saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 08-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Advice post accident

Hi All. Was in an accident yesterday. I'm fine as is the driver and only occupant of the other vehicle. However the Vue took the brunt of the damage on the rear passenger side wheel assembly. I have pretty solid insurance on the car so it's in the body shop now and I'm waiting on a quote but given it's an 06 with around 130k I'm not sure what to expect. I'm trying to get pics to show, but it will likely need a new bumper, quarter panel, and suspension work at minimum. Assuming it's totaled what would you do? It's never been my favorite vehicle even though it was incredibly reliable. Just bought a newer Honda Pilot a few months ago so I'm not swimming in funds.
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: Advice post accident

I'm assuming its AWD and not a Redline. You should be getting a check for at least $5,000 less your deductible if it was your fault. You would never be able to get that much for it selling it after the accident. Take the payout and buy something you want or put it in the bank.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
I'm assuming its AWD and not a Redline. You should be getting a check for at least $5,000 less your deductible if it was your fault. You would never be able to get that much for it selling it after the accident. Take the payout and buy something you want or put it in the bank.
For better or worse not AWD, and no not Redline. I got the quote back from the body shop and now I wait to hear from insurance.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

LotusLord- any outcome for you on this yet? Do you care to share?

I ask because I am in a very similar situation- my son's minor fender bender (an encounter with a light pole) turned into a major stressor, and now our VUE is on the verge of being totaled, and I'm waiting to hear.

So I am wondering what you did, if you learned anything that I might find useful or interesting.

Thanks-
John C
joshjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

You can always buy it back.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjani View Post
LotusLord- any outcome for you on this yet? Do you care to share?

I ask because I am in a very similar situation- my son's minor fender bender (an encounter with a light pole) turned into a major stressor, and now our VUE is on the verge of being totaled, and I'm waiting to hear.

So I am wondering what you did, if you learned anything that I might find useful or interesting.

Thanks-
John C
John- I'm shopping replacement rides. Repair quote came out right around the value of the vehicle so insurance totalled her out, sadly. Waiting on my payout of around 4k and currently driving a 2015 CR-V which we're borrowing from family since I don't have rental coverage and even if I did the rental I had was junk (2017 Hyundai Accent).

In my test driving I'm finding I really am struggling to find something I want to replace the Vue with. I'm undecided as to if AWD is really necessary, since I've been without for my whole driving life, but know it would have helped in a few instances last winter. My commute is primarily country roads.

So far I've driven the following. A 2014 GMC Terrain which was ok but felt a little under powered with the 4 cylinder. A Buick Enclave which was very nice but likely too large a vehicle since we don't have any kids and we also have a similarly sized Honda Pilot and was also not AWD (I think it was new to the lot and the sales guy assumed it was). A Lexus RX 350 which was shockingly low tech in the audio system department (no aux port even as far as I could tell) and felt a little small in terms of trunk space. Two VW Jetta TDI (one sedan and one wagon) which were decent and fun but limited in practicality since my wife doesn't drive stick and she would at least occasionally need to drive it. A 2015 Honda Accord which was really nice (basically loaded) but higher mileage than I'd really like.

I'm actively looking for Ridgelines, Pilots (I know I already said probably too large but I feel more comfortable potentially using one like I did the Vue to transport dirt, mulch etc). Also considering VW Tiguan, Audis of various size with AWD, and pickups of various make and model.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #7
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I didn't really want to hijack your thread, so I'm glad you posted again! I, too, had the 2006 VUE totaled. Evidently there was a wrinkle in the drivers side frame rail that could not be repaired. I was really stressed out, expecting a low-ball figure, but we got back from insurance more than we paid for it. We wound up buying our son a Scion XA, much smaller and easier for him to maneuver. I sympathize with the difficulty of finding something to replace the VUE. I had a sub-$4k budget, and I drove older Cherokees, Hyundai Tucsons, and Ford Escapes. I just couldn't find something I liked better/as much as my Saturn. So I'm keeping my beloved 2005 VUE, my son's got something that suits him, and all's well that ends well.
joshjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

I ended up buying a 2011 Honda Ridgeline. Fuel economy isn't as good but it's a decent truck and meets my needs.