SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Default Brakes again !

Hi folks,

I've been reading about a lot of brakes issues on this forum over the past two years and I had been hoping to get away with it myself, but the warped rotors issues has now caught up with me.

My question is: is getting the rotors machined and the pads replaced with the standard ACDelco stuff worth it (they want 550 CAN$ for this) or am I better off replacing all rotors and pads with Wagner or Raybestos for a few hundreds more ? I got the impression from your postings that the standard brakes were ***** and repeat offendors.

Also is there anything I should watch out for when shopping for replacement brakes ?

My 07 XE has 45000 km on it and I intend to keep it a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
oachalon
oachalon is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Brakes again !

A few hundred more? Rotors are dirt cheap for this car like $25-30 a piece USD.

I am amazed how much places charge to put brakes on. I can do the fronts with new pads and rotors for about $100. If its required to replace the rears its maybe another $90.

So all new pads and rotors for fronts and rears is $190. I still dont know why people get their rotors turned. For the price of getting them turned you can pretty much get new rotors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oachalon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oachalon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Ditto Oachalon.
Dealership charge 4 to 8 times the actual cost of a brake job and places that specialize in brake jobs generally charge about half what a dealer charges.
Check around for a brake shop, ask for a quality aftermarket rotor and pad deal. Almost any aftermarket rotor and pad combo will cost you half what you dealer wants of AC-Delco crap.

I am assuming you have Brake shops in Canada like we do down here. Even muffler shops, like Midas Mufflers does good brake jobs.

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
OZARKJAY
OZARKJAY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
Ditto Oachalon.
Dealership charge 4 to 8 times the actual cost of a brake job and places that specialize in brake jobs generally charge about half what a dealer charges.
Check around for a brake shop, ask for a quality aftermarket rotor and pad deal. Almost any aftermarket rotor and pad combo will cost you half what you dealer wants of AC-Delco crap.

I am assuming you have Brake shops in Canada like we do down here. Even muffler shops, like Midas Mufflers does good brake jobs.

Good luck
Do all car mfgs. use garbage materials like GM
to save a buck ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OZARKJAY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OZARKJAY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OZARKJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

My last brake job I had the local Firestone do it. They did a terrific job and cheap (they run % off coupons in the sports section of the newpaper almost every week, 10-20% off), a 4-wheel disk job on my Bonneville for under $400. They got all new rotors and caliper packs from NAPA, quality stuff. I figured I could have saved about $100-150 by doing it myself, but I hate doing brake jobs. I had them flush-fill the fluid, and I really hate bleeding brake lines. The brakes were quiet out the door, and 10K miles later no squeeks or squeels. Best luck.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
oachalon
oachalon is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZARKJAY View Post
Do all car mfgs. use garbage materials like GM
to save a buck ?
Ozarkjay, all manufacturers use cheap rotors and materials. Its not really to save money totally. Its the fuel mileage game. Manufacturers are trying to get the rotating mass as light as possible to increase fuel mileage so they can say i get 1 mpg better than the other. To do this they put on thin light rotors.

Every manufacturer seems to be having rotor warping problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oachalon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oachalon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote