SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Stripped Out Rear Strut Spindle Bolt

I was changing a rear strut today and trying to run the bolt back in it stripped out. Now here's the thing, Should I try and run a different bolt thru or tap out the spindle threads ? I think I may have tried that before and it worked. Another thing is I have a tap for the hubs 12MM 1.5. If the spindle threads are stripped out and need tapped, do you know of the threads are the same as the hub threads ? The strut bolts looks pretty close to the same size diameter. If I have to I can replace the spindle but a tap should work if I can't run another bolt in. thanks for any suggestions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaz9496's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #2
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Stripped Out Rear Strut Spindle Bolt

Maybe a pic would help us understand what you are talking about.

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the roughChaz9496 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'll have to wait til I get home from work. My phone isn't letting me pull up any pictures. My home compter will. Stay tuned !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

017.jpg Here you go. Won't tighten up. Must have cross-threaded.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 12-05-2019 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: Added Comment

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

So the bolt itself stripped? How are threads in knuckle? If they are good with no metal shaving get another bolt. If it torques down to properly specs you should be fine. Wouldn't hurt to run a tap into it to be sure.

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:44 PM   #6
lrbraner
lrbraner is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz9496 View Post
I was changing a rear strut today and trying to run the bolt back in it stripped out. Now here's the thing, Should I try and run a different bolt thru or tap out the spindle threads ? I think I may have tried that before and it worked. Another thing is I have a tap for the hubs 12MM 1.5. If the spindle threads are stripped out and need tapped, do you know of the threads are the same as the hub threads ? The strut bolts looks pretty close to the same size diameter. If I have to I can replace the spindle but a tap should work if I can't run another bolt in. thanks for any suggestions.
when you say "trying to run the bolt back in" does that mean you where using a power tool ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lrbraner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When I did my rear shocks, I fought with the strut spring so I had to resort to a two pronged attack. One jack held up the rear while another was used to jack up the shock to relieve tension on the bottom bolt. Unless tension is relieved, the bolt strains under spring load as its cocked downwards when removing it. The same occurs when reattaching the bolt. It must go in straight to thread correctly otherwise cross threading can occur to ruin anyone's day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This is the only video I believe anyone has done on swapping out the rear strut. The car was very much a northern car with the battle he had removing that bolt you have stripped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-QqJ2fpkxI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
when you say "trying to run the bolt back in" does that mean you where using a power tool ??
Yep, impact gun. When I would run it out and back it seemed to go in a little farther but would stop turning after a few turns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
When I did my rear shocks, I fought with the strut spring so I had to resort to a two pronged attack. One jack held up the rear while another was used to jack up the shock to relieve tension on the bottom bolt. Unless tension is relieved, the bolt strains under spring load as its cocked downwards when removing it. The same occurs when reattaching the bolt. It must go in straight to thread correctly otherwise cross threading can occur to ruin anyone's day.
That was how I did it. I must not have had it exactly straight. I have a tap as I stated above for the hubs that's a 12mm 1.5 tap that looks close to the same as the strut bolt diameter size. Pitch my be an issue tho. That's why I wondered it that tap will work if I can't get another bolt in it. I do have another bolt in my bolt collection if I do need to tap the knuckle. If it does't fit there's plenty of taps at the hardware store or at work that I can get. I'd probably have to find the correct bolt diameter to get the correct one. I just looked it up on the application at work and it shows the diameter of the stud. Wish me good luck, I have 2 nice days to get it done before the cold comes in again. I guess I shouldn't have sold my garage heater. lol.

Last edited by Chaz9496; 12-07-2019 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Added Comment

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #11
lrbraner

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Yep, impact gun. When I would run it out and back it seemed to go in a little farther but would stop turning after a few turns.
Sometimes force is not the answer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lrbraner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Does anyone know the size bolt this is in case I do need a tap ? I can't find anything online about it. I'm only getting other Saturn models that aren't the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Sometimes force is not the answer
Pretty much. It went in by finger tightening it before as much as possible and then I just torqued it down to spec.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

For at home diy machining like finding the right tap or die, I use either drill charts from the various machinery suppliers or a simpler method. In your case, if you have a known good bolt and don't know its thread size and pitch, try meshing the tap to the bolt. If they mesh perfectly, this verifies thread pitch. If they don't mesh together the tap pitch isn't correct. To measure overall thread size, place the bolt next to the tap so one is behind the other as you examine both by eye from a foot away. If both diameters match you should be able to see upper and lower threads of the one behind as you move both up and down a little to change viewing angle. Taken to its extreme, say trying to match a 6-32 machine screw with a 1/4-20 tap, the machine screw diameter is smaller than the tap diameter and easily seen side by side or when held together with one behind the other. If the 6-32 screw is held in front of the tap, the tap body diameter will be seen as larger than the screw diameter. Perfectly matched diameters between bolts and taps will not show a large discrepancy. Some trial and error practice will provide eyeballing this way. I've learned over the years to do it this way without mistakes when attempting to identify thread size and pitch without a pitch gauge or caliper.

Starting taps are tapered to allow chasing stripped threads.

Last edited by fdryer; 12-07-2019 at 02:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #15
lrbraner

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Does anyone know the size bolt this is in case I do need a tap ? I can't find anything online about it. I'm only getting other Saturn models that aren't the same.
Are you able to measure the OD of the thread ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2019, 02:56 PM   #16
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Are you able to measure the OD of the thread ?
Sorry, correct. If I need to tap the knuckle, which I'll probably do in case it is stripped, I'd need the correct OD of the bolt to get one correct.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #17
lrbraner

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Sorry, correct. If I need to tap the knuckle, which I'll probably do in case it is stripped, I'd need the correct OD of the bolt to get one correct.
Not sure if you are saying you can or cant measure it ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #18
lrbraner

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
You have used the word "stripped" several times.
But from what you describe it sounds more like a cross thread or damaged thread condition. They are not the same thing. A stripped thread will have the threads stripped out,meaning there are no threads left. In that case using the original size thread tap will do nothing as there is no metal left to tap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #19
Chaz9496

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You're right, it is 2 different things. It cross threaded. Today I got lucky and had only 4 studs/lug nuts in the front hub because it cross threaded in the hub putting the tire back on about 2 months ago. My tap wouldn't work so I took some P Blaster, took another stud and ran it forward with impact wrench and it went right in. Maybe it would work the same way with another knuckle bolt I have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
lrbraner

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
You're right, it is 2 different things. It cross threaded. Today I got lucky and had only 4 studs/lug nuts in the front hub because it cross threaded in the hub putting the tire back on about 2 months ago. My tap wouldn't work so I took some P Blaster, took another stud and ran it forward with impact wrench and it went right in. Maybe it would work the same way with another knuckle bolt I have.
Hmm, your preference for an impact wrench will lead to future problems.
As i have told the people I have mentored thru the years.
"Use finesse not force " !!!!!!!1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!