SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 04:18 AM   #1
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Wrench MMO Piston Soak

This DIY proceedure is cheap and may help a Saturn with stuck oil control piston rings to use less oil by freeing them up. You'll need:

1. 12oz or 20oz bottle of "Marvel Mystery Oil" available at Walmart (among other places)
2. A spark plug socket, and old towel and AT LEAST 8 hours where you won't need to drive the car.

Does not ALWAYS work but here goes.
1. Remove spark plugs from "cold" engine
2. Pour 1~2 oz Marvel Mystery Oil into each spark plug hole
3. Allow to remain in overnight (at least 8 hours)
4. In the morning, cover the plug holes loosely with a towel and turn over the engine for 3~ 5 seconds with the plugs OUT to purge any remaining liquid MMO.
5. Replace plugs and drive normally after pouring remaining MMO(if you have any left) into gas tank full of gas

NOTE: The car maybe somewhat difficult to start initially after treatment and will SMOKE like a chimney for the first few minutes or so after it does start. This is normal and will cause no damage. Adding an additional 12oz bottle of MMO to the CRANKCASE (even if you have to slightly overfill it) about 400 miles prior to the next 2 oil changes can be beneficial as well.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Does it matter if you do this right before or right after an oil change?

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:50 PM   #3
sp33doe
sp33doe is on a distinguished road

wolfaman

i cant find marvel mystery oil

is there any substitute for this ?

i live here in canada and the wal mart outlet here is crap
they dont have nothing even ngk plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sp33doe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sp33doe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2003, 10:54 PM   #4
sp33doe
sp33doe is on a distinguished road

oops sorry should be wolfman

sp33doe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sp33doe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sp33doe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-29-2003, 12:12 AM   #5
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by sp33doe
i cant find marvel mystery oil
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/chmm012.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/chmm013.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-29-2003, 01:25 AM   #6
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Drive to the states and get some?

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:04 AM   #7
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Does it matter if the car is on a flat surface or an incline?

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2003, 04:26 AM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Level surface for best results....but if you live in San Fransisco (LOL) just INCREASE teh amount of MMO added to the cylinders by about a 1/2 once or so. AND MAKE SURE, to crank the engine with the plugs OUT to purge any remaining liquid!

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:45 PM   #9
amazinghl
Master Member

Why? I like the white smoke!

I know, I know, it's a bad idea to try to compress liquid...

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2003, 11:45 PM   #10
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Any recommendations for something a bit stronger than MMO to try if MMO doesn't help? I think somebody mentioned GM top engine cleaner, somebody else mentioned Berryman B-something and Seafoam is another possible.

Suppose you substituted one of these more aggressive solvents and squirted some 10 wt oil in the cylinders before cranking with the plugs out to reduce potential wear from washing down the oil film of the cylinders?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:24 AM   #11
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I put Lucas oil stabilizer stuff in my crankcase, still have some left. Should that work instead of MMO? I don't have alot opf money, so yea... if I can save a buck, I will.

Then: 1993SC2m
Now: 1996 Jeep XJ, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2003, 06:54 PM   #12
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Well, I have a 95 SL2 with 152K on it, which has has oil consumption problems. I had done a MMO soak 18 months ago, which appeared to offer only minor improvement.

Compression readings were around 156.

Anyway, I figured another piston soak couldn't hurt... so I did the following:

I substituted Seafoam for the MMO. I let it sit overnight. Then before spinning the engine, I squirted a few ounces of 30 wt oil in the cylinder so they wouldn't be dry. Then spun the engine to remove the excess, put in the plugs and started it.

Mild smoke occurred for a short time. Once oil was circulating through the system, I then did a few heavy acceleration from idle to near redline and back down to idle.

Since I've been on vacation (some vacation - doing all sorts of chores) I haven't been commuting to work and haven't been able to measure the oil usage since. I'll report when I know something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:04 AM   #13
amazinghl
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1993SC2
I put Lucas oil stabilizer stuff in my crankcase, still have some left. Should that work instead of MMO? I don't have alot opf money, so yea... if I can save a buck, I will.

Lucas oil is just HEAVY oil, it is NOT high power detergent like MMO is which is require to get rid of the carbon.

MMO can be have for under $4. Just don't eat one meal.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
You might think twice before you use the Lucas oil additive, because it increase air bubbles in your oil... which is BAD.

*I know the pictures arn't good, but you can see the oil changed the color because of the air bubbles*

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2003, 03:16 PM   #14
shift
shift is on a distinguished road

I say the 12oz for MMO for 1.99 @ my local AutoZone.

Going to do this Friday night.
Thanks guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shift's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shift reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2003, 03:23 AM   #15
amazinghl
Master Member

I buy a Gal of MMO at a time.

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2003, 12:33 AM   #16
shift

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know I did this and I shall say boy was my car spitting white smoke for a while. ALso I noticed when I was purgin it, I did cover the spark plugs holes and I notce the spark plug hole (closets to the air box) had the flid come out of it (red color). But I put the plugs back in after the purge and I did seem to smoke more the Smokey and the Bandit. White color. I thought I was an nuclear war

Nah... but I drove it for about 5 miles and no more smoke. As for IF my car is still burning 1 quart every 230 miles?............I dunno yet. I will post back in a week to let you all know if it cured the buring oil problem on my SC2.

-Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help shift reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2003, 11:00 AM   #17
amazinghl
Master Member

How long did you leave the MMO in there?

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2003, 08:50 AM   #18
shift

Quote:
Originally posted by amazinghl
How long did you leave the MMO in there?
About 10 hours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2003, 11:20 AM   #19
amazinghl
Master Member

Not long enough.
With MMO soaking, the longer the better.

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2003, 10:30 PM   #20
robh456
robh456 is on a distinguished road

GM recommends a procedure similar to this one on some Cadillacs with the Northstar engine which can experience high oil consumption due to the rings becoming stuck with carbon (in this case, probably due to being driven by slow-driving grampas who never drive it hard enough to burn it off!). They suggest using some stuff which they call Piston and Ring Cleaner and a special kit to induce it into the cylinders. It warns not to leave it in less then 2 hours (or it will be ineffective) or more than 3 hours (the debris may soak back into the rings).

They recommend to change the engine oil after this treatment - likely not so necessary with MMO, but with the stronger stuff like Top Engine Cleaner, you likely don't want to leave it floating around in the oil as it doesn't lubricate..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robh456's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robh456 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread