldn't cause any trouble as long as it's maintained regularly so that mostly leaves the tranny. Cheaper to invest in an aux. transmission cooler than an additional warranty if you tow that often.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bunshaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bunshaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bunshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
jco35
jco35 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
its insurance. ive had gmpp on my last 13 or 14 cars. sometimes you win sometimes you lose. also many people cant afford to pays hundreds if not thousamds to fix there cars. other like me dont want to. of all of those cars ive had gmpp on only one never needed anything
Did you break even on any of those warranties??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jco35's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jco35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jco35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
RSKratofil
RSKratofil is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Yes!!! extend it.

Sadly, I did not extend the warranty it on my 04 VUE. My excellent experience with my 93 SW1 having minimal wear and tear repair issues by the 315,943 when I traded it in on the VUE, gave me a false confidence in the VUE

At only 14 months in and 37 miles past the 36,000 I began the first of many major expenses beginning with the clutch. I now have 126K+ miles and I have had to spend an average of $2217 a year since the 36,000 miles to keep the car on the road. Nearly every other trip to the dealer I get the same story from my Saturn Service Center, "they used cheap (undersized) parts in production, but changed designs before production numbers rose to recall status. Sorry, but it will cost $$$ to fix it."

To put this in perspective my SW1, after adjusting for inflation, only cost me an average of $319 a year. Guess that is where they made up their money on the 0% financing I was given on the VUE.

Sad thing is my driving has not changed since my 93 SW1. I travel about 32,000 a year with about 97% of that being highway miles at 300+ miles a clip without stopping. I hate to think of what the costs could be if I had a family and had lots of short stop and go trips.

BRING BACK THE S SERIES!!!!
93 SW1 (315,943) 34/47 ACTUAL MPG
04 VUE (126,000+) 22/30 ACTUAL MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RSKratofil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RSKratofil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RSKratofil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

one i saved over 6000 dollars. one had nothing go wrong in 6 years. the rest in between. i traded my 02 trailblazer 86000 miles for an outlook last summer. had 2800 bucks worth of warr work before trading it in. after trading i called gmpp and cancelled and got a check for 281 bucks. cant beat that. ive also sold a couple of cars with 70-80k on them and i know i got alot more for them because of thwe factory waranty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
nakman
nakman is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

May I suggest self insuring...ahem, giving yourself the warrenty. Take a $100 and desposit in a bank account each month. There is a $1200 annual "premium". You'll save enough money over the years to pay for vehicle repairs, home repairs, or any other unexpected financial losses.

I'd assume with pulling a boat, you'll have a tranny cooler. With regular maintence, you should be fine.

Just another option.

2007 VUE FWD 3.5L, Storm Grey
2008 Honda Accord, 2.4l, auto, Black
(Pic is the 03 VUE, 4 banger, 5 spd, gone but not forgotten)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nakman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nakman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Wrench Re: Extend warranty or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
May I suggest self insuring...ahem, giving yourself the warranty. Take a $100 and deposit in a bank account each month. There is a $1200 annual "premium". You'll save enough money over the years to pay for vehicle repairs, home repairs, or any other unexpected financial losses.
If you take ~50% of the cost of all the extended warranties and service plans you are tempted to get, and stick it in the bank, you will be easily self-insured and in the end come out on top [on average]. If you actually have the discipline to leave the money in your "warranty" emergency fund, you don't need the EW anymore.

Most of the cost of EWs and SPs goes to profit and commission ... very little goes into the pool for future repairs.
Look at it this way, if the extended warranties were a good idea [meaning that you will get more service dollars back than it costs to buy the EW] the companies backing them would be penniless in short order.

Unless you put the vehicle through things it isn't designed to do, or you have early indication of future problems ... skip the EW and save the money in your emergency fund.

still rolling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

extended warrantys are pushed hard by gm. they tend to bring repeat customers more so than if you dont have a warranty. they are a huge factor in csi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!