SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #21
99SL2_Modder
99SL2_Modder is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
Default Re: So I have a '11 Malibu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
About as lazy as:

--Hitting a couple buttons with your thumbs instead of reaching twelve inches to the right to adjust the volume or station presets on the radio.
This allows you to keep your hands on the wheel. While I agree it's lazy, and I don't use mine much, I can see the constant surfer doing it.

--Pushing a button to roll up or down the windows.
For the driver: Lazy. To roll them all down, it's quite handy. It was a pain for me to roll down my passenger hand-crank and not hit my shifter in the SL2.

--Pushing a button to unlock the doors instead of using the key.
Good only if you have something in your hands. Otherwise, I agree, lazy.

--Putting the transmission into drive instead of shifting it manually.
I hate hate hate automatics. I wish the Aura was a manual. I miss my SL2.

--Hitting a button to maintain constant speed instead of pushing the accelerator pedal with your foot.
I never saw a point to cruise control.

--Pushing buttons to make seat adjustments instead or using levers or knobs.
I can agree that it's somewhat lazy, however, electronic adjustments have more "locking" positions than manual. Increasing the manual locking positions makes teeth smaller and more vulnerable to breakage.

--Pushing buttons top make mirror adjustments instead of leaning over and making adjustments by hand.
Lazy. My SL2 had the passenger mirror pointed at the back right tire indefinitely. I didn't need it to drive, only to park.

--Tire pressure displayed on a screen instead of checking it with a tire pressure gauge.
Handy, but yes, lazy.

Im sure the features in the listed above were considered "lazy" at one point as well. Now most people can't live without them.
I still view some of them as lazy. You can't really opt out of them on newer high-end cars though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
That is why most every new vehicle has the automatic lane-change indication feature. It is a safety feature no matter how much you want to argue the fact. How many times have you seen Grandpa heading down the highway with his indicators on? The point is you want your hands free to drive, and nothing makes it easier than these "one touch - do it automatically" features.
Touche.

However, I keep my hands on the wheel. Maybe it's because I have long fingers that it doesn't bother me, but I have no issues with this.

Then again, I've used foot-activated turn signal switches, steering stalk activated switches, and hand signals. I think people now-a-days have it far to easy and don't truly know how to drive anymore. Plus, it takes me a bit longer to make a lane change than 3 flashes. I don't know if you have ever driven in Philly or on the Boulevarde, but 3 flashes is not long enough. You'd have to tap it multiple times, even at 60mph.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SL2_Modder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SL2_Modder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
Deep6
Deep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

If the 2011 Malibu is the same platform, I'd be interested to know what the suspension changes are that help it ride better. Not that I think the Aura rides poorly, but there is still a bit of "Flintiness" to it. I think struts will wear out quickly on it.

If I had to take a stab in the dark I would tend to think that the Malibu probably has some slightly softer bushings or lower spring rates.

2002 LW200 MT 170K "Rare 5-speed"
2000 LS1 AT 283K "Served us well since 2000"
1993 SL2 AT 155K "Also Gone but not forgotten"
2012 Honda CBR 250R 4.7K "She can't take this from me"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deep6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deep6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:44 PM   #23
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
About as lazy as:

--Hitting a couple buttons with your thumbs instead of reaching twelve inches to the right to adjust the volume or station presets on the radio.

--Pushing a button to roll up or down the windows.

--Pushing a button to unlock the doors instead of using the key.

--Putting the transmission into drive instead of shifting it manually.

--Hitting a button to maintain constant speed instead of pushing the accelerator pedal with your foot.

--Pushing buttons to make seat adjustments instead or using levers or knobs.

--Pushing buttons top make mirror adjustments instead of leaning over and making adjustments by hand.

--Tire pressure displayed on a screen instead of checking it with a tire pressure gauge.

Im sure the features in the listed above were considered "lazy" at one point as well. Now most people can't live without them.
Don't forget the latest trend - keyless ignitions with push button start - which is coming to the 2012 Malibu and Regal. Heck, even the 2012 Ford Focus will have this feature too!

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #24
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
Don't forget the latest trend - keyless ignitions with push button start - which is coming to the 2012 Malibu and Regal. Heck, even the 2012 Ford Focus will have this feature too!

These days, with keyless entry security systems, there really is no need for a keyed ignition anymore.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post

Errr push button. Everything is moving away from hard wired or mechanical functions. There have been times I'm sure that we all have had to crank the starter for a little bit while pumping the throttle. And this day it is probably easier to find and duplicate an RF signal then it is to pick a key hole.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #26
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i have to admit it is amazing how quick and convenient keyless cars are. i laughed at mine at first but after having it awile its great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote