SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Off-season tire storage

This may be splitting hairs, but... I have a set of Blizzaks on an extra set of steelies, so I'm always storing one set (either the Blizzaks or the summer tires/rims) off-season. Doin' the same thing with a set of Blizzaks for the wife's pickup. Just wondering what's a better way to store them, standing up vertical or stacked horizontally. They'll be on a concrete basement floor, basement is aprx. 50*F winter, 75*F summer. Stored in those white plastic tire bags they give you at Discount Tire. Looking around at the tire stores, I seem to see them stored both ways. You can actually buy a rack at DT / TireRack, but there's no way I'm gonna lift those bigeffin' 235/85R16 rims and tires for the PSD.

Is this a "six of one...." sorta thing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
hi-tower
hi-tower is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
1998 SW1
Default Re: Off-season tire storage

I do the same thing only I do it for 3 cars. I store them both ways. Flat for some and then on edge for the others. Never had any issues with either. As long as they have air in them I do not think it is an issue either way.

1998 SW1 (wife's car)
1998 SW2 (Winter daily driver)
2004 Vibe GT (summer daily driver)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hi-tower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hi-tower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hi-tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
yamichi
yamichi has a spectacular aura aboutyamichi has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

For short term (months, not years) storage with no real weight on them, I don't imagine there's much of a difference.

The once and future Saturn owner!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yamichi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yamichi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yamichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
blusw2
blusw2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

With no real weight on them it really does not matter, I tend to store mine on the sidewall all stacked up in a tower. But that is just because it is easier for my storage system. If you want to stand them up, the big challenge is to keep them from rolling. without any real weight flat spots are not a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blusw2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blusw2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blusw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

From what I've read there is no definitive storage method - each manufacture (and forum) seems to have conflicting views. Although, there are some common points which may help you make your decision ....
  • don't store directly on concrete
  • don't store close to any motors as they emit ozone which breaks down the tire compound
  • keep dry and cool
  • keep out of sunlight
  • some recommend deflating tires to 15 lbs to reduce the amount of air that naturally pushes through the rubber.
  • when storing horizontally some recommend using spacers between rims so that the tires do not touch one another (keeping the weight on the rim)

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Reduce the pressure to about 1/2 of max rated cold pressure and keep the dirt off of them. Store in any position. It is best to keep them off of direct contact with concrete.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

I do the same thing with my Blizzaks, and they have stayed in great condition throughout the years (despite the occasional nail and plug), but the tread wears out after so many seasons anyways lol...splitting hairs

What is your Saturn's oil economy?
Canada Saturn owners REVOLT!!! Improper factory spark plugs! c.c
If you are in the Southern Wisconsin area, check out: facebook.com/SaturnFix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnFix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
SaturnFix
SaturnFix will become famous soon enoughSaturnFix will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Armor-all is great stuff too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnFix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Reduce the pressure to about 1/2 of max rated cold pressure and keep the dirt off of them. Store in any position. It is best to keep them off of direct contact with concrete.
...and that's Max Rated 44psi/ 2 = 22psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
yamichi
yamichi has a spectacular aura aboutyamichi has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnFix View Post
Armor-all is great stuff too
I've read from several sources that armor all actually dries rubber out and can prematurely age it.

The once and future Saturn owner!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yamichi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yamichi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yamichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The hot setup for a vinyl, rubber, plastic, leather, fiberglass protector is the product "303 Aerospace Protectant" It works, but also is not cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamichi View Post
I've read from several sources that armor all actually dries rubber out and can prematurely age it.
Ditto what I've read/heard, for years. It's good for making rubber, vinyl, etc. look good when you're fixin' to sell a car.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I'll def deflate them to the specified pressure, and the bags will keep 'em off the concrete. Treadwear will be the least of my concerns; we're lookin' at maybe 2500 miles a season on the truck, and 1000 miles a winter on the Saturn would be on the high side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #13
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Happy Re: Off-season tire storage

ArmorAll is evil stuff on tires. I stopped using it back in 1993 when I started autocrossing. It made my tires slip and slide all over the course. Anyhow I store my wheels and tires in Discount Tire bags stacked on the side on top of a wooden box.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
SaturnFix

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamichi View Post
Ha! You know, I was just waiting to hear something like this. I swear there is a dark side to everyhting. But you know what, it won't stop me from using it on my own cars, because I've been using it since i was a little kid, I believe in it, and it makes me feel better. So it's good stuff. lol

...kinda like NGK spark plugs...

Last edited by SaturnFix; 04-28-2011 at 12:14 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
SaturnFix

1995 SC2
1996 SC2

I remember being obsessed with ArmorAll when I was a little kid. I'd use it on my Timex watch like every hour, and I would saturate my stereo system with it. I still have both things actually lol. The 8-track slots on the stereo have never looked better.

It is kind of like JB Weld, that stuff used to be great way, way back (before my time actually). Today, it what, resembles hardened plastic with the adhesion of Elmer's Glue-All? But yet all the old-timers still flock to the JB Weld shelf at Farm & Fleet (I know, I use to work there).

But how about ArmorAll Tire Shine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!