SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
legaspi89
legaspi89 will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Websites to find this part?

On my Saturn L200 2003, Part of this plastic piece came off. Not sure what the name of it is called. Is there websites that sell this whole piece or is the junkyard my only option?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIcky9gekw0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to legaspi89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help legaspi89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
legaspi89 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2
Default Re: Websites to find this part?

They are door appliques. If you google 'saturn parts', it should give you some GM sites to review. Most have a parts diagram and so you should be able to determine which applique you want. By and large trim parts are THE part that quickly disappears off the shelves when cars stop being made. It's compounded in the case of Saturn as the company shut down too.

There are 3 applique panels per side. the rear of the front door, leading edge of the rear door and rear of rear door. You then have left side and right side.

Here's your starter for 10.....https://www.gmpartsonline.net/auto-p...rear-door-scat

If you cannot get new, then your only hopes are Ebay or the Junk yard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

With the exception of the rear appliques for the left and right rear doors all other appliques have been obsolete for several years. I've picked up replacements of those obsolete parts at a self-serve wrecking yard. The difficulty is in finding those which are not already broken, whether it's fully fractured or the hooks on the backside have broken off (three of them - upper, middle, and lower). The hooks can easily brake when removing an applique from the door if one is impatient or is not cautious. If you can find some good ones you may want to repaint them. The exterior finish typically becomes dulled from long term exposure to the elements.

I picked up two of each a couple of years ago for $5.00 per piece.

290,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
legaspi89

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I appreciate the feedback. Ok. So I found a site that sells them. I'm pretty sure this is the one I need. "The Left Rear Applique." I'm pretty sure its the fist one, the first link I posted. I just want to be sure though.

here's my video again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIcky9gekw0

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...w0LWdhcw%3D%3D

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...SABEgJ34fD_BwE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help legaspi89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Congratulations on finding a source for new door appliques. It's very helpful! However, the last link in the post with p/n 24427132, is for the left front door. The part in the video which is broken is the front applique at the left rear door. The other part linked to is the rear applique at the left rear door. These break more often than any of the others.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 07-18-2018 at 03:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
bromli
bromli is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Those are called "applique", which is french for "plastic piece that becomes so brittle even breathing funny will break it in half". If you're lucky enough to find ones in good condition at your local salvage yard, then you are the luckiest man on earth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bromli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bromli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bromli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
legaspi89

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I really appreciate the replies. So would there be any instructions how to remove the applique? Is there a certain way how to do it?

I found this video. Not sure if its similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eKvvmj_IOk

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

You have to remove the chrome/rubber strip across the door by the bottom of the window. On the rear door, there is a small nut you remove. You then have to heave that piece of trim UP. A plastic trim tool is great as they don't damage paintwork or stuff. Once that is off, then you carefully pull DOWN on the applique as it is held on by small plastic L shaped clips. These are the damn things that usually perish with age or break as you remove them. A new panel will be fresh strong plastic, though manufactured years ago!

I had to replace one on my lads L300 about 1 month ago. I couldn't find a JY piece with intact clips for love nor money, so instead I bought some 3M trim tape specially made ofr auto trim and outside use. It's like the foamy tape that has adhesive on both sides. I think I got it from Walmart or one of the autostores. Like $5.00 for 5 feet. Once located and the plastic trim pushed on the tape holds in place, hopefully better and for longer than the damn plastic clips.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaspi89 View Post
...So would there be any instructions how to remove the applique? Is there a certain way how to do it?

I found this video. Not sure if its similar...
No, the b-pillar cover removal in the video is not similar enough to the operation required to remove the exterior door trim appliques on our L-Series cars. The only similarity is in pulling the weather stripping out from underneath the applique, but that's all. Neither Haynes nor my factory service manual actually describe how to replace an applique. However, it's rather logical if you look closely at the upper door area nearest the base of the window. I will attempt to give a step by step order for the rear door's front applique removal.

(A general cautionary note: be judicious and careful with these parts you're working around. They are plastic and a very light metal. Do not be in a hurry to do anything here. These parts can easily be damaged.)

1) Roll the window down fully.
2) Remove the small bolt on the interior side of the door directly behind the lower end of the front applique. (This bolt holds the applique and the forward end of the exterior belt weather strip in place.)
3) Remove the exterior belt weather strip.

A) The belt strip is also held in place by clips over the door edge at the window opening - three if my memory is correct - and they secure it very tightly. At the rearward end the strip is pressed on to a small plastic "teat" seated in the door. You will have to lift up the strip with a door trim panel removal tool, but be very careful not to scratch the upper door beneath the area where you're working.

Place a small towel, or some other item, beneath the tool while lifting the belt strip from the upper door edge because you're using the door for leverage. Again, these clips hold the belt strip very tightly in place so you need a certain amount of strength to do this while taking care not to allow the tool to slip or accidentally bend the belt strip. I believe that I used one hand with the tool and the other hand to help lift the belt strip.

B) Use the tool and gently pry the strip off of the "teat" and lift the strip out and away from the door.

5) Pull the window track's weather stripping out from underneath the applique.

6) Remove the applique.

A) Begin to lift the applique upward. You will need to move it upward about an inch or so to begin to expose the "hooks" which attach it to the door.

B) As you see the hook appearing lift the applique slightly (from the edge nearest the window), pulling it away from the door while simultaneously lifting upward again.

C) Pull the applique forward (towards the front of the car) to remove wrap around portion off of the door.

Installing the applique is probably the trickiest part.

1) Reinstall the window track's weather strip.
2) Place the applique in position above the hook attachment slots found on the door.
3) Push the applique over the forward door edge.

(When doing this you'll find that the applique will not be flush to the door but lifted at an angle because the hooks are not yet in place inside of the door. Be careful not to accidentally break a hook at this pont by pressing down too hard against it.)

4) Gently begin to slide the applique downward so that the hooks will fall into their slots. Remember that the rear edge of the applique must lay on top of the outside edge of the weather strip as it did before.

The remainder is the reverse of the removal order, namely, parts 3 and then 2.

Last edited by pierrot; 07-31-2018 at 01:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
legaspi89

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you for the replies. I just ordered the part. I'll do my best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!