SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance

Old 04-24-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
myoung
Advanced Member
myoung is on a distinguished road

Default Door Panel Cloth

This was my project last weekend, and I've been meaning to post about it all week. Just lazy.

I replaced the cloth that is on the inner door panel and replaced it, because mine was extremely gross and disgusting and many other words that imply not being clean, in addition to having cigarette burns from the previous owner. I think it turned out very nice.

I used orange felt, because I walked into the fabric store without a clue what I wanted, or what fabric to use. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over time. If it doesn't hold up, I think I could do the job in under two hours now, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

Next up is the headliner, which will probably stay tan. I can't wait to do it, because every plastic piece on the inside is disgustingly grimey and dirty and they're all going to be scrubbed hardcore.

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #2
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Door Panel Cloth

I did the same thing except I used tan automotive carpet.

I used 3m spray adhesive.

I also removed the door skin completely, melted the retaining pins and totally removed that plasitc insert. I covered them and re-installed them with self tapping screws.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
getz999
getz999 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

very sleek.....i think i have an idea now ..ha, what kinda fabric did you use?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
myoung
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaturnKid
I did the same thing except I used tan automotive carpet.

I used 3m spray adhesive.

I also removed the door skin completely, melted the retaining pins and totally removed that plasitc insert. I covered them and re-installed them with self tapping screws.
I used the 3m adhesive too, had some lying around from a past headliner job. I didn't melt the plastic off, just kind of popped them, and then used the self tapping screws into what was left of the plastic, which was most of it in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz999
very sleek.....i think i have an idea now ..ha, what kinda fabric did you use?
I used felt. It only took 3/8 of a yard. I imagine you could use just about any fabric and it'd work.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
lilcraigford
lilcraigford is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

That looks really nice! Did yuo just adhere the new fabric over the old stuff? I have the intention of recovering my door inserts with black vinyl (to match the black leather seats) but I haven't really pursued anything yet.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:25 PM   #6
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Somewhere in my gallery are pics of my old 1997 SL2 that I had redone in black leather with black panels on the door inserts. I also removed the door panels and such - royal PIA. Used epoxy to reattach them and 3M spray adhesive to get the black stuff to stick to the panels. The only problem with the 3M stuff is you only get one shot - no room for error.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #7
myoung
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcraigford
That looks really nice! Did yuo just adhere the new fabric over the old stuff? I have the intention of recovering my door inserts with black vinyl (to match the black leather seats) but I haven't really pursued anything yet.
No, you have to remove the old fabric. You don't have to remove the old glue, but the fabric has to go. It just peeled off for me, it required a little force in places, but not too much.

Piney- I don't know why, but the 3M has been forgiving to me. If the fabric wasn't right, we could pull it back off with no problem and get it where it needed to be. Maybe it was because I was using felt? Everyone else seems to have massive problems with the one-and-done thing, but it definitely wasn't like that for me.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
BlackNRedIon
BlackNRedIon is on a distinguished road

Looks great! But the orange not that its that bad or anything it just kind of reminds me of shirbirt icecream... on tan leather seats... lol
Old 04-25-2005, 11:29 AM   #9
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNRedIon
Looks great! But the orange not that its that bad or anything it just kind of reminds me of shirbirt icecream... on tan leather seats... lol
Very clean job, but I don't like the orange either.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:34 PM   #10
micronrb
micronrb is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

The job looks great, not sure about the color. I'm going to do the inserts and the headliner tonight. Thanks for the idea about felt. I was going to use tan vinyl.
'96 SL2
Old 04-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
myoung
Advanced Member

Thanks for the compliments.

I do have a question though, just because I'm interested to see. What color would you have used instead of orange? I'm happy with my decision, just curious to see the tastes of other members.

Personally I was considering brown or blue instead of the orange. Brown and tan go together, it just comes off as kind of bland. That's why I wear that, and not put it on my car. And I guess it was just a very spring-mood type of thing to do, picking orange over blue.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #12
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Nice job! I know I'm going with the crowd here but I also think that orange is a little I would have gone with the blue for two reasons.
1) My favorite color
2) Your seat covers are blue
But it's your car and it's a nice job so if you're happy with it then more power to you.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #13
ScurriVision
ScurriVision is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 SW2

Sweet job on adding a, "new feel" to a nicely used panel. It's funny I should come across this post. I just removed my front interior panels to repair the plastic moulding (used Epoxy - great stuff). I was looking at my grimey-grey cloth inserts... and thinking... hummm... should I redo the cloth?? After seeing your pics, I'll redo the cloth... darn, I have 4-doors...

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-29-2005, 05:49 PM   #14
getz999
getz999 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2001 SC2

To respond to your question about what color we woulda used...it depends on the rest of your interior...if you had a black dash, black inserts woulda looked nice. If you have orange accents throughout the interior of your car, then the orange matches. It actually matches the beige IMO. I like it. I was gonna do blue inserts since i have blue accents throughout my interior, but i just decided to do the door handles blue and leave the cloth inserts alone....nicely done btw

Side Note: Does anyone know what kinda fabric is used on the door panel for the GTO's? My stepdad has one and it feels kinda velvety but not really...lol