SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default A different theft deterrent radio question

I have a '96 SC2 and a '00 SW2. Both the radios say they are theft deterrent. I got the code for the '96 years ago and I have to use it every time I disconnect the battery. Today I disabled the DRLs on the '00 using the procedure in the How-To forum. That procedure said to disconnect the battery. I figured the radio would be locked. So, I came in and reviewed the procedure to unlock the radio in the How-To forum. Pen and pad in hand I went back out to the car to get the radio codes, but the radio wasn't locked. The channel presets were cleared and I had to set the time, but that's all. Why wasn't the radio locked?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
JS593
JS593 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
Default Re: A different theft deterrent radio question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
I have a '96 SC2 and a '00 SW2. Both the radios say they are theft deterrent. I got the code for the '96 years ago and I have to use it every time I disconnect the battery. Today I disabled the DRLs on the '00 using the procedure in the How-To forum. That procedure said to disconnect the battery. I figured the radio would be locked. So, I came in and reviewed the procedure to unlock the radio in the How-To forum. Pen and pad in hand I went back out to the car to get the radio codes, but the radio wasn't locked. The channel presets were cleared and I had to set the time, but that's all. Why wasn't the radio locked?
probably just an error, it doent happen all the time, i wouldnt worry abnout it. a car is like a computer, there are things you can do, thing you cant do, and things you cant see the computer do in the background. Most likley your radio has a Lithium recharageable battery, kinda like an alam clock... if disconnected for "um" ammount of time, it will reset, you proabbly didnt disconnect it long enough for the code to dissapear.

92 SL1 SOHC TBI
Custom intake
Alpine deck, speakers, amp
JBL Sub
Ultimate amp
Volometer gauge mounted in dash
Magnaflow exhaust
....DEAD.... Car towed away Jan 18 2007. RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JS593's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JS593 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JS593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

The lock has to be activated, your 00 wasn't.

Don't bother activating it; it will be a net minus. If someone steals your radio they will claim there isn't a code-- they're already theives they'll lie too. Then the third party buyer will complain about how retarted GM radios are.

Or you'll lock yourself out a later date, and have to pay the dealer $50 to unlock it or Best Buy $79 to put a better one in.

Also 2000+ radios don't follow the standard GM AC delco unlock scheme the earlier ones have, so you can't buy a code off ebay as easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I think eljefino's probably got it right. My '96 was activated my '00 wasn't. Beter not to have to deal with the codes anyway. Besides it's not like I have bumpin' 12s. Who would bother stealing the stock radio?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
waremock
waremock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino View Post

Also 2000+ radios don't follow the standard GM AC delco unlock scheme the earlier ones have, so you can't buy a code off ebay as easily.
What is the procedure? I was able to get the unlock code but I can't get it to the point to enter the code. Any help would be very useful. Thanks

Come visit me @ Geeks for Christ Http://www.geeksforchrist.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waremock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waremock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waremock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Frank3
Frank3 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Wrench Re: A different theft deterrent radio question

When I got my 2000 SL1 the previous owner had setup theftloc on the radio. During the transfer from the the dealer to me, someone had left the dome light on and killed the battery. They (the dealer) went and pulled the battery to replace it but it left the radio in a locked state. I used the owner's manual in the glove box as it had all the info I needed to unlock the radio, even handwritten notes in the 'notes' section that the unlock code was the number of their house on some street in NY. With a copy of the old title (which had the previous owner's address on it) in hand it was a snap to unlock.

Last edited by Frank3; 05-19-2007 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: typo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frank3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frank3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Ryan from Ohio
Ryan from Ohio is on a distinguished road

Who in their right mind would steal a factory radio?

Even a pawn shop wouldnt buy it...

Ive got a $2000+ CD player in my car, nobody has tried to steal it (yet). I think your stock radio will be fine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryan from Ohio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryan from Ohio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ryan from Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:28 AM   #8
nitsua y zarc
nitsua y zarc is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

what on earth do you have that plays CDs and costs $2k at the same time?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitsua y zarc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitsua y zarc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nitsua y zarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #9
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Who in their right mind would steal a factory radio?

Even a pawn shop wouldnt buy it...

Ive got a $2000+ CD player in my car, nobody has tried to steal it (yet). I think your stock radio will be fine
He's not worried about it being stolen. Saturn put theft deterrent radios in these cars and his theft deterrent has been activated. He's trying to get it unlocked. It's a royal pain as far as I'm concerned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Ryan from Ohio
Ryan from Ohio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsua y zarc View Post
what on earth do you have that plays CDs and costs $2k at the same time?

Barn, that sucks.

Heres an old trick always worth a try.

Toss it in a freezer overnight.

Believe it or not, it has worked for many.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryan from Ohio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryan from Ohio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ryan from Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote