SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
philip1
philip1 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Hybrid Saturn?? I don't need no stinking hybrid

Last tank 31.707 mpg the Aura greenline only gets 32 mpg.

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to philip1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help philip1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Robman
Advanced Member
Robman will become famous soon enoughRobman will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Hybrid Saturn?? I don't need no stinking hybrid

LOL, I just calculated mine. I get 17.1 mpg. God I need a tune.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic
1999 Yamaha Blaster YFS200

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
philip1

2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman View Post
HP costs doesn't it?

good to see the black beast still kicking asphalt

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help philip1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

this car won't die any time soon. it's actually probably going to go into storage for 4 years. last time I checked my mileage I got about 20 mpg. I should check my plugs. I run 91 octane all the time now.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Robman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Wrench Re: Hybrid Saturn?? I don't need no stinking hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip1 View Post
bu ... bu ... but what about the carbons?
algore sez teh carbons are bad!
This is a wonderful axample of how most hybrids fail the TCO test ... how much extra is the GL version?
Figuring $3/gal gas ... how many miles before you break even with 0.3mpg difference?

still rolling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
philip1

2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I don't see any benefit in adding toxic batteries to an overweight and underpowered car just to gain what 3mpg over the normal 4-cyl model. To add insult to injury I am not even going all out for milage if I do I hope to see 40mpg lets see the overweight hybrid do that.

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
fred2003
fred2003 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Idea Re: Hybrid Saturn?? I don't need no stinking hybrid

Hybrids,for the most part, are overrated.
My bone stock 5 year old V-6 gets 25 mpg without even trying.

The more I know, the less I remember.................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fred2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fred2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fred2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
Cincy Saturn
Cincy Saturn is on a distinguished road

If I set my cruise at 55 and drive on the interstate I have gotten 38 mpg on a 100 mile trek I drive all of the time. Set the cruise to 65 ad I drop down to 35 mpg. I get 25 when I drive city.

The dipstick for the 710 fluid says "ADD"...Where do you buy 710 fluid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cincy Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cincy Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cincy Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Saturn View Post
If I set my cruise at 55 and drive on the interstate I have gotten 38 mpg on a 100 mile trek I drive all of the time.
If I set my cruise at 55 and drive on the interstate here, I'll certainly get flipped off and might get my back window shot out.

The family:
1993 SL2: 051,000 mi (!)
1996 SL2: 260,000 mi (sold)
2001 SL2: 98,000 mi
2002 L200: 215,000 mi
2006 VUE: 50,000 mi (sold)
2007 Ranger: 40,000 mi
2008 Astra: 161,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
LOL!
Methinks that turbo makes it fun to drive.

Winter gas, cold weather, and short trips to work have knocked my mpg down to 24 overall.

Got 35mpg on a trip to the Carolinas ths summer.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
Robman
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
LOL!
Methinks that turbo makes it fun to drive.

I do have a lead foot and a tendency to scare people when they drive with me. 17 MPG is the reason this car is NOT getting shipped to Italy. At $5 a Euro liter I would be screwed.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
L81
L81 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
I do have a lead foot and a tendency to scare people when they drive with me. 17 MPG is the reason this car is NOT getting shipped to Italy. At $5 a Euro liter I would be screwed.
What you going to Italy for? I want to say military...but I'm not 100%

L300...FTMFW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L81's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L81 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2003 View Post
Hybrids,for the most part, are overrated.
My bone stock 5 year old V-6 gets 25 mpg without even trying.
My bone stock 3 year old Prius gets 50 without even trying and almost the same off the line as my V-6 LW. You do realize that electric motors give you instant torque vice have to wait for revs to build with gas right......

[QUOTE=I don't see any benefit in adding toxic batteries to an overweight and underpowered car just to gain what 3mpg over the normal 4-cyl model. To add insult to injury I am not even going all out for milage if I do I hope to see 40mpg lets see the overweight hybrid do that. QUOTE]

See above about instant torque. I've driven an EV-1, Insight and own a Prius and I'd never use the term "underpowered". Anyone who does doesn't understand torque curves of electric motors. 40 mpg, not a problem, without even trying, 50 mpg, not a problem without even trying. We've seen 62 on the Prius regularly around town, but have to work to get that and best I've done while really trying hard and doing everything possible to keep the ICE from coming on while economizing batteries was 77mpg for 5 miles. Let's see your underpowered 4 cyl with the well right skewed torque curve do that.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
philip1

2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

[QUOTE=s3nfo;1205565]My bone stock 3 year old Prius gets 50 without even trying and almost the same off the line as my V-6 LW. You do realize that electric motors give you instant torque vice have to wait for revs to build with gas right......

Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't see any benefit in adding toxic batteries to an overweight and underpowered car just to gain what 3mpg over the normal 4-cyl model. To add insult to injury I am not even going all out for milage if I do I hope to see 40mpg lets see the overweight hybrid do that. QUOTE

See above about instant torque. I've driven an EV-1, Insight and own a Prius and I'd never use the term "underpowered". Anyone who does doesn't understand torque curves of electric motors. 40 mpg, not a problem, without even trying, 50 mpg, not a problem without even trying. We've seen 62 on the Prius regularly around town, but have to work to get that and best I've done while really trying hard and doing everything possible to keep the ICE from coming on while economizing batteries was 77mpg for 5 miles. Let's see your underpowered 4 cyl with the well right skewed torque curve do that.
the title read "HYBRID SATURN I don't need no stinking hybrid"

and to address your Prius... Diesel VW gets 50+ without trying is cheaper and doesn't carry toxic nicad batteries. I too have driven powerful electric only vehicles and yes they are impressive(12.56 1/4 mile at the time). Pure electric cars have a range issue. Hybrids cure that if they are a true hybrid GM has yet to show a real hybrid. the aura vue and even the chev truck "hybrids" are light hybrids not a true hybrid (like the prius)

BTW what is the replacement cost of the battery pack in your prius? mine was $60 and they installed it too.

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #15
fred2003
fred2003 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Thumbs Up Re: Hybrid Saturn?? I don't need no stinking hybrid

You tell 'em Philip !!

The more I know, the less I remember.................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fred2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fred2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fred2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #16
1AuraOwner
1AuraOwner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip1
Hybrids cure that if they are a true hybrid GM has yet to show a real hybrid. the aura vue and even the chev truck "hybrids" are light hybrids not a true hybrid (like the prius)
philip hit the nail on the head with this one. The prius has a 300V system. The Vue/Aura hybrid system's are a 36 volt system....It is basically 3 12 V batteries tied in series to make 36 volts....Add to this the fact that there is actually a 200 amp fuse tied in with the batteries, meaning they don't put out very much juice at any one time....I'm guessing 100-150 amps during auto stop mode... The Saturn Hybrids do not run the vehicle. They add "auto stop" to stop the engine while idling and power assist... When giving the car gas from a stop it assists the engine to help move the vehicle...Add to this the regenerative braking to charge the battery which puts a large load on the engine also takes fuel.. They are really nothing more than a large tax write off and a way to get a vehicle for cheaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1AuraOwner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1AuraOwner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1AuraOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:28 AM   #17
PaulGraz
PaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of lightPaulGraz is a glorious beacon of light

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip1 View Post
That would have to be highway miles. The hybrids don't help much on the highway, they really only help at low speeds (city driving)

But I do agree that the current hybrid trend isn't for me. I'd rather have a pure electric car. I would have gone for a EV1 if I wasn't on the wrong coast...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #18
philip1

2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

actually the 31.707 was in mixed driving about half city half highway

Phil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

[QUOTE=philip1;1205887]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo View Post
the title read "HYBRID SATURN I don't need no stinking hybrid"

and to address your Prius... Diesel VW gets 50+ without trying is cheaper and doesn't carry toxic nicad batteries. I too have driven powerful electric only vehicles and yes they are impressive(12.56 1/4 mile at the time). Pure electric cars have a range issue. Hybrids cure that if they are a true hybrid GM has yet to show a real hybrid. the aura vue and even the chev truck "hybrids" are light hybrids not a true hybrid (like the prius)

BTW what is the replacement cost of the battery pack in your prius? mine was $60 and they installed it too.

Ooops, your ignorance is showing. My Prius doesn't have toxic NICAD batteries either.
The traction batteries in hybrids are an integral part of the drive train, comparing replacement of hybrid batteries to replacement of non-hybrid batteries is just dumb, comparing apples to oranges. The direct comparison is the small, garden tractor 12 volt battery in the Prius, which is about $60 to replace they'll install it too (oh, and it'll last nearly forever since it's not used much).
A better comparison would be how much would it cost to replace your transmission, but as far as I know, we don't know what the real replacement cost of the traction battery pack is, since no one's ever reported having to pay to replace one on any of the hybrid lists I read, not even the guy who's using Prius' for taxis in New York with well over 150K miles on them last time he reported in......

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #20
1AuraOwner
1AuraOwner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo View Post
Ooops, your ignorance is showing. My Prius doesn't have toxic NICAD batteries either.
The traction batteries in hybrids are an integral part of the drive train, comparing replacement of hybrid batteries to replacement of non-hybrid batteries is just dumb, comparing apples to oranges. The direct comparison is the small, garden tractor 12 volt battery in the Prius, which is about $60 to replace they'll install it too (oh, and it'll last nearly forever since it's not used much).
A better comparison would be how much would it cost to replace your transmission, but as far as I know, we don't know what the real replacement cost of the traction battery pack is, since no one's ever reported having to pay to replace one on any of the hybrid lists I read, not even the guy who's using Prius' for taxis in New York with well over 150K miles on them last time he reported in......
Prius batteries use Nimh batteries which contain nickel and some cobalt. Both are toxic. Especially the Cobalt. Companies like Toyota are considering going to a LI-ION battery which are also toxic batteries..
While it's true a Nicad battery is more toxic, You can't say the hybrid batteries are non-toxic...Cobalt can actually get into plants and/or animals and move up the food chain.
Also yes the Prius does have a "transmission" that moves the vehicle..The "transmission" must still be powered to move..Weather the batteries are internal or external to the transmission is irrevelant, so the relation to an automotic transmission is null.
Are "true" hybrids like the prius and Large Gm Suv's more beneficial to the environment than regulaur cars? Probably for the short term... This is debatable and depends on who you ask....Hybrids are not the "wave of the future"...Personally, I don't see Hybrids (as we know them today) being around in 20+ years...I don't see ethenal being a major fuel source either.

If I had to make a bet I'd put my money on a fuel cell of some sort.....Of course this will be after someone figures out how to break down the atoms of the cells without making it explosive....

Last edited by 1AuraOwner; 02-23-2008 at 04:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1AuraOwner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1AuraOwner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1AuraOwner is offline   Reply With Quote