SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion > Canadian Saturn Owners

Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Saturn/Saab Canada - GONE!

General Motors announced earlier this year that we would focus our resources on four core brands: Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC. As such, GM made the difficult decision to sell or phase out Saturn and Saab Automobile AB.

GM entered into a memorandum of understanding with the Penske Automotive Group. Under the terms of the memorandum of understanding, Penske would obtain the rights to the brand as well as certain other Saturn assets in the U.S. GM and Penske have been exploring the potential sale and distribution of Saturn vehicles in Canada. After careful and thorough analysis, it was determined that the business case did not support distribution of Saturn vehicles in Canada.

Similarly, on August 14, 2009 GM entered into a Share Purchase Agreement with a consortium led by Koenigsegg Group AB for the purchase of SAAB Automobile AB. GM Canada has made the difficult decision to no longer continue the distribution of SAAB automobiles in Canada. However, SAAB and the Koenigsegg Group AB are currently in the process of formulating its global operations plan. Upon completion of that plan SAAB will share their intentions with respect to its future plans for the Canadian market.

It is expected that GM Canada’s Saturn and SAAB retailers will cease operations on or before December 31, 2009.

As local Saturn stores cease operations, customer service, parts and warranty needs will transition to local GM dealerships.

Current Saturn and SAAB owners will be notified of a transition plan to ensure that customer service, parts and warranty services are continued in the future in a satisfactory manner.

Makes me SO glad I bought an Outlook!! I love the car, but now what happens? Resale value must take a big hit!
Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Saturn/Saab Canada - GONE!

You'll have to keep it long enough for resale not to matter.
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I wonder if Canada will get the Opel brand?
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
squider
squider is on a distinguished road

This has been confirmed (the press has just not gotten ahold of it yet) but Saturn Canada as of Dec 31 2009 is gone. I like to thank GM for the years of total BS and infighting, bad management etc etc that lead to this. I have worked in GM stores since 1992 and Saturn stores and I am saddened this day to see Saturn Canada just cast away.
Mr Penske may wish to rethink this! To walk away then "maybe" try to come back later to go global with the new Saturn, Canadians don't forget. I WILL NEVER by another new GM made car truck suv go cart NOTHING. I will never buy anything from Penske, will not rent a truck, or rent a car from him.
I do hope Magna steps up to the plate and makes an offer to the Canadian Saturn retailers.Then we can have Canadian made products, (produced in Oshawa) sold and managed by Canadians and serviced by Canadians.
Just my rant.
squider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Before worrying too much about your current Outlook, remember that it is also essentially a GMC Acadia, a very popular vehicle up here.

GM picked up the parts distribution for my old Daewoo, and I can still get new parts for it (although they can be expensive).

It's not a total loss, in other words.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
logbite

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald View Post
Before worrying too much about your current Outlook, remember that it is also essentially a GMC Acadia, a very popular vehicle up here.

GM picked up the parts distribution for my old Daewoo, and I can still get new parts for it (although they can be expensive).

It's not a total loss, in other words.
Yeah, you're right, but the reason I chose Outlook was because it was NOT an Acadia(I like the Outlook's styling better, and the Saturn service was/is FAR superior to the GMC dealer I was with for many years). Motorcity Saturn should branch out on its own and keep the great name it alone has developed!
premium seating,
premium plus seating
cold weather package
Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
logbite

2007 Outlook XR

So - more news on Motorcity Saturn - supposedly they will stay open as a central service rep., although the dealership will close. Customers from most of the closed dealerships in parts of Southern Ontario will have to travel to Whitby for any warranty work or regular service. Also - the car wash service will only be available on Saturdays from now on!
premium seating,
premium plus seating
cold weather package
Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Saturn in the U.S. is still around but not in any better condition. We have our IONs and will get service at the same SATURN retailer as long as it's open. But what does the future hold, another small over priced under powered hatchback like the ASTRA? Maybe the 1.5-1.6L Samsung SM3 sedan. Roger is in a tough spot to get this right or all SATURN loyalists may just walk away.

For myself, I want a small sedan with the option of having an engine with 175-195hp and the torque to get up to speed on the freeways. I want that sedan to be built in the U.S. or Canada. The perfect car for me would be the Opel ASTRA sedan with a 2.2 and 2.4L VVT direct injection engine with a few other tweeks such as a pair cup holders that are within reach of the driver while driving. I'd like to see radio & HVAC controls that feel natual to use. I'd like to see a SATURN badge on that car so I can keep using my SATURN retailer. IF not then I'll buy a FORD, CHEVY, or BUICK. I'd also buy a CANADIAN built ASTRA sedan if it were sold here as an Opel.

I've bought a few SATURNS starting in 1992 ... I hope that is not over.

Last edited by SaturnSdn; 08-30-2009 at 10:19 AM.
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE

When I was in last week for the warranty work I was told by both the shuttle driver and my service rep., that they had been given notice (within their last paycheque envelope) of the dealership closing Dec. 31'09 . ALL Canadian Saturn Dealerships would be closed by that time !

Ya would a thought GM (suits) would ah sanctioned at least one dealership per city centre to be allowed to service Saturns (especially the warranty aspect) vs Saturn owners having to find a reputable GM/Chev dealer. They (reputable) are likely out there but they just seem too big too impersonal, contrary to the Saturn delearship/service model !

Good Luck with this upcoming transition,

doug c
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
When I was in last week for the warranty work I was told by both the shuttle driver and my service rep., that they had been given notice (within their last paycheque envelope) of the dealership closing Dec. 31'09 . ALL Canadian Saturn Dealerships would be closed by that time !

Ya would a thought GM (suits) would ah sanctioned at least one dealership per city centre to be allowed to service Saturns (especially the warranty aspect) vs Saturn owners having to find a reputable GM/Chev dealer. They (reputable) are likely out there but they just seem too big too impersonal, contrary to the Saturn delearship/service model !

Good Luck with this upcoming transition,

doug c
Where have all the Saturn trained mechanics gone. I wonder if there is some way we can find out. I asked at my Saturn retailer if they knew (as far as I can tell all they have left are mechanics that don't seem to have a clue about Saturns) and couldn't get a reply. They must be out there somewhere. Do you think it is possible that GM is shifting them all to a Chevy or GMC dealership to keep them together to service the expected increase in "Saturn" business they will soon inherit.
Oh by the way, I have now been waiting for over a month for a part (On Star back-up battery) and still keep getting the same answer, "it is on back order". The poor service support seems to have already begun.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #11
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

3 of my former Saturn mechanics are now at a local Chevy dealer. You may have to hunt yours down. Or call GM. That's how I found them. My Chevy is supposedly a Saturn Service Center, which means nothing, no badging, no parts inventory, no desk.
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

In regards to Motor City Saturn of whitby I suspect that being it is owned by the same people who own Nurse Chev, it will close and Nurse will pick up the slack. Too bad.
2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i fell sorry for you saturn owners
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
SL2CAM
SL2CAM is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal scan View Post
i fell sorry for you saturn owners

or did you fell on your head?
SL2CAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I have discovered that many Saturn dealerships are owned by people who also own other GM dealerships such as Chev, Cadillac, GMC or Buick, especially so in the bigger cities like Toronto. Mechanically most components should be similar, however the polymer panels on the first generation VUE's and other Saturns may become increasingly difficult to obtain and or service, but they'll still look good after 20 years!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #16
linx3566
linx3566 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Green Line

Will you still be able to get parts for the cars. I own a 03 LW200 and had intentions on keeping it 5 years longer. Maybe Canadian Tire will stock parts?
linx3566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #17
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by linx3566 View Post
Will you still be able to get parts for the cars. I own a 03 LW200 and had intentions on keeping it 5 years longer. Maybe Canadian Tire will stock parts?
I'm sure there is a lot of commonality with other vehicles that are still being produced, especially Chevrolet. The drive train for example is used in other GM vehicles. The only thing that may become rather scarce down the road are the polymer panels.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #18
saturn tech
saturn tech is on a distinguished road

If you are looking for saturn techs alot of them are going to gm dealers if they can find work there.There are alot of us out of work.We were all lied to and told we had jobs and that was not true.Most were lied to so they would stay till the end,so the dealers could keep making money till the end,then let go with no with nothing.

Saturn was a great product and a good place to work,it is a shame what GM has done.
saturn tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
whiskywizard
whiskywizard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn tech View Post
If you are looking for saturn techs alot of them are going to gm dealers if they can find work there.There are alot of us out of work.We were all lied to and told we had jobs and that was not true.Most were lied to so they would stay till the end,so the dealers could keep making money till the end,then let go with no with nothing.

Saturn was a great product and a good place to work,it is a shame what GM has done.
It's good to have an "insider" here. You'll be able to sift through the rumours and correct some of them. I hope you get a break and can quickly find another shop.
03 Suzuki XL7
& a boat requiring 50L of oil per change
whiskywizard is offline   Reply With Quote