SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
bone151
bone151 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default end of the road?

Hi all – I have had my debadged blue 4-door XR since July 2008. Up to now, the only inconveniences have been having going to a chevy dealer (for scheduled service and oil changes) and not having an auxiliary input on the radio. There is nothing wrong with my Astra and I have been super happy with it – great at high speed… great cornering… for the most part unique… made in Belgium… I drink Belgian beer… I’ve been to Belgium... So things are good.

Lately, though, I’ve been feeling unfulfilled. I’ve been sneaking glances at 500 Abarths and Focus STs. I have only looked and I have not tested… yet. The ST looks too much like the Astra, so I don’t think I would even go through with a test drive. The Abarth on the other hand, the only thing that has stopped me from committing an infidelity is the local dealer not having any in stock. The Abarth makes noise, it’s fast…

Is anyone else feeling the 4-year itch?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bone151's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bone151 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bone151 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: end of the road?

the problem with the abarth is the same problem i have with the cooper which is a foot longer than the abarth. the rear seat headrest is too close to the rear window. if i get rear ended by a f150, yukon or similar vehicle that most people "need" to drive, she gets decapitated. other than that the abarth is schweeeet!

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
saturnions
saturnions is on a distinguished road

Have to admit the Focus ST sure looks to be sweet, and if I were looking for a new car that just may be the one. It seems to have everything I'd want in a hatch including an engine that would suite me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnions's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnions reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

Looking for something faster and noisier? Keep the Astra and get a motorbike! That's what I'm doing come spring

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
vanilla sky
vanilla sky is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

We almost traded the Astra for an MS3 a couple years back. We've looked at a couple of other cars, but we can't find anything else we really want. I think if we had to buy something tomorrow, it would be an old Volvo Turbo Brick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vanilla sky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vanilla sky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vanilla sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

You can buy a very good car stereo with an aux input and have it installed for under $200. Then you can keep the Astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #7
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enoughTom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by darek_dade View Post
Looking for something faster and noisier? Keep the Astra and get a motorbike! That's what I'm doing come spring
i have the roadster for that. but i am getting the itch for another track toy. a cheap to get into 944 or cheap to purchase e36 may be in my future. "cheap to buy" as in the car itself is cheap - until i start to fix the little things that add up to more than the car will ever be worth.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Weeman
Weeman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I like both cars, I think the ST's price is right with amongst competitors but the abarth is expensive for such a tiny car and half the power of the st. Sure, it's fast compared to a regular 500 but what isn't faster than a regular 500.

If the abarth was 200+ horsepower or 2-3 thousand less, I would buy one, as it sits, it's a lot of money for such a small car. Mazdaspeed 3 are a decent buy, they usually have great incentives on new models like 0% off, $0 administration fees, free tinted windows etc. They are very close to the ST on paper but better bang for your buck. I drove a 2011 and it was a blast to drive.

GL with your search.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Weeman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Weeman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Weeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S2 View Post
the problem with the abarth is the same problem i have with the cooper which is a foot longer than the abarth. the rear seat headrest is too close to the rear window. if i get rear ended by a f150, yukon or similar vehicle that most people "need" to drive, she gets decapitated. other than that the abarth is schweeeet!
I was going to say I have the same problem with the cooper as its likely going to be unreliable. The Astra isnt the most reliable thing out there, but 3 years in the Astra I have haven't had anywhere near the issues I did with the cooper. I don't think I could trust Fiat to be a reliable car although there is not much data for our market. All I can go off of if the British think a Fiat is unreliable then its probably not good...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #10
bone151
bone151 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Well, I did it - I swapped for a Fiat 500 Turbo. I got 7000 for the Astra with 57K miles. Not ideal, but the price for the new car was great.

The Astra was/is a fantastic car, but I needed/wanted a change. I hope she goes to someone deserving.

Have fun all.

Arrivederci.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bone151's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bone151 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bone151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
saturnions
saturnions is on a distinguished road

Thats to bad .............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnions's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnions reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
stoickiwi
stoickiwi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone151 View Post
Well, I did it - I swapped for a Fiat 500 Turbo. I got 7000 for the Astra with 57K miles. Not ideal, but the price for the new car was great.

The Astra was/is a fantastic car, but I needed/wanted a change. I hope she goes to someone deserving.

Have fun all.

Arrivederci.
Hope you enjoy the Abarth! I had a 500 Sport before the Astra and it was a blast! Almost went for the Abarth instead of the Astra but the Misses would have killed me so I cancelled the reservation
Live it up!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stoickiwi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stoickiwi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stoickiwi is offline   Reply With Quote