SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Chickabittie
Chickabittie is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1995 SL2
Wrench 1996 SL2 service engine soon light

Hi Saturn Fans!

So my "little girl" ('96 SL2, 5 speed, 83,000 miles) had her SES light on, went to AutoZone, they read the code, said the front O2 sensor was bad. I bought the part and replaced it. The SES light stayed on. They cleared the code. The light has been coming on intermittently since I installed the new O2 senor a couple months ago. I keep going back, they keep saying it is the front O2 sensor I replaced, and they clear the code for me. Has anyone had this problem? Do you think the new O2sensor is bad, or does the car's computer take a while to catch up with the info? Also, could it be a wiring problem? When I first bought the car in June, they had to replace a master fuse, due to a faulty after market alarm system someone put in. I crank my gas cap shut when filling up, so that is not the problem.

Total Newb/Lurker to the site. LOVE it, so much info! LOVE the stickys for new owners, I'm going down the check list. I tried to put an avatar up of me and my car, but too many pixels. Need a teenager to help me figure that one out.

I scoured the sites looking for SES or O2 sensor problems, I'm sorry if I am posting a redundant thread. Just couldn't find any info on it.

Mary Anne

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chickabittie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chickabittie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chickabittie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 1996 SL2 service engine soon light

Obtain actual numeric code number from the parts store not their interpretation of your problem. No way to determine the problem without the number.

What brand and type of O2 sensor did you install?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

As OldNuc stated, get the code and post here so that it can be independently confirmed. I like Autozone, but it doesn't hurt to have another eye looking.

My 02 sensor was replaced and code reset and never returned. It is also possible that the new 02 sensor is defective - it does happen. It may have come with a warranty.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Chickabittie

1996 SL2
1995 SL2

Thank you for the quick response.

I just realized I have my receipts, the code on the print out is: P0137, with an H02S12 under that. I bought a Bosch O2 sensor, it has a 1 year warranty. I wouldn't mind replacing it, I'm sure it wouldn't be so hard to get off the 2nd time around. Any more sage advice?

Mary Anne

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chickabittie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

They sold you a O2 sensor that was installed into the exhaust manifold under the hood?

P0137 HO2S circuit low voltage - Sensor 2. That is the O2 sensor behind the CAT under the car. They sold you the wrong part if you bought a front (Sensor 1) O2 sensor.

The problem is probably a dirty/oxidized ground for the heater circuit in the sensor or the sensor has actually died. It is far from easy to remove from the exhaust.

The grounds are located on the back of the block, above the starter just under the #4 intake port. You can see and reach them by removing the air intake off of the throttle body. The bolt is 10mm wrench and the 2 ring terminals are easily clean ed up with a damp green kitchen sponge/scrubber. Do not drop the bolt! Also scrub up the attaching point on the block.

Remove the PCM B fuse located in the UHJB(under hood fuse box) for a couple of minutes to clear the code. The location diagram is in the cover.

Then if the code comes back there are a couple more things to try.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Chickabittie

1996 SL2
1995 SL2

Hi OldNuc-

Yeah, they told me it was the front sensor, not the back sensor, so sold me the part for the front that goes in the manifold, under the hood. A bear to get out. I guess if they misdiagnosed it and sold me the wrong part, it stands to reason that the problem is not resolved and the other sensor is bad. I don't know if I can replace that one myself. I even took my part back, questioned them if they sold me the right one, because it looked different from the one I took out. I think the one they sold me was longer, but thought that things changed in 15 years. They said it was the right part, so I put it in. Well, crap!

My husband has to take the car this weekend for a 2 1/2 hr road trip each way. I just came back from the same road trip. (sick family member.) Is this damaging to the car, if i can't get it repaired ASAP?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

No, you can drive with that code as there is no control function from the rear O2 sensor.

If the number is correct the code is low heater voltage on the rear sensor. I would have a heart to heart chat with the manager.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Remember, the rear sensor may still be perfectly good and only the ground is dirty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Chickabittie

1996 SL2
1995 SL2

Thank you so much for your sage advice! I truly appreciate it. Thanks for all the detailed info on cleaning the contacts, I will do that myself. A friend at Jiffy Lube said he can run the code for me, and we'll go from there. I don't trust the guys at Autozone now, and If they told me the wrong thing, I will have to have a talk with the manager. Wish me luck, I am only 5' 3" and not too intimidating.

Mary Anne

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Be sure to get the number of the code. many code readers provide incorrect descriptions for the code number. The number will be correct and Saturn is different than the generic GM of the 90s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
rowdydog
Advanced Member
rowdydog has a spectacular aura aboutrowdydog has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line

had same thing on my '01 coupe, only high voltage, Tech 2 scanner showed that the sensor was stuck at about 1100 wasn't fluctuating like it should, only time it would set was high speeds, 65+, rans fine but fixed it anyway, friend had one on a wrecked 99

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rowdydog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rowdydog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rowdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, with O2 sensors you do have to look at actual switching performance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!