SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default And how my life went to hell...

Well earlier this week I was driving and got hit by a truck so my car is somewhat screwed up. Damn drunk mexican! I won't go into all the details, but basically he was supposed to give me $200 and I probably won't be getting it. We decided to settle without calling the police and all that non-sense. (Basically I couldn't take the risk of getting more points on my license, even though it wasn't my fault.)

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
twhitney
twhitney will become famous soon enough

1994 SC2
Default Re: And how my life went to hell...

terrible

I would've went to the police... seriously! Especially if he was drunk! You wouldn't have gotten any points if it was obviously and blatently his fault.

Are you all ok health wise? I'll assume you are with the way your post was... and seeing as though you can still type and create comprehensive sentences.

I'm glad you're ok. Maybe its not too late to call?

1994 SC2 DOHC
2006 Mazda3 sGT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twhitney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twhitney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
SaturnManiac
Master Member

It's better I didn't call the police. I can't take any risks. Anyways, I'm fine, but at this point I don't even care anymore, LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
jollyroger1210
jollyroger1210 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1995 SL2

Wasn't it you who lost their license and got hit by a cop while suspended? If it is, then I see why you didn't call the police.

'98 SC2 manual, red - Dads
'95 SL2 manual, green, new engine - sisters, soon to be mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jollyroger1210's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jollyroger1210 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jollyroger1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
SaturnManiac
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger1210 View Post
Wasn't it you who lost their license and got hit by a cop while suspended? If it is, then I see why you didn't call the police.
Yes I did lose my license temporarily due to an unpaid ticket that I totally forgot about. And I know the hassle of not having one, so maybe I felt pity for the dude other than being drunk. Besides in my state I believe you can exchange insurance information without calling the police because I believe my mom did so once when I was a child, although there ended up being no damage to her vehicle. I know the guy had no license and was drunk and probably didn't have insurance...and being that I'm in a bind for money I gladly accepted the offer.

As for the accident with the cop, it was totally his fault and I was never faulted, just cited for driving while license revoked/suspended. But had I been up front with the cop he would've let me go and I wouldn't have been cited because it would've been better for the both of us since he didn't want to have desk duty or whatever. I suspect the cop used drugs as he clearly made a comment about having to take a drug test...why such a big deal if you're clean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

The real crime here was rewarding this drunk's lack of responsibility and letting him off the hook - so he can continue to drive and potentially take out the next person he hits... . Up here we just had a repeat drunk driver take out an entire family of 6 going the wrong way on the expressway. And no, it wasn't his first time as DUI (but it was his last).

On a personal level, it's folks like that (drunk, no license) that drives my insurance higher than it already is... .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
ajosey
ajosey is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Something like that happened to me. I was driving and i was turning right at a 4 way intersection, the light turned green and i went (having right-of-way and all..) and got t-boned by a BMW. Didnt call the cops because this girl has a dad who does body work (my driver side door is in bad shape) and so we settle at that, she gives me her number and i call her the next day and she responses.."I dont know what youre talking about" and hangs up!

My poor saturn still has that bad driver side door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajosey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajosey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
darnell89
darnell89 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnManiac View Post
Yes I did lose my license temporarily due to an unpaid ticket that I totally forgot about. And I know the hassle of not having one, so maybe I felt pity for the dude other than being drunk. Besides in my state I believe you can exchange insurance information without calling the police because I believe my mom did so once when I was a child, although there ended up being no damage to her vehicle. I know the guy had no license and was drunk and probably didn't have insurance...and being that I'm in a bind for money I gladly accepted the offer.

As for the accident with the cop, it was totally his fault and I was never faulted, just cited for driving while license revoked/suspended. But had I been up front with the cop he would've let me go and I wouldn't have been cited because it would've been better for the both of us since he didn't want to have desk duty or whatever. I suspect the cop used drugs as he clearly made a comment about having to take a drug test...why such a big deal if you're clean.
DAMN!!!!! SEXY IS HURT AGAIN!!!!!!!! I hope your ok!

SATURN FAN 4 LYFE (Darnell)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darnell89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darnell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
...so he can continue to drive and potentially take out the next person he hits...
And if you're own self-interest is more important than the public safety, that's all the more reason that, if your driving privileges aren't totally on the up-and-up, DON'T DRIVE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I've been driving a vehicle for over 20 years now and have never been in an accident. Others seem to get in them routinely. Seems rather odd to me - even if it is always the other person's fault.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I see you are in the Houston area. I can not understand how you manage to not get hit driving in that city.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Precisely. If I can avoid being hit in this city, others should be a cake walk. Although, I must say that I've visited Mexico City on two different occasions and no U.S. city compares to that. If you can drive there, you can drive anywhere.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Strangely enough driving requires close attention to detail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
But then that would inhibit the ensuing melodrama.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #15
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Idea Re: And how my life went to hell...

Quote:
Details? Like coffee, shaving/makeup, the phone , and the radio?
Real pros can deal with all 4 of those, yell at the kids in back, and read/send text messages.
The key seems to be ignoring any controls in the car other than pedals [stomped only], the wheel, and the horn.

still rolling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Must be able to steer with knees also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #17
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Must be able to steer with knees also.
That was what I needed to go delivering New York Times papers when in graduate school. That and shift the Pinto, put the paper in a plastic wrapper, throw it out the passenger window in the right spot, and keep my route on time. Almost nailed someones pet one day and missed a few squirrels. I was lucky...

SaturnManiac, hopefully things will settle in your life and you will have less drama to deal with. I had several accidents when younger, but had a lot of inner turmoil at the time. Reminds me of a song on Hee Haw...Blues, despair, and agony on me. Deep dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all....At least that is the way I remember it. Anyway, things will get better at the proper time.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #18
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

Stop coddling the drunken mexicans/illegal aliens. Two drunk mexicans in a van totalled my 96 SC2 last year and hit another car while our cars were parked on a city street.

Then earlier this year in Minnesota, a Guatamalan and a mexican, both illegal aliens, hit a school bus and killed four kids.

I understand your concern regarding the legal issues, but the individual you let off easy may go on to kill someone. Did this individual even have a license?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 AM   #19
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Should we instead coddle drunk-driving US citizens? Or people who drive without proper privilege, and thus won't contact the police when appropriate? How exactly is national origin or ethnicity relevant to the effect of alcohol on driving ability/judgment?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:46 AM   #20
bigfatdave
bigfatdave is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2001 SL2
Question Re: And how my life went to hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox View Post
Two drunk Mexicans in a van totaled my 96 SC2 last year and hit another car while our cars were parked on a city street.
While I agree with your sentiment, how did both of them in the van cause the accident?
Were they both behind the wheel?

still rolling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigfatdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigfatdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigfatdave is offline   Reply With Quote