SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #61
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: AURA buyers...any regrets?

I own an 07 XE (Midnight Blue) and, sure, I have a few regrets. The paint chips fairly easily, the dashboard is slightly misaligned, a bit of a rust problem on the trunk lid, you have to take the car to GM at least 3 times to get anything sort of fixed and the brakes were shot after 42K km.

But, you know what, I bought this car for 29K CAN loaded (leather, audiophile, alloys), 0,9% interest. It drives better than a Sonata, Malibu, Camry or Accord (I've driven most similar sedans) and on-par with an Altima. I still get tons of compliments on it (who would notice a Camry ?) It cost me a few thousand less than a somewhat less equipped Camry, Accord or Altima and I didn't have to pay the 5 to 7% interest rates the Japanese were charging in 07.

Used, all of these cars, similarly equipped, are about the same price now (14-15K from dealers in Canada). In the end, I consider myself ahead by 5-7K CAN over the Japanese, with a nicer car. I might do it again on something GM designed in Europe but built in North America...if they survive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #62
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1961 View Post
It drives better than a Sonata, Malibu, Camry or Accord (I've driven most similar sedans) and on-par with an Altima.
What year Malibu did you drive? I must of been the pervious generation. Because the current generation Malibu is pretty much identical to the Aura.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #63
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
What year Malibu did you drive? I must of been the pervious generation. Because the current generation Malibu is pretty much identical to the Aura.
08 Malibu LT. Better designed inside, slightly better fit and finish than my Aura, but feels mushier on the road. More like my dad's GM. Softer suspension ? Must admit leather seats in mine + different tires + a 6 cylinder in the XE as opposed to the Malibu's 4 cylinder probably all played a part in that mushier feeling. That Malibu was also noisier at highway speeds (my XE has the triple-glassing).

Malibu is still a pretty good car for the price and I'd have that over a similarly equipped Camry or Accord.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #64
The Last One
The Last One is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
2000 SL1

My only regret so far is that GM shut down the Saturn Brand.

I had no regrets buying this car even though the brand was being closed. Had GM been closing then I would of thought twice although I feel at times like I was buying the last Studebaker. But since this car is from a mechanical stand point the same as a Malibu I had no problems at all.

Now I would of not bought the car had Saturn still been a ongoing business. The discount they were offering off the sticker price made this new car the price of a low milage use malibu or saturn. 8K off the sticker

My previous cars where both Pontiac Bonnevilles with the 3800 engine. The first being a 90 sse and the second a 2001 SLE so this is a bit of a change for me. The main reason to change from a V-6 to a 4 was gas milage. I liked the idea of a 4 cylinder coupled with the 6 speed trans, still its a big change from the V-6 in the power area. But since my wife is the primary driver and she uses it mostly for local driving, work store etc. Its perfect for the task, and I get the old Boneville.

Although we don't have a lot of miles on this car as of yet, currently just over 3K. My only complaint is the cruise control. It works well on interstate roads but not on hilly secondary highways. It over runs the set speed on down hills by 5-10 miles and on upgrade it seems to be slow to down shift and when it does it sound like a double down shift, hight rev then and upshift. I felt much more comfortable not using the cruise. I seriously think it need to be checked and will have it looked at on our first service interval.

The electric power steering takes some getting use to. I don't think its as responsive as the standard hydrolic at highway speeds. It seems to drift a bit and requires more correction.

Other small things with are not complaints but more observations and opinions

The shift bezel reflection is bothersome as others have noted.

The fuel door latch makes me wonder how long it will last (my first thought after looking in the owners manual on how to open it)

The radio disply needs a sunvisor can be hard to read during the day

Wish the Driver Info Display was on the dash where the hazard light and seatbelt warning are. Also miss some of the options/functions of the eariler versions I had in the bonneville's. However I do like the tire pressure reading for each tire no guessing which one is low.

We have the light tan interior and I wish the lower half of the doors were black to hide the shoe scuffs. Same for the door sill trim.

Seats are acceptable but I would not want to do a lot of long distance driving with them. I like the ratchet mech for the lumbar support easy to use much better then the knobs.

Like the styling, conservative but refined. I preferr it over the malibu and G6. I most offten mistake the Lexus for an Aura.

Miss the trunk key slot, I think this is just because all my other cars have always had one. Has not been a problem just need to adjust to the change.

Wish it had the climate control and yes I know it didn't when I bought it, but you take what you get especially when it the last one.

Changed the hub caps from the gray to chrome. Thought the chrome complement the other chrome accents but not to the point of being goddy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Last One's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Last One reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Last One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #65
HawaiiAura
HawaiiAura is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I just got my 2007 XR w/37k on the ticker. Honestly, no regrets. I've only had compliments even one saying "this is a nice Mercedes", I'm like thanks but it's actually a Saturn. (see my sig).

Interior fit and finish is not top notch, but at 3 years old, its holding up quite well. Except for the back panel where the speakers are, it rattles when going over bumpy roads. I would only guess to remove that panel and dynamat the metal below it to resolve that issue.

Since I do a lot of city driving, gas mileage is very poor. My 1995 Cobra gets better gas mileage in the city as opposed to my AUra. But thats good, my Aura can sit in the covered garage and only used for special occassions.

The fun factor is, when people see a Saturn pull up at the light with dark tinted windows they wanna give me a try on the streets. Once the light turns gree off I go and they are just left in shock. that a Saturn either gave them a good run for their money or they lost.

::2007 Aura XR 3.6::
::1995 SVT Mustang Cobra::

"Toyota - Moving forward, even if you don't want to."
"You drive a Saturn? Oh, shet this car is badass!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HawaiiAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HawaiiAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HawaiiAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #66
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1961 View Post
I own an 07 XE (Midnight Blue) and, sure, I have a few regrets. The paint chips fairly easily, the dashboard is slightly misaligned, a bit of a rust problem on the trunk lid, you have to take the car to GM at least 3 times to get anything sort of fixed and the brakes were shot after 42K km.

But, you know what, I bought this car for 29K CAN loaded (leather, audiophile, alloys), 0,9% interest. It drives better than a Sonata, Malibu, Camry or Accord (I've driven most similar sedans) and on-par with an Altima. I still get tons of compliments on it (who would notice a Camry ?) It cost me a few thousand less than a somewhat less equipped Camry, Accord or Altima and I didn't have to pay the 5 to 7% interest rates the Japanese were charging in 07.

Used, all of these cars, similarly equipped, are about the same price now (14-15K from dealers in Canada). In the end, I consider myself ahead by 5-7K CAN over the Japanese, with a nicer car. I might do it again on something GM designed in Europe but built in North America...if they survive.
I don't believe the paint chips anymore easy on your car as it does on other AURAs (although I've heard U.S. vehicles don't have paints as thick of some imports applied to them???). It's the dark exterior color that makes some flaws more visible than others. That's why I won't go near a darker colored exterior - it begins to look ragged long before it should. I think what might help is keeping it garaged as often as possible and washed and waxed several times / year to help protect the paint.

The new Buick Regal will be right up your alley! If you're not aware, IT was supposed to be the 2nd generation AURA but Saturn got cheated out of it. I looked at one last week while I got a new FOB for my AURA. The Regal looks more sporty than the AURA. Like a GT coupe - and pretty luxurious, IMO. Currently the Regals are being imported from Ruesselsheim, Germany (the home of Opel) but next year production should begin here in the U.S. (other members here have a much better handle on that scoop than I do). It is sweet! No doubt!

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #67
HawaiiAura
HawaiiAura is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
I don't believe the paint chips anymore easy on your car as it does on other AURAs (although I've heard U.S. vehicles don't have paints as thick of some imports applied to them???). It's the dark exterior color that makes some flaws more visible than others. That's why I won't go near a darker colored exterior - it begins to look ragged long before it should. I think what might help is keeping it garaged as often as possible and washed and waxed several times / year to help protect the paint.
I got an midnight blue 07 XR with black leather and its cleaned almost daily 4-5x week including the 14 spoke rims and the interior/leather is cleaned and conditioned once a week. It's kept in a dark corner of the parking garage where no one else parks so there's no door dings or scratches. I also give it a 3 coat polish once a month.

I just serviced the vehicle with an K&N drop in filter and royal purple full synthetic oil.

May Aura is my baby, although I did purchase it used, I still love it.

::2007 Aura XR 3.6::
::1995 SVT Mustang Cobra::

"Toyota - Moving forward, even if you don't want to."
"You drive a Saturn? Oh, shet this car is badass!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HawaiiAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HawaiiAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HawaiiAura is offline   Reply With Quote