SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #21
Admiral Beez
Advanced Member
Admiral Beez is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: Its Official: Saturn to Cease Operations in Canada

It's a sad day. I remember falling for the SL sedans when I finished university in 1995 and went to the local Saturn dealership in Toronto. My 2000 SL2 with 290,000 km is now pretty worn out, but she's still a great car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Admiral Beez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Admiral Beez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Admiral Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #22
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Just received a letter from GM Canada informing me that Saturn Canada is ceasing operations on or before Dec 31, 2009. It seems I am to be notified of GMs' transition plan in due course. I can hardly wait. By the way, we are now at day 14 waiting for a On Star back-up battery. I imagine this is indicative of what we Saturn owners may expect with regard to service for the foreseeable future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #23
Admiral Beez
Advanced Member
Admiral Beez is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

I received a letter in the mail today from Kitchener Saturn advising that they're staying in business. I suppose they hope to stay alive through servicing Saturn cars and selling used cars of various makes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Admiral Beez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Admiral Beez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Admiral Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Just received a letter from GM Canada informing me that Saturn Canada is ceasing operations on or before Dec 31, 2009. It seems I am to be notified of GMs' transition plan in due course. I can hardly wait. By the way, we are now at day 14 waiting for a On Star back-up battery. I imagine this is indicative of what we Saturn owners may expect with regard to service for the foreseeable future.
Just thought I would let you know that my dealer finally called and said "bring the car in". Imagine, only 34 days after reporting the problem. As I said before, heaven help us.
Just to give credit where credit is due, GM Customer Support has been more than attentive to my difficulty and has stayed in touch with the dealer and me. I firmly believe the problem would be continuing had it not been for their involvement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
periklis65
periklis65 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Question for your guys.

I have less than 2 years left on my Aura lease. My buyback is $11,200. I recently changed brakes on all 4s at half the cost my dealer wanted. The car has 52,000klms, I went to Florida last winter and plan to drive there again this Xmas. The car drives very well, irs roomy and trouble free so far.

I know when the lease is over GM will give it to the auction guys and it will sell for peanuts. Should I offer 5K to GM to buy it back? Do you think they would accept something like that?

I surely wont pay the actual buyback price (+ taxes) because I bet the car would be worth just about 5K in the open market with the line gone and all. Surely I am not buying GM again anyhow but I can see me keeping it for at least 5 more years after lease end...IF the price is right....

Opinions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to periklis65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help periklis65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
periklis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #26
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by periklis65 View Post
Question for your guys.

I have less than 2 years left on my Aura lease. My buyback is $11,200. I recently changed brakes on all 4s at half the cost my dealer wanted. The car has 52,000klms, I went to Florida last winter and plan to drive there again this Xmas. The car drives very well, irs roomy and trouble free so far.

I know when the lease is over GM will give it to the auction guys and it will sell for peanuts. Should I offer 5K to GM to buy it back? Do you think they would accept something like that?

I surely wont pay the actual buyback price (+ taxes) because I bet the car would be worth just about 5K in the open market with the line gone and all. Surely I am not buying GM again anyhow but I can see me keeping it for at least 5 more years after lease end...IF the price is right....

Opinions?
I never have leased a vehicle but I seem to remember reading other accounts of people trying to bargain buy their leased vehicles and being told that it is not possible. I could be wrong however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #27
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by periklis65 View Post
Question for your guys.

Opinions?
Read the same here and on other forums. Then again, I also read that GM in the U.S. was willing to take an offer if it was well documented (i.e. same car, similarly equipped, in the same area. I'll find the link). This is GMAC however...and they are having the return leases processed for wear and tear by Autovin, who are said to be S.O.B.s. I'm not counting on any deals...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #28
periklis65

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1961 View Post
Read the same here and on other forums. Then again, I also read that GM in the U.S. was willing to take an offer if it was well documented (i.e. same car, similarly equipped, in the same area. I'll find the link). This is GMAC however...and they are having the return leases processed for wear and tear by Autovin, who are said to be S.O.B.s. I'm not counting on any deals...
Well, if this is the case...its their loss! Good luck getting fair market value with a discontinued product, besides losing another customer forever!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help periklis65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #29
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just as I thought, the link is dead: http://www.gmacleasebuyout.com/faq.html

I guess it's us against them...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #30
periklis65

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Just as I thought, the link is dead: http://www.gmacleasebuyout.com/faq.html

I guess it's us against them...
I spoke with my dealership manager who happens to be a friend. Between myself and a couple of my partners we have bought 5 cars from him...3 Saabs and 2 Saturns..all endangered species now. His shop is closing down Dec 31 and all work will be done at the Chevy dealer next door which happens to be owned by the same people as my Saturn dealer was.

To make a long story short, he told me that unfortunately they have no control over the buyout process and he cannot help me either. In fact he told me that all lease returns are sold at thousands less than what the buyback contract says, but a guy who leased the car in the first place is not allowed to offer anything less................

21 months left and thats it for me! So long GM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #31
l57
l57 is on a distinguished road

When /if you decide to buy your leased vehicle, the dealers calls GMAC and asks for the current FMV (fair market value) price....that is what the dealer pays GMAC. Example: If your buyback on the contract is $10,500.00 but FMV is $8,800.00, the dealer will sell it to you for the contracted price but only has to pay GMAC the lower price. If you have a good relationship with your dealer he will/might/can sell it to you for the lower price plus a few hundred. I've done it twice this year. Note: Its GMAC that dictates the FMV, so if they decide to be unrealistic with the market price there's nothing your dealer can do. I've seen cases where GMAC's FMV was actually higher than the buyback on the contract because of extremely low mileage....but that's been rare...lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l57's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l57 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #32
periklis65

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by l57 View Post
When /if you decide to buy your leased vehicle, the dealers calls GMAC and asks for the current FMV (fair market value) price....that is what the dealer pays GMAC. Example: If your buyback on the contract is $10,500.00 but FMV is $8,800.00, the dealer will sell it to you for the contracted price but only has to pay GMAC the lower price. If you have a good relationship with your dealer he will/might/can sell it to you for the lower price plus a few hundred. I've done it twice this year. Note: Its GMAC that dictates the FMV, so if they decide to be unrealistic with the market price there's nothing your dealer can do. I've seen cases where GMAC's FMV was actually higher than the buyback on the contract because of extremely low mileage....but that's been rare...lol.
Seems logical. I will try it when the time comes...you never know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!