SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #21
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 07 Aura - brake lights stay on while driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjennifer View Post
greg - my brake lights were working in reverse (they would stay on while driving and turn off when I went to brake) *this was before fix #1

then after fix #1 my car was fine for a week, but then it messed up again. I would turn on my car, the brake lights stayed on ALWAYS. like I could press on the brake and they would just stay on and that's it. so annoying.
Mine were also working in reverse this last time I took it in. It was also throwing up errors of service esc. General freak out. It would do the abs when you were parked. It would growl at you when you try to get it out of park, lol. They cleaned the computer plug thing and that fixed it. They replaced some parts too cause there was some metal banging in the front end. The service print out showed they did some calibration and fixed the plug to the computer. Been working great again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 12:38 AM   #22
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

Mine were off at startup but shortly after you start driving they pop on. Then when you brake they would turn off. The first time after they came on and you go to stop the abs would kick on and then it would go "service esc" and freak out. Seemed it was that connector to the computer. It said they discovered fretting and cleaned the connector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #23
dbo
dbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregh2000 View Post
Mine were off at startup but shortly after you start driving they pop on. Then when you brake they would turn off. The first time after they came on and you go to stop the abs would kick on and then it would go "service esc" and freak out. Seemed it was that connector to the computer. It said they discovered fretting and cleaned the connector.
I had this issue. My cruise quit working and found my brake lights staying on. When I applied the brake the lights would flash on and off. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the cruise switch saying it went bad......so....300 bucks later and still not fixed. I took the car back and the dealer replaced the brake switch under the dash......125 bucks later and still not fixed. After researching I found the service bulletin in this forum. I spent 3 dollars for the dialectic grease and spent 15 minutes of my time to apply the grease to the conectors. My connector was labeled "J2" instead of "C2". After doigng this myself the problem is solved. After speaking to the dealer about them throwing parts at a problem and ignoring the service bulletin I gave them, they did not charge me for the parts or labor. Very honest dealer and service writer. Since I was planning on spending a few hundred bucks getting the car fixed. I paid this same dealer to complete other maintenance items, oil change, and a full detail of my 2007 XR after they didnt make me pay for the brake issue. My car is fixed and now looks brand new after the detail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #24
unlukky
unlukky is on a distinguished road

How many miles are on ya'lls cars?

John
2007 Saturn Aura XE
White/ Biege

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unlukky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unlukky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unlukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #25
dbo
dbo is on a distinguished road

66,500. Only issue since purchased new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #26
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Thought I'd re-post that bulletin referred to by the OP in case someone runs across this thread in future looking for info on this issue.

#08-05-22-009: Intermittently Brake Lights (Stop Lamp) Do Not Function Correctly, Extended Travel to Shift Out of Park, Cruise Control Inoperative, DTC C0161/C0277 Set (Perform Repair as Outlined) - (Dec 4, 2008)

Subject: Intermittently Brake Lights (Stop Lamp) Do Not Function Correctly, Extended Travel to Shift Out of Park, Cruise Control Inoperative, DTCs C0161/C0277 Set (Perform Repair as Outlined)

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic

2005-2009 Pontiac G6

2007-2009 Saturn AURA

--------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that intermittently the brake lights do not function correctly. Other symptoms may include extended pedal travel required to shift out of PARK, cruise control does not function correctly, and DTC C0161 and/or C0277 may be set.

Cause
The most likely cause of this condition is high resistance due to terminal fretting corrosion in the body control module (BCM) C2 connector (specifically pins C2-18, C2-31 and C2-59).

Correction
DO NOT replace the BCM for this condition. Disconnecting the C2 connector, adding dielectric silicone grease and reconnecting the C2 connector per the procedure below will correct the high resistance condition due to terminal fretting corrosion.

Remove the right side front floor console side trim panel to access to the Body Control Module (BCM).
Locate the C2 connector on the BCM.
Unlatch the C2 connector and disconnect the C2 connector from the BCM.
Reconnect the C2 connector back on the BCM and re-latch.
Repeat Steps 3 and 4 (this step cleans up the terminal fretting corrosion).
Using the Tech 2, verify the brake pedal position sensor (BPPS) voltage is between:
0.88V - 2.11V (for 2004-2006 model years)

0.73V - 1.47V (for 2007-2009 model years)

Check for proper operation of the brake lights.
If the brakes lights are operating properly, remove the C2 connector again from the BCM and proceed to Step 8.

If the brake lights are not operating properly, proceed to Step 12.

Apply dielectric lubricant (clear gel) GM P/N 12377900 (In Canada, use P/N 10953529) on the BCM C2 pins (apply with a one-inch nylon bristle brush) on all the C2 connector pins (this will treat the pins against fretting corrosion).
Reconnect the C2 connector back on the BCM and re-latch.
Reinstall the right side front floor console side trim panel.
Using the Tech 2, check that the BPPS ratio is equal to BPPS learned home when the brake pedal is not depressed.
If they are equal, brake lamps should be operating correctly and no further steps are necessary.

If they are not equal, perform the Brake Pedal Position Sensor Calibration procedure in SI to complete the repair.

Check the brake lights for proper operation. If incorrect, refer to SI and perform normal diagnostics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #27
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbo View Post
I had this issue. My cruise quit working and found my brake lights staying on. When I applied the brake the lights would flash on and off. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the cruise switch saying it went bad......so....300 bucks later and still not fixed. I took the car back and the dealer replaced the brake switch under the dash......125 bucks later and still not fixed. After researching I found the service bulletin in this forum. ...
Same story here. 4th time in the shop over three years in my case. I got the dialectic grease treatment first, then the brake switch, then the cruise switch and I am now waiting for the cable and connector that goes into the body control module (BCM), which was apparently working itself loose. Luckily, I had the extended warranty paying for all this. I guess they'll be changing the BCM next

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #28
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1961 View Post
Same story here. 4th time in the shop over three years in my case. I got the dialectic grease treatment first, then the brake switch, then the cruise switch and I am now waiting for the cable and connector that goes into the body control module (BCM), which was apparently working itself loose. Luckily, I had the extended warranty paying for all this. I guess they'll be changing the BCM next
Holy crap! They are replacing the BCM harness?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote