SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
trishieldfan
trishieldfan is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Brake upgrades.

I was wondering if anyone has come across any upgrades for the Aura as far as brakes. I have only seen stock replacement. A few slotted and drilled rotors and better pads. I am just about to do the brakes all around on my wifes car. Once i order the new control arms for my car i will be getting her brakes. Any information would be appreciated.

Wifes car: 08 Saturn Aura Xe 3.5L in light silver.

My baby: 01 Buick Regal Gs Mild mods and high 13s maybe lower.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trishieldfan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trishieldfan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trishieldfan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Badman
Badman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Brake upgrades.

ok before I start I have no idea if this works. I was looking for brake upgrade for my Saturn XR. I came across a camaro forum. in the forum the brake calipers and brackets on the 2010 V6 camaro looked to be the exact same brake system and the Aura XR (don't know anything about XE)one difference is the front caliper is in the back side of the caliper vs the saturns is in the front. Well the camaro V6 owners changes his brakes to the 2010 SS brembo (stock) braking system. well for some reason I cannot right click on my laptop so I cannot paste the addy. the web site is www.camaro5.com search there. I have no idea how much the stock brake cost. again I'm not sure of this, it was something I found and maybe someone else could find something out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishieldfan View Post
I was wondering if anyone has come across any upgrades for the Aura as far as brakes. I have only seen stock replacement. A few slotted and drilled rotors and better pads. I am just about to do the brakes all around on my wifes car. Once i order the new control arms for my car i will be getting her brakes. Any information would be appreciated.
I had Wagner rotors and ThermoQuiet pads installed all around. 600CAN. Cheaper than the Delco stuff that had only lasted 45000 kilometers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
ziggo99
ziggo99 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I remember asking about this when I had my 99 Accord, and the answer I got was just get Brembo blanks, that the drilled and slotted on a family sedan actually makes braking worse due to less surface area the pads are grabbed. As for pads, Hawk HPS or PC should work for what you need. Maybe try an upgrade in braking fluid too. Stainless Steel or braided brake lines could also be something to look into.

Last edited by ziggo99; 05-08-2010 at 10:15 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ziggo99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ziggo99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ziggo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Supernoma
Supernoma is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Best brake upgrade package looks to be the Brembo brakes on the upcoming Regal GS.

2008 Aura XR- stock (Totaled Nov 2015)

2014 Buick Regal Turbo
2005 Pontiac GTO- 530bhp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Supernoma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Supernoma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Supernoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

What about the Saab Turbo X? Anybody know whether those brakes are upgraded over the stock Epsilon platform brakes? If so, they should fit with minimal, if any, mods...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggo99 View Post
I remember asking about this when I had my 99 Accord, and the answer I got was just get Brembo blanks, that the drilled and slotted on a family sedan actually makes braking worse due to less surface area the pads are grabbed. As for pads, Hawk HPS or PC should work for what you need. Maybe try an upgrade in braking fluid too. Stainless Steel or braided brake lines could also be something to look into.
Yes and no... More surface area= more contact= more friction thus more stopping. but gases build up and slotted rotors relieve the gases, thus less brake fade. They also cool faster as a result of everything. To me its about an even trade on solids vs slotted...

I very much like the slotted/dimpled rotors I put on the front. Got them from brakeperformance.com But getting rid of the squeel that the Aura has seems impossible...

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernoma View Post
Best brake upgrade package looks to be the Brembo brakes on the upcoming Regal GS.
I wish I could afford a Regal GS with the turbo 4...

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
99SL2_Modder
99SL2_Modder is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
I very much like the slotted/dimpled rotors I put on the front. Got them from brakeperformance.com But getting rid of the squeel that the Aura has seems impossible...
I have 0 squeal on my 09, however, it is in dire need of brakes. I only just hit 20k, and all 4 corners are warped, and the fade is ridiculous in comparison to my old 99 SL2. Not a fair comparison, since my 99 had HPS's on 4 corners and SSBL's.

I've yet to see front HPS's and SSBLs. Are there some floating around? I'd love to get this thing stopping better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99SL2_Modder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99SL2_Modder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99SL2_Modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Third year in a row goind down a long hill in Az and the rotor (front I believe) warp tot the point of shaking my fillings out. Next hill I start braking earlier and use a very light touch for about a mile or more at 70 mph. Sure enough, third year in a row the brake warp goes away and the rotor are perfect again.
The process works every time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I'm so frustrated with my AURA's brakes... It's not necessarily the car, I think it's just the nature of rotors, and the extreme conditions they are exposed to in this region. I have had another car with a similar problem, and it seems to be pretty common 'round these parts.

This week I will be installing the fourth set of rotors and third set of pads that have been on my Aura since it was new (2007, 59k miles.)

I am ever having problems with pulsation. The dealer replaced the factory front rotors and resurfaced the rear at ~10,000 miles. At about 25,000 miles the rotors were resurfaced once again.

At 37,000 miles I replaced the rotors and pads. By this time, as you might imagine I was quite frustrated with the rotors. After speaking with many people, I decided to replace my OEM blank rotors with cross drilled/slotted rotors and semi-metallic pads. This was in April 2009.

By the following December (09.. not even eight months later) the rotors were already pulsating, and continued to get worse. At that time I decided to wait until the snow stopped to take care of it. After visiting many shops, no one was willing to resurface the cross drilled/slotted rotors. So I decided to buy new rotors.

I decided to go back to blank rotors, as the cross drilled/slotted did not even last as long as the original blanks did.

This is quite frustrating. I have been told that much of this problem has to do with the heavy winters and use of road salt, as well as the quick temperature changes.. But I'm not convinced. I would just love to find a set of rotors that will remain smooth for an acceptable period of time.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
Third year in a row goind down a long hill in Az and the rotor (front I believe) warp tot the point of shaking my fillings out. Next hill I start braking earlier and use a very light touch for about a mile or more at 70 mph. Sure enough, third year in a row the brake warp goes away and the rotor are perfect again.
The process works every time
I've also found that the 'light braking over long distance' works well... especially if you can do it right after you notice some warping developing (before the rotors have a chance to cool back down).

But to avoid that situation you might want to just downshift and engine brake.

I've also found that rotor warping is most likely to occur when hot brakes are left stationary with the pedal applied. So after really heating up your brakes you come to a complete stop and let the pad just sit on the rotor, you're really encouraging warping to occur.

For that reason if I come to a very quick stop I will either continue to roll forward slowly with the brakes applied and never completely stop... or if that's not an option, I will shift to neutral or park and let off my brakes while I'm stopped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
orton
orton is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1961 View Post
I had Wagner rotors and ThermoQuiet pads installed all around. 600CAN. Cheaper than the Delco stuff that had only lasted 45000 kilometers.
I also did the same as mentioned above and so far, really am satisfied with the change, great braking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
orton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
I'm so frustrated with my AURA's brakes... It's not necessarily the car, I think it's just the nature of rotors, and the extreme conditions they are exposed to in this region. I have had another car with a similar problem, and it seems to be pretty common 'round these parts.

This week I will be installing the fourth set of rotors and third set of pads that have been on my Aura since it was new (2007, 59k miles.)

I am ever having problems with pulsation. The dealer replaced the factory front rotors and resurfaced the rear at ~10,000 miles. At about 25,000 miles the rotors were resurfaced once again.

At 37,000 miles I replaced the rotors and pads. By this time, as you might imagine I was quite frustrated with the rotors. After speaking with many people, I decided to replace my OEM blank rotors with cross drilled/slotted rotors and semi-metallic pads. This was in April 2009.

By the following December (09.. not even eight months later) the rotors were already pulsating, and continued to get worse. At that time I decided to wait until the snow stopped to take care of it. After visiting many shops, no one was willing to resurface the cross drilled/slotted rotors. So I decided to buy new rotors.

I decided to go back to blank rotors, as the cross drilled/slotted did not even last as long as the original blanks did.

This is quite frustrating. I have been told that much of this problem has to do with the heavy winters and use of road salt, as well as the quick temperature changes.. But I'm not convinced. I would just love to find a set of rotors that will remain smooth for an acceptable period of time.
The slotted/dimpled rotors I got from brakeperformance.com come with a lifetime warranty on warping and materials/workmanship. I believe it was $180 for the front pair. Only the dimpled have the warping warranty. To me it was worth the cost. They are USA made. Better than eBAY. I've gotten stuff on eBAY that says its from the States and then I get it and its from Asia somewhere. Not something i'll do for the car.

I got the rotors within 6 months of purchasing my car used. Warpage on the factory rotors was quick and after reading many posts here it would be only a matter of time before needing the quality rotors. So I sprang for them then. Almost 2 years with them.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

Last edited by metgol; 06-08-2010 at 11:07 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
The slotted/dimpled rotors I got from brakeperformance.com come with a lifetime warranty on warping and materials/workmanship. I believe it was $180 for the front pair. Only the dimpled have the warping warranty. To me it was worth the cost. They are USA made. Better than eBAY. I've gotten stuff on eBAY that says its from the States and then I get it and its from Asia somewhere. Not something i'll do for the car.

I got the rotors within 6 months of purchasing my car used. Warpage on the factory rotors was quick and after reading many posts here it would be only a matter of time before needing the quality rotors. So I sprang for them then. Almost 2 years with them.
Very interesting. I think I will look into those rotors in the future. I already purchased new blank rotors and pads for my aura, thought I'm not anticipating that they are going to last very long, though I bet they'll last longer than my cheap drilled/slotted rotors.

Have you had any problems with warpage yet?

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
metgol

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

No warpage at all. I think they're great. Certainly alters the way you brake having the slots.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Dimples and slots don't improve braking performance until heat buildup becomes a factor after repeated hard braking. In fact if anything they will slightly decrease 'cold' braking performance on cars where tires will outperform brakes, though that's likely not the case with the Aura.

If you felt a difference with your dimpled rotors it was likely for some other reason. Better pads, a more even or braking surface, or just the placebo effect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #18
99SL2_Modder

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
Dimples and slots don't improve braking performance until heat buildup becomes a factor after repeated hard braking. In fact if anything they will slightly decrease 'cold' braking performance on cars where tires will outperform brakes, though that's likely not the case with the Aura.

If you felt a difference with your dimpled rotors it was likely for some other reason. Better pads, a more even or braking surface, or just the placebo effect.
+1 on the above, except for the fact the initial bite on slots was extremely nice on the old SL2 with Hawks.

Really not liking the fact there's no full set of Hawks for the Aura. And these tires are absolute garbage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 99SL2_Modder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #19
PeterXR
PeterXR is on a distinguished road

You will feel a big difference between one pad and another with respect to breaking ability and bite. The Hawks are quite good but I've also read some good reports on EBC yellow stuff pads. http://www.silviaparts.com/brake-pads/ebc-yellow.php Check it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeterXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeterXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeterXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:03 AM   #20
99SL2_Modder

2009 AURA XR

BAM!

HB525F.540 Disc Brake Pad; HPS Performance Street w/0.540 Thickness; Rear;
HB524F.740 Disc Brake Pad; HPS Performance Street w/0.740 Thickness; Front;

I cross referenced calipers for the G6's due to the platform sharing. Caliper part numbers are the same, as are rotors. Guess what? The G6 GXP has HPS part numbers for front and rear, but the Aura/Malipoo only have rears listed. Use those numbers for HPS goodness!

Will be ordering mine when I can.

*edit*
Rear's appear to be the same as the Slobalt and the fronts are listed also for Slobalt/Solstice.

Win.

*edit2*
Some good news.

I did some checking and found out that the calipers from the 08 G6 GXP cross to the Aura/Malipoo. *Go figure that they're almost the same car, but you never know.

What this means is that the pads from the G6 GXP can be used on the Aura. *Hawk does NOT list the Aura or Malipoo front brakes as being made, but the G6 GXP has them. *The rear listings match as it is, so:

HB525F.540 Disc Brake Pad; HPS Performance Street w/0.540 Thickness; Rear;
HB524F.740 Disc Brake Pad; HPS Performance Street w/0.740 Thickness; Front;

There you go.

*edit*
While trolling a G6 forum looking for SSBL's, I found also that the 08/09 Slobalt SS Turbo Brembo calipers bolt up. Another win! (fronts only, atm. I'll have to do some more crossing to see if the rears fit.)

Last edited by 99SL2_Modder; 06-25-2010 at 04:17 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!