SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
Zekesmd
Zekesmd is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 Sl1 stalls when depressing the clutch

I am new to the forum but would appreciate some help. My nephew has the above mentioned car. He was driving it several weeks ago when he heard a "bang" followed by a stall. He was unable to get the car started and assumed it was a blown engine. After looking into it some more he was able to get it running, I think by bypassing the clutch switch, so that he can start it without depressing the clutch. The issue now is that when ever he pushes the clutch in the vehicle immediately stalls. Any ideas for me? Is this a clutch problem? A hydrolic switch issue? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zekesmd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zekesmd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zekesmd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
54packman
54packman will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2
2000 SC2
Default Re: 2000 Sl1 stalls when depressing the clutch

Sound like you have some major problems with the clutch, like the clutch fork has broken, or the pressure plate has shattered, would remove the slave cylinder from the transmission, and see if you can look inside with an inspection camera and see what's gone wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 54packman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 54packman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
54packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

I have a totally different theory on this one. The clutch safety switch interrupts only the electrical signal to the starter motor, not the ignition or fuel pump IIRC, so it has no way to kill the engine, whether connected or bypassed.

When the clutch pedal is pressed, a high end load is put on the crankshaft. When crank bearings are in good condition, this is not a problem. But, OP mentions a bang before the car died. Could a broken thrust bearing be the cause? Easy check would be to tap or pry the crank pulley, pushing it into the engine, then watch the crank pulley while an assistant pushes the clutch. Engine does not need to be running. If you can see the crank pulley pop out of the engine toward the passenger front wheel when the clutch is pushed, engine is likely shot.

Can you describe better how the engine dies when the clutch is pushed? Does it stop immediately, sputter out, make any odd noises?

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Improper clutch use in the Saturn engine has been known to completely kill the thrust bearing. When I took my engine apart thrust clearance was something on the order or .040-.050" and the bearing surface was gone. At that point the crank hadn't begun to eat anything, but it was close and eventually would've. Checking thrust clearance is as simple as removing the passenger wheel so I would start there. A dial indicator makes this much more accurate, but you will be able to feel actual crankwalk by hand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 PM   #5
Zekesmd
Zekesmd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
I have a totally different theory on this one. The clutch safety switch interrupts only the electrical signal to the starter motor, not the ignition or fuel pump IIRC, so it has no way to kill the engine, whether connected or bypassed.

When the clutch pedal is pressed, a high end load is put on the crankshaft. When crank bearings are in good condition, this is not a problem. But, OP mentions a bang before the car died. Could a broken thrust bearing be the cause? Easy check would be to tap or pry the crank pulley, pushing it into the engine, then watch the crank pulley while an assistant pushes the clutch. Engine does not need to be running. If you can see the crank pulley pop out of the engine toward the passenger front wheel when the clutch is pushed, engine is likely shot.

Can you describe better how the engine dies when the clutch is pushed? Does it stop immediately, sputter out, make any odd noises?
Engine locks up immediately when the clutch is pushed.
I will have them try your diagnostic with the crank pulley.
Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zekesmd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zekesmd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zekesmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:50 AM   #6
bobbyrae
bobbyrae has a spectacular aura aboutbobbyrae has a spectacular aura about

1993 SL2
Question Re: 2000 Sl1 stalls when depressing the clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekesmd View Post
Engine locks up immediately when the clutch is pushed.
I will have them try your diagnostic with the crank pulley.
Thank you
Wait a minute! You say it "locks up"? it immediately stops turning? NOT like when you turn the ignition off where it coasts a little with no ignition. If this is true, then it DOES sound like a mechanical clutch failure issue. And it shouldn't be operated again until repaired.

Bobby Rae
Alameda, CA
1993 SL2 A/T, 80k miles, 22/33/43 mpg
1982 Accord 5-speed, 303k miles, 23/32/40 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobbyrae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobbyrae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote