SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 07:44 PM   #1
Mjollnir
Mjollnir is on a distinguished road

Default Problems with a SL2

I have three problems with my 2000 SL2 5-speed, I hope you guys have some suggestions for me. The first problem I have is an annoying vibration/noise coming from under the driver side floorboards, mostly the sound comes on when I back off the gas to slow down or maintain a cruising speed. The sound is semi-metallic in nature and kinda cyclical and it resonates into the floorboards. The dealer has already replaced the pipe between the header and the cat, and it only made the sound worse. I have been reading the posts regarding the SL 1 pipe problem, the cure for that is to replace the pipe with the one I already have, so I am outta luck there. Anything else under there that might have a vibrating problem???? My second problem is that when I take off, if I do not start out just right, the car rocks fore and aft and sorta bounces back and forth, now I have seen some fore and aft play in most manual front wheel drives, but, nothing like this!!! Sometimes the rocking is so bad, the only way to make it stop is to push the clutch in. Also, sometimes it will bounce on the highway if the conditions are right say on a road or street where you have to let off the gas, and then come back on. The Saturn dealer has already checked the mounts and says that the are ok. Anyone heard of mounts being this sloppy???? My third problem is a steering wheel shake at speed, tires balanced , rims checked for true, brake discs turned, rack and pinion replaced, still have a tic! crappy tires from Firestone????? My first Saturn dealer was lame and got no where with the fix, the new one I am working with seems to want to fix my problems. I still would like some opinions from you guys. Some background on the car, it arrived in Atlanta September 99 and sat on the lot till I bought it in May 2000, could this have an affect on the car?? I asked why it spent so much time on the lot, the dealer told me the donít sell many manual SL 2ís it had 175 miles on it when I got it, to me this seems like a lot of test dives! I want to be a Saturn fan, but if my little green SL 2 is not cured soon, I may have to dump it and go back to square one. A little help please??????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mjollnir's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mjollnir reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2000, 10:11 PM   #2
asbasb

I have a similar problem with my clutch on a stick 2001 SL. Car has 1000 mi on odo.
Sometimes car is leapfrogging after gear change. It happens only when upshifting from 1-st to the second gear. (FYI, I had only cars with a stick - barring rentals - so I know how to use clutch)
Question to the list? Does clutch need adjustment?
asb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asbasb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asbasb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 10-17-2000, 10:17 PM   #3
SteveP
SteveP is on a distinguished road

A few questions:

1) Have they said anything about replacing the axles?

2) Do you still have those Firestones on there or were they replaced with another set or better yet, something decent.

3) Which dealerships in the Atlanta area? who was the first one and who is working on it now?

You might want to contact Craig at "The Saturn Gallery." He had some of the same problems, hopefully yours are not as bad as his. He could give the litany on what all was tried with his car.

The URL is http://saturn.pair.com/

Good luck on getting this sorted out, it has got to be just irritating as can be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SteveP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SteveP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2000, 05:25 PM   #4
Mjollnir

asbasb: Sounds like we have the same problem my friend, I myself don't think it's the clutch. You should contact the factory right away, or dump the car on the 30 day thing.

Steve P: No, I still have the same tires, they have been balanced and the wheels checked for true. So far, nobody has said anything about the axles. My car is now being worked on by Southlake Saturn, they seem to really want to fix the car, they even found a problem with a shifter cable and fixed it, now at least it shifts slick. I won't say who the other dealership is, I don't want my backside sued off by them for bad mouthing them. I think they were taking a non-logical approach to the problem. First thing they did was turn my brake rotors, rotors??? I never said I had vibes during braking! Why they did that puzzles me. Then they replaced the rack and pinion, again, why that before checking the wheels for true???? They would always say when I complained about them missing an item to check like the wheel true "we'll get it next time you're in" not something I wanted to hear. Now that the new guys are working on it, I get daily progress reports from the Saturn factory customer service rep.

Now for an update, the service manager has found a manual shift to compare mine to on Monday to see if it makes the same noise (God I hope not!) and then we will go from there. I guess we will also compare how it drives, if it is as bad as mine, Saturn is in big trouble!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mjollnir reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2000, 11:38 PM   #5
Mjollnir

Well guys, here is a short update to a long, problem. As I last wrote, my Saturn dealer had found a manual shift SL2 for me to compare to mine, well, guess what? after finding the car, they sold it before I could drive it!!! I had made an appointment to come in and drive the car on a Monday morning, and when I got there I was told it had been sold! Nobody had even thought to call me and save a trip! Again, I was wasting time at the dealers! I decided right there and then to go and file with the state for lemon law protection, when I got home, I called my Saturn factory rep and gave her the bad news, she said little and told me she would call back before the end of business day. Well, she called later to offer to buy my car back in the interests of "customer satifaction" I think the offer was to try and keep out of being put in a lemon law report. Personally, I don't care what the reason is, only thing I know is now I am clear of that tupperware-on-wheels rolling nightmare! The only thing I lost on the deal was my payments made on the car, an acceptable loss for 9,750 miles of driving, lost time from my business, est. time about 70 hours, and my lost faith in the Saturn product. I have a new car now, a Nissan Altima, made by some fine folks in Tenn. we will see how it goes with this one. I know what you are thinking, hey, he got a bigger car! well, yes, I did. But, before I did, I test drove a new Sentra, and let me tell you, it is much more quiet, better quality to the paint,interior and better handling than my SL2. Interesting note though, they had Firehawks on em, go figure eh??? Oh, BTW, I was checking out Nissan's owners web posts, and gess what they were whining about???? You got it, TIRES! yup, they got problems too!!! Seems my Altima is shod with some crappy General tires! Oh, well, when they wear thin I will go get a set of Goodyears and drive content....... I think what is going on is all but the upper end factorys like BMW, Mercedes and the like use tires as cheap as they can get, just something to hold the car off the ground till we can drive it away! A example of this is the latest news on the Firestone/Ford Explorer flap. I think if we made enough noise about our tire woes, maybe the factories would get a clue and do something. Well, we can always hope.......

Good Luck to All ..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2000, 06:09 AM   #6
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Had 3 SL's and never experienced any shifting problems. Very decent of saturn to buy the car back w/o a fight - try that with Nissan or Ford and see what lemon law's about.

Our dealership in NC has numerous SL2 manuals since stick's very popular here. The clutch's hydraulic and not normally adjustable - it self-adjusts to compensate for wear.

Yes about the tires. Got the Generals on a new 92 Sentra. they were crap at 20K.

Sorry you're not a Satty owner anymore. Perhaps you'll give it a try again and have a better experience.

Best wishes.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread