SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Code P0302

I just scanned the car because my SES Light is out and have been randomly scanning it. My code reader came back with p0302. The car sputters unless you rev it .... feels like it wants to die but hasn't yet.....I have a sketchy internet connection now so I haven't had a chance to research it much and won't until I get home......so here is what I do know....I have leak at the valve cover gasket...last time I changed the plugs it was in all four wells...but worst on the one farthest left as you face the engine...and it's been a while since I've changed the plugs...is this the possible culprit or is there anything else it might be?
The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Code P0302

NGK plugs and good wires to start with. If that does not fix it then you need to run a compression test, both wet and dry.

Plugs are BKR5ESA-1
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
KSW
KSW is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Intake manifold gasket leak causing a misfire in cylinder one.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

I just took a good look under the hood, and it appears as though I have a coolant leak that looks like it's coming from the tip of the upper radiator hose going into the block..the stuff runs down the front of the engine there and looks as though it's gone under the coil packs....am I correct in assuming this could be a part of the problem?
The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It could be a contributor. Fix the leak, clean the coils and module, replace the plugs and wires. Might want to fix the cam cover gasket leak also.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
Intake manifold gasket leak causing a misfire in cylinder one.
Perfect explanation for:

* a P0301
* on a gen-3
* SOHC car

NONE of which apply here.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
KSW
KSW is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Thank you
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Since I don't have a decent lighting source I am going to have to get on this asap after I get off work tomorrow.. I sure hope thats all it is.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Well I finally got time to take the coilpacks off..and they do look a bit dirty and like some gunk might have gotten down where the ICM mounts...but... I think, and am hoping...that the bigger issues is actually what I found next...since it was the code for misfire in Cyl. 2 I popped that plug wire off the plug first and there is alot of oil in there.....so I am hoping that a new set of plugs and wires as well as cleaning the coilpacks will alleviate the problem while I order and find time to change the camcover gasket....again.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Oil will cause a misfire.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Oil will cause a misfire.
Now will letting what oil I can't sop up run back down from the wells hurt much, or am I correct in thinking that the key thing here is getting clean plugs and wires(of course remembering I need to get the valvecover gasket changed asap)
Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When you pull the plug you will be able to get paper towels in ther and clean it out. The oil will land in the cylinder and burn, non problem. Paper towels along the side of the plug will get most of the oil out though.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
When you pull the plug you will be able to get paper towels in ther and clean it out. The oil will land in the cylinder and burn, non problem. Paper towels along the side of the plug will get most of the oil out though.
Well this sucks...cleaning the ICM and changing the plugs and wires hasn't made a bit of difference, the only difference is that the car smokes now from the oil that ran down in there...yeah....going to scan the codes again to see if anything new is there but...with my girlfriend losing her job and not knowing what the hell is causing this....this is just really bad timing.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The next step is to run a compression check.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
You should be able to use a loaner tool from FLAPS.
(make sure it has all the parts in the kit before you leave the store)

Melissa_M
1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
If only I had the tools to even do that...or could afford them....then I would need to figure out how...is it very hard?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #17
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

I forgot to ask this, not that it is related but I thought I would give it a shot...I've had a clogged cat for a while...and I thought at first the herky jerky driving I just developed was because of that...would that or some sort of fuel problem be at all related to this?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

To some extent yes, fuel problems could be a contributor. There is a richpin video on how to do a compression test. the Harbor Freight compression tester is about 10.00. Some parts stores loan them out also.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #19
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
To some extent yes, fuel problems could be a contributor. There is a richpin video on how to do a compression test. the Harbor Freight compression tester is about 10.00. Some parts stores loan them out also.
I was just rummaging through the tool cabinet and realised I have a compression tester someone else had bought and given to me...but I have no idea if it will work on the Saturn....what kind of fittings do you need for my SL2?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

A 14mm spark plug thread. Screws into the plug hole.