SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #21
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Check Coolant Level warning?

It's on 75% of the time. When engine gets up to operating temp, it comes on & stays on.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #22
AFLAC42
AFLAC42 is on a distinguished road

Just a thought. I know you said that the dealer did a pressure check, but have you thought to gahnge the radiatior cap? I'm haven't checked to see if there is one, but I have had caps go bad and due stupid stuff. Might be worth a try.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AFLAC42's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AFLAC42 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AFLAC42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #23
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLAC42 View Post
Just a thought. I know you said that the dealer did a pressure check, but have you thought to gahnge the radiatior cap? I'm haven't checked to see if there is one, but I have had caps go bad and due stupid stuff. Might be worth a try.
That's not a bad idea. Might be worth a try.

Although, if they did a pressure check and everything was fine (no pressure loss), then I wouldn't suspect the cap to be a culprit.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #24
j0n
j0n is on a distinguished road

I was told that GM's temporary solution was to bleed the coolant, which my dealer did. It did seem to decrease the time that the warning flashes by about 50% but it does still come on. ALSO, anyone else that gets this light, you can(at least I can) cancel the warning by pushing either the large dial on the DIC or the left wheel on the steering wheel.

-2008 Saturn Astra XR3 5-spd - Bone stock daily driver
-1999 Corvette FRC - 11.985 @ 115.06(1.773) - Bolt-ons

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to j0n's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help j0n reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
j0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #25
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n View Post
I was told that GM's temporary solution was to bleed the coolant, which my dealer did. It did seem to decrease the time that the warning flashes by about 50% but it does still come on. ALSO, anyone else that gets this light, you can(at least I can) cancel the warning by pushing either the large dial on the DIC or the left wheel on the steering wheel.
I was finally driving the wife's Astra the other day & tried your idea. Holding the round dial in did not clear the display. However, by holding down the "OK" button for about 10 seconds seemed to clear the display.
I have tried this before, but apparently I did not hold the button down long enough.

Thanx, j0n!
I owe ya a beer.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #26
j0n
j0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
I was finally driving the wife's Astra the other day & tried your idea. Holding the round dial in did not clear the display. However, by holding down the "OK" button for about 10 seconds seemed to clear the display.
I have tried this before, but apparently I did not hold the button down long enough.

Thanx, j0n!
I owe ya a beer.
.... did you say... beer?

-2008 Saturn Astra XR3 5-spd - Bone stock daily driver
-1999 Corvette FRC - 11.985 @ 115.06(1.773) - Bolt-ons

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to j0n's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help j0n reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
j0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #27
kieranna
kieranna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
My wife's car has been displaying this pretty consistently for the past several days. I have checked the level, and it looks fine. No visible leaks from hoses or engine parts.

Anyone else have the same problem and diagnosed?

It would be nice if this car had a "coolant temp guage" like most cars in it's class.
What, Europeans don't believe in guages?

It would be also nice, if instead of blasting this message across the DIC, it would put it in red warning light somewhere else. No other information is reported on the DIC when this happens.

We have a 2008 Astra Xe, exact same problems. Coolant light randomly comes on, then no readouts on MPG, and not able to switch stations on radio or cd.
Coolant level has been checked by mechanics twice, but no leak? What have you done?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kieranna's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kieranna reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kieranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #28
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Strictly pertaining to the coolant level issue, my sensor was replaced under warranty. it fixed the problem.

However, the other issues with the radio, I have no idea...

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #29
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranna View Post
We have a 2008 Astra Xe, exact same problems. Coolant light randomly comes on, then no readouts on MPG, and not able to switch stations on radio or cd.
Coolant level has been checked by mechanics twice, but no leak? What have you done?
Held the "OK" button down for 10 seconds.
It should clear.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #30
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

My check coolant light comes on from time to time. It's just slightly below the fill line. When I took it in for an oil change the tech said the level was fine.

I suspect that the sensor is just sensitive, and adding a small amount of coolant will take care of it.

I'm going to wait until the next oil change and tell them to top it off (included in the price of the oil change). That way I don't have to buy a gallon of fluid for 1/2 a pint.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #31
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Thr fill line is actually the maximum line. The tank we fill is the expansion tank, so as long as you are near the line, it should be fine. The issue is the sensor itself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #32
bdjones
bdjones is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

old thread now but just in case someone else sees it you can get rid of (for that car trip anyway) of the Coolant Level warning by hitting the "OK" button. It dismisses the warning and you get the normal DIC back

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #33
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Sorry to bump an old thread, but for the past 2 weeks or so, when I would start the car in morning, the Check Coolant level warning would occasionally come on the display. This would only happen when I parked in my outside parking spot, which is on a very slight incline, and when the temperature was close to 0C. After a couple of times, I finally checked the coolant level, when cold, and it was down a little under an inch below the cold/kalt line. In the meantime I filled it back up with some dexcool. The car has only 38,000 Kms, so should I be concerned that the coolant level has dropped by that much?

2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 77,000KM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #34
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

If that is all you have added in 4 years I would not worry about it. if you see the warning in 4 days and it's an inch down then I would start looking for a leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #35
darek_dade
darek_dade is on a distinguished road

It could be that your sensor went bad. My coolant warning comes on every 5-10 minutes. I will be doing this mod soon: http://www.astra-h.ru/antifrize_sensor.html. I already got the coolant tank from Opel Zafira and a new sensor.

09 Astra XR (manual, 3-door)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darek_dade's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darek_dade reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darek_dade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #36
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by darek_dade View Post
It could be that your sensor went bad. My coolant warning comes on every 5-10 minutes. I will be doing this mod soon: http://www.astra-h.ru/antifrize_sensor.html. I already got the coolant tank from Opel Zafira and a new sensor.
Well for me I don't think it was the sensor as the coolant was actually a bit low. Hopefully as the above poster said, its nothing, and it doesn't go down again, in the next little while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #37
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
If that is all you have added in 4 years I would not worry about it. if you see the warning in 4 days and it's an inch down then I would start looking for a leak.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I don't think I had a car that lost ANY coolant, that's why I'm a bit worried. But hopefully its nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #38
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

If the Astra is like the ION... check that your Coolant/Tank is Clean and doesn't need changing.

The Sensor can get dirty and require cleaning (or replacement) to insure reliable readings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #39
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Just a reply to the problem I was having. I did not have any issue adding a bit of dexcool to the reservoir to this day. So it looks like it was just a very small loss of coolant, and I can just add a bit more if the warning ever returns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #40
carlomartin
carlomartin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darek_dade View Post
It could be that your sensor went bad. My coolant warning comes on every 5-10 minutes. I will be doing this mod soon: . I already got the coolant tank from Opel Zafira and a new sensor.
Are you able to get this in english? OR how much did it cost you? and how hard is it to do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlomartin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlomartin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlomartin is offline   Reply With Quote