SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Petroleum
Petroleum is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Sad 2008 Saturn Astra - won't start, clicking sound

So I just changed the oil in my Saturn astra and I disconnected the blue plug labeled "EF" from the ignition module wiring to have more room to get the oil filter out -- I forgot I didn't have my the socket I needed for the oil filter so I plugged it back in.

When I was done with the oil change I go to turn my car on and it won't start. The display and radio screen just flicker and I hear clicking a couple of times and then nothing?

The radio is on and I didn't disconnect the battery, so I am assuming my starter is messing/messed up??

Where is the starter located on the engine so I can do the tap-the-starter-solenoid trick. Also, is there a way I can check at home to see if the starter is bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Petroleum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Petroleum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Petroleum is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2008 Saturn Astra - won't start, clicking sound

Is your battery discharged? This may be a simple dead battery issue. If you have a charger, charge the battery or if you have jumper cables, a boost. Are the battery cables clean and free of corrosion? Snug connections, not loose?

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Petroleum

2008 Astra XE

My radio is on and working fine, so I assume it's not the battery? I don't have cable but I can take it out and get it tested. Lemme go see if my friend has cables in the back of his truck.

I would think if it were the battery nothing would come on or it would be really dim, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The cable connections have no corrosion and they are not lose whatsoever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Petroleum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Petroleum

2008 Astra XE

On second though that may be it. My headlights do seem underpowered. Maybe the battery is drained. I'll take it to O'Reilly's to get it tested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

And check your owner's manual. There's some discussion that GM is cutting back on OEM battery capacity. Some models are only warranted for 36 or 48 months when it was 5/6 yrs for many years.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

When my battery died (after three years), the radio kept on working but the car wouldn't start. I was also getting the clicking noise. Pretty sure it's just the battery.

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
Petroleum

2008 Astra XE

Thanks all for the help. It was the battery. It was bulging when I pulled it out. It tested bad. Got a new one. I previously replaced the factory battery when it went bad two years ago -- didn't think to get it replaced under battery warranty since car already had over 36K mi. What a noob mistake. And, of course, this one that just went bad was from O'reilly's and it was two months out of their two year free replacement warranty, so they only prorated it.

Sorry, for the late replay, I had my last final of the semester Saturday from 7-10 and it was stressing me out.

Tune in this week as I chronicle: new brake pads, transmission fluid change, and most importantly fixing my automatic shifter which seems to need a new bushing at the transmission linkage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Just so people are aware, your battery needs cranking amps to starts. It may still show (with a volt meter or tester) 12+ volts IE you can still use your radio, power windows etc. but the moment you draw the cranking amps and add load the battery will fail. The clicking sound is a give away that your battery is not performing under load.

This does not mean your battery is defective. I have found this most common on Chrysler vehicles, when you hear the clicking the battery terminals could simply be corroded. I have seen this situation many times. Corroded terminals can block the cranking amps and prevent the alternator from charging your battery. First step is to charge your battery, clean the terminals and ensure they are tight before replacing it.

Be sure to clean your battery terminals before winter. It's a good maintenance habit so your not stranded in the cold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote