SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
scastle25
scastle25 is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 AWD REDLINE 3.5Liter Noise/Misfire Code?

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue redline AWD with the 3.5 liter engine. Recently my wife said the engine light came on and started flashing. Soon after this it started making a bad growling noise coming from the front of the passenger side. It does not do this on turning and it will not do this sitting still with the brake slightly pressed in while giving gas. Engine light stays on but only flashes between 3-4,000 rpms. I have changed all the spark plugs and even changed #1 ignition coil since mechanic said it was misfiring....still hasnt helped with the problem. Any information on what could be going on? Thanks.
scastle25 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2004 AWD REDLINE 3.5Liter Noise/Misfire Code?

How many miles?

So, to be certain ... the noise is only present while moving but disappears when turning right?

I assume the misfire code is/was P0301 based on mechanic suggestion to replace cylinder # 1 coil pack - have you tried any injector cleaning additives added to fuel tank?

What was condition of removed spark plugs (sooty, damp, etc.).
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
scastle25

The car has 86,000 miles on it. Sorry I wasnt clear on the noise, it only makes the noise during acceleration and deceleration. Its worse when Im going at slower speeds. I have tried seafoam as well.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
scastle25

Spark plugs showed no sign of wear (burnt, soot, damp).
Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle25 View Post
The car has 86,000 miles on it. Sorry I wasnt clear on the noise, it only makes the noise during acceleration and deceleration. Its worse when Im going at slower speeds. I have tried seafoam as well.
Lets talk about noise .... could it be exhaust leak?

Do you think engine? Transmission? Wheel bearing?

Do you know how to check the AWD prop-shaft support bearing?

If parked - trans in P or N and race engine - noise?

If moving - around 30 mph - put trans to N - race engine - noise?

If moving - around 30 mph - put trans to I - race engine - noise?
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
scastle25

Im thinking more engine, because the transmission does shift like it always has before and the fact there is a multiple misfire code being shown. I have thought of the possibility of an exhaust leak or catalyc converter problem. Not sure how to check the converter or the or AWD prop shaft support bearing.

When in P or N and racing engine there is no noise.

I have drove the vehicle in I and it still makes the growling noise.

The noise is definately in the passenger side and you can feel it as well as hear it. Also sounds rough when starting, it starts fine, but almost like a valve rattle when idling. You cant hear it unless you are in the vehicle, I have had people stand outside as I drive by them to see if they can hear it and noone can.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Its difficult to think of engine noise being present only when vehicle's in gear. I'm not saying it can't happen but its an oddity if it does.

In one sentence you say there's no noise when racing engine in P or N. In another you mention engine sounds rough when starting and you have noise almost like a valve rattling when its idling.

You mention multiple misfire code but mechanic suggested replacing cylinder 1 coil-pack. Do you have a list of codes downloaded by mechanic? If no, can you stop by a local auto parts house to see if they'll read codes for you? Auto-Zone would be my last choice to read because their scanner tends to miss many - even generic - codes.

Regarding AWD prop-shaft - would only be noisy when vehicle moving. The shaft has two sections with a center support hanger in between. You can grab either shaft near the support and try to move about. Any significant movement indicates the rubber around the center support bearing is torn and otherwise deteriorated.

A partially clogged cat should set a code ... would be nice to know which ones are stored in your module.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
scastle25

Im really bad at this..haha. Let me try to explain again. The noise at startup just recently started and sounds kinda like a valve rattle. The other noise is a growling noise and it only happens when the vehicle is moving and not when its just in P or N with the gas pressed down.

When the car first set an engine code I took it to Oreillys and it showed a seperate code for each cylinder misfiring along with a multiple misfire code. At this point I took it to my mechanic who has a much better code reader and his showed all six cylinders misfiring as well, but when he drove it up and downt he road it only showed #1 misfiring 107 times within a half mile so I decided to change it along with all the spark plugs. This did nothing to my noises or the rattle during startup.

I will stop again by the auto parts store and get a list of the codes for you but I do remember there was 8 codes. 6 was for each cylinder misfiring. 1 was for multiple misfire and the last for a evaperation leak thats been set for a long time due to the fuel tank cap being junk.

Thanks for all your help and patience.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

On Honda engines misfires on all cylinders is a good indicater of the need for a valve adjustment. Start there and see what happens.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #10
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn will become famous soon enough

for whats it worth i replaced EVERYTHING trying to get the misfire codes to go away added a new locking gas cap codes went away and never came back
2004 REDLINE FWD TONS OF MODS..CLICK HERE http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3144619
1999 MERCEDES BENZ AMG E55,MY DD VETTE KILLER
2000 328I M3 RIMS
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by scastle25 View Post
Im really bad at this..haha. Let me try to explain again. The noise at startup just recently started and sounds kinda like a valve rattle. The other noise is a growling noise and it only happens when the vehicle is moving and not when its just in P or N with the gas pressed down.

When the car first set an engine code I took it to Oreillys and it showed a seperate code for each cylinder misfiring along with a multiple misfire code. At this point I took it to my mechanic who has a much better code reader and his showed all six cylinders misfiring as well, but when he drove it up and downt he road it only showed #1 misfiring 107 times within a half mile so I decided to change it along with all the spark plugs. This did nothing to my noises or the rattle during startup.

I will stop again by the auto parts store and get a list of the codes for you but I do remember there was 8 codes. 6 was for each cylinder misfiring. 1 was for multiple misfire and the last for a evaperation leak thats been set for a long time due to the fuel tank cap being junk.

Thanks for all your help and patience.
See advice from ssicarman and nitroussaturn ... they speak from experience.

I've attached extracts for misfire and electronic ignition.

I would temporarily remove the accessory drive belt to see if noise clears (AC compressor, alternator bearing, belt idler, etc).

I'd be somewhat concerned about something going wrong with timing belt - a loose belt (stretched or bad idler).

A simple compression check would reveal if any / all valves are out of adjustment.

My internet service is pathetic - I'm not always able to log-on - which is good news for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - 3.5 Misfire DTC.pdf (50.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - 3.5 Elec Ign.pdf (46.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
scastle25

Thanks guys, I will start checking all of this and get back with you on what I have found.