SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
ASE_Tek0312
ASE_Tek0312 is on a distinguished road

Default clutch hydraulics

My clutch hydraulics are bad and Ive noticed ppl usually go with the autozone preblead unit for like 82 dollars or something. sounds good to me, but my question is how long does the job take? im a saturn clutch hydraulic virgin. i dont know whether to do it on the weekend, or if i can do it within a 3 hour period i have free on friday. any advice will help to make my life easier :P

1997 SL2 Auto - Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ASE_Tek0312's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ASE_Tek0312 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ASE_Tek0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL
Default Re: clutch hydraulics

Slave or master cylinder man? Give us something to go on.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:51 AM   #3
LUNCHBOX
LUNCHBOX will become famous soon enough

1993 SW2
1993 SC1

Well, the slave cylinder setup is pretty damn easy to do. My car has the battery relocated to the trunk, so it's real fast lol.

Once you move the battery and tray and the intake, there is not much to it. There is a clip on top of the clutch pedal arm where the slave is connected and the unit is removed from the firewall by twisting it to the left, and pulls through. On the trans side, you remove the two 13mm bolts from the support and twist the assembly to the left as well to release it.

Re-install is the opposite but you have to be careful, the new setup should have the pushrod held into the unit with two ears (this will make sense when you see it), leave them in place when you re-insert into the trans (they release when you hit the clutch pedal) then re-bolt the suport. Also be gentle when twisting, it should go very easily to the right and the same goes for the firewall re-install (this can be tricky with the brake lines). Re-attach the clip on the clutch pedal arm and you are set.

It really should not take too long. My car is gutted all over so I can't judge on an oem setup but I gotta say less than 90 minutes with all the oem stuff in the way and being careful.

1993 SC1.5 - 1993SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LUNCHBOX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LUNCHBOX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LUNCHBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

If it takes you an hour, you took a 15 minute break. It's down right easy. I believe there's a How-To for it in the How-To library.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

First time through will take perhaps 75 minutes if you have anti-lock brakes, a bit less if not, and a lot less if you are experienced working on the Saturn. Follow the instruction in the How-to-library forum. Check position of the slave operating rod vis-a-vis the clutch pedal as you install the replacement in the fire wall to be sure it is in the correct positon before you rotate the unit in to the locked position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

This should be in the How-To but, just in case, the assembly will comes with a plastic strap on the pin on the slave cylinder. It looks like something you are supposed to take off. DON'T!!! Leave it on. It's there to keep the pin from falling into the bell housing when you install it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
ASE_Tek0312

well thanks for all the replies. i was talking about replacing the whole master/slave assembly if you didnt figure that out. I tried to see if napa had something like it but they didnt. I guess autozone is the only place? that sucks i dont have one in town. I filled up my resivour because it appeared to be empty, Im sure i probably sucked air in there. my pedal feels like ass. Im not really sure which cylinder is leaking but I plan on replacing the whole assembly for ease of install mostly. im also about to spend 200 dollars for a brake system overhaul and another hundred for a few switches i needed and a couple mirrors.

also i checked autozone online and the price for the prebleed unit was 129.99, i thought i read it was like 82$ on here somewhere. saturnparts.net is 145.xx

also also, i searched the how to's and didnt find the post. thats the first thing i did b4 i posted

1997 SL2 Auto - Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ASE_Tek0312 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
sPuddingTime
sPuddingTime is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

I will add that in order to get the battery tray out, there is a third bolt that you have to remove from the driver-side wheel well. Might have to jack up the car because it sits behind the tire. This one really tripped me up when I did mine. Took about 1/2 hour of cursing before I finally figured this out. No mention of it in my Haynes manual if I remember right.

93 SL2 107k mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sPuddingTime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sPuddingTime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sPuddingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

ASE_Tek0312 if you're losing fluid, it's probably your slave cylinder but, it doesn't matter because you're going to get told to replace the whole thing anyway. Instructions from memory:

Take out the battery and battery tray (Good time to clean that tray up with some baking soda and water BTW.). As previously mentioned one of the bolts for the battery tray is in the driver's side wheel well.

Unclip the shaft from the clutch pedal to the master cylinder inside the car.

Unbolt the brackets on the slave cylinder.

Turn the master cylinder 1/4 turn counter clockwise to get it off. If you have ABS, you'll have to loosen the bolts on the brake master cylinder and move it out a bit from the firewall.

Push the slave cylinder in and turn 1/4 turn counter clockwise to get it out.

Going in is pretty much the opposite of going out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
ASE_Tek0312

thanks buddy, i just need to get my part in to do this. i hope my clutch is still usuable till then. right now its hard to shift and the clutch needs to be about 2 more inches depressed to disengauge than normal. still dont know if its only available at autozone and saturn

1997 SL2 Auto - Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASE_Tek0312 View Post
also i checked autozone online and the price for the prebleed unit was 129.99, i thought i read it was like 82$ on here somewhere. saturnparts.net is 145.xx
I only paid $81.99 from AZ when I bought mine 4 months ago but I just checked online and it says $129.99 now. For the little price difference, I might go OEM.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #12
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle1 View Post
I only paid $81.99 from AZ when I bought mine 4 months ago but I just checked online and it says $129.99 now. For the little price difference, I might go OEM.
Yeah they did go down for a while. It used to be around $180 from AZ and I'd tell everyone to go OEM. Then they were at around $82 and I'd say it was an option but, no data on durability. If they're back to $130 then, I'm back to saying OEM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2007, 12:11 AM   #13
ASE_Tek0312

haha too late I had to order mine from AZ to get it by saturday so i could do it this week, already paid. basically I only have acess to AZ on the weekends (college). so it will be about 140 from AZ with tax, and about 165 or so with shipping from saturnparts.net. Saving 25 dollars and about a week. hmm owell I think it will be okay. did anyone notice anything cheap about the AZ one when they compared it to their OEM one they removed?

1997 SL2 Auto - Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASE_Tek0312 View Post
did anyone notice anything cheap about the AZ one when they compared it to their OEM one they removed?
They looked exactly the same to me. The only difference I noticed is that the clutch effort was less than before or on my other car with manual trans. At least the one from AZ comes with a lifetime warranty.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
ASE_Tek0312

sweet lifetime warranty, im excited now i didnt even see that

1997 SL2 Auto - Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!