SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 08-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
pisulino
pisulino is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Saturn Vue - Now available

Have been at the Saturn dealership here in Toronto and have seen several 2007's already. Fully identical to the 2006.

I will only consider this model only if the prices are reduced.

This considering that Saturn is not expending any money on improvements for this 2007 model, and other manufacturers keep on adding more features for the same price.

Being frustrated lately with Saturn "no negotiable" (if you don't want to negotiate then don't called MSRP, since Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price indicates exactly that......"suggested"...meaning it's not the final sale price.....) prices and crook dealerships decided to look out for options and found the Suzuki GV that has an impressive amount of standard features available at the same price than the VUE 2006 V6 Base Model.

Suzuki Grand Vitara – Standard Features for top of the line model. (22 -24K $US - 39-30 $CAN)

Power Steering
Power windows
Power door locks
Remote keyless entry with panic function
SmartPass™ keyless entry and start system
Climate control air conditioning
Micron air filter
AM/FM/6 CD/MP3 changer (6 speakers w/subwoofer)
Steering wheel mounted audio controls
XM satellite radio ready
Cruise control
Power glass sunroof with tilt and slide feature

INSTRUMENT PANEL
Tachometer
Digital clock
Outside temperature display
Instantaneous fuel consumption displayLight-off/key reminder
Low fuel warning indicator
Steering lock
Leather-wrapped steering wheel
Tilt steering

INTERIOR
Centre cabin light with fade-out (3 positions)
Rear cabin light (3 positions)
Front map lights
Rear cargo light (2 positions)
Front-door courtesy lights
Floor mats
Seat Material: Leather
Heated front seats
HomeLink* System
Sun visors
Vanity mirrors
Cup holders (2 front/2 rear)
Bottle holders (2 in front doors)
Day/night rear-view mirror
Reclining seats (front & rear)
Height-adjustable driver's seat
Split-folding rear seatbacks (60/40)
Front/rear head restraints—(2/3)
Sliding covered front seat centre armrest with storage compartment
Front & rear-door armrests
4 assist grips (Front: 2/Rear: 2)
Front & rear-door pockets
Front seatback pockets
Utility pocket in cargo area
Overhead console N/A
Accessory power outlets (2)
Front & rear ashtrays
Cargo-area cover
Cargo-area convenience hooks (4)
2 coat hooks
Driver's footrest

EXTERIOR
Halogen headlights (multi-reflector)
Automatic headlights (on/off)
Privacy glass
Power mirrors (Heated)
Variable intermittent wipers
Rear-window wiper/washer with fixed intermittent
Rear-window defroster
Body-coloured bumpers/mirrors/door handles
Fog lamps
Roof rails
Aluminum wheels (17 Inch)
Hard spare tire case

SAFETY & SECURITY

Engine block heater
Full-Time 4WD (4H)
4 Mode 4WD (4H, 4H LOCK, 4L LOCK, Neutral)
Centre Differential LSD (Limited Slip Differential)
Dual front airbags
Front-side airbags
Side-curtain airbags
ABS with EBD (electronic brake force distribution)
Centre high-mounted rear stop lamp
Brake assist
ESP** (Electronic Stability Program) with traction control
3-point ELR seat belts (all 5 seating positions)
Height-adjustable front seat belt anchors
ISO-FIX childseat restraint system
Childseat tether anchorage
Child-proof rear door locks
Side impact beams

Additional stuff.

1) The 2.0 (J20A) engine and the 2.7 V6 has a variable induction system that shortens the length of the air intake at higher rpms.

2) The GV was designed with near 50:50 weight distribution to improve handling.

3) Both the 2.0 and 2.7 have a fly-by-wire throttle to improve the response. This means the accelerator pedal is not linked to the engine with a cable.
pisulino is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
Tallboy
Tallboy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 Saturn Vue - Now available

Drive by wire does NOT improve throttle response. The exact OPPOSITE happens. [Driven one yet?]

The Suzuki is better? Go buy one. Have fun dealing with Suzuki parts and service. I know. I used to run the back end of a Suzuki dealership.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisulino
the Suzuki GV that has an impressive amount of standard features available at the same price than the VUE 2006 V6 Base Model..
Yup, I love my VUE but if I were in the market for a small SUV the Grand Vitara would be hard to pass up. The one deciding factor may be gas mileage though. I certainly wouldn't buy anything these days that gets less than 20 mpg in the city....that just plain irresponsible IMO.
//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed
SLAPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT
Yup, I love my VUE but if I were in the market for a small SUV the Grand Vitara would be hard to pass up. The one deciding factor may be gas mileage though. I certainly wouldn't buy anything these days that gets less than 20 mpg in the city....that just plain irresponsible IMO.
I wonder what the crash test scores are like on the Suzuki...hmmmmm.....
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Wait. A 2.0L engine? Is that a 2.0 I4? In the US we only get the Grand Vitara with the 2.7L V6. What are the power numbers for the 2.0L?

I like the Grand Vitara...and it also makes a nice small SUV for anyone who missed out on the design of the 2001-05 Toyota RAV4. (IMO, the GV looks like a refreshed 01-05 RAV4 with some more creased/edged lines.)
"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #6
pisulino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
Drive by wire does NOT improve throttle response. The exact OPPOSITE happens. [Driven one yet?]

The Suzuki is better? Go buy one. Have fun dealing with Suzuki parts and service. I know. I used to run the back end of a Suzuki dealership.
Tallboy,
Never said Suzuki is better.....I said lots of more standard features for the same coin are being offered.
As for going to buy one...well that needs further research. However, I think we should be open minded and see things as they are. (just trying to share my opinion)
My point and please read, is that the VUE is a decent vehicle.
Now, in no way this vehicle should maintain the same MSRP price considering that there is no R&D and/or further improvements for the 2007 model.
If Saturn decides to maintain the same price tag, then they can only justify it if they throw in the "now optional features" as standard (curtain air bags, sunroof, MP3 player, etc.

Just IMO.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
pisulino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
I wonder what the crash test scores are like on the Suzuki...hmmmmm.....

http://www.internetautoguide.com/cra...ara/index.html
Old 08-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Tallboy
Tallboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Tallboy,
Never said Suzuki is better.....I said lots of more standard features for the same coin are being offered.
As for going to buy one...well that needs further research. However, I think we should be open minded and see things as they are. (just trying to share my opinion)
My point and please read, is that the VUE is a decent vehicle.
Now, in no way this vehicle should maintain the same MSRP price considering that there is no R&D and/or further improvements for the 2007 model.
If Saturn decides to maintain the same price tag, then they can only justify it if they throw in the "now optional features" as standard (curtain air bags, sunroof, MP3 player, etc.

Just IMO.
And you're right about most of that. However, I think the Vue is still a great value. and I'll buy one next year.

I'm pretty jaded on Suzukis. Junk in a box IMO.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
lithous
lithous is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
How about the price of fuel goes up and so does the cost to produce and move parts to build the VUE (and any other vehicle).

Then there was one more thing, wait, oh, yeah, they had to R&D a $23K hybrid they are introducing in 2007 MY. My guess is a *ton* of R&D went into the hybrid. You may not be purchasing that but I wouldn't say that Saturn spent no time and money on anything VUE related for the 2007 MY, I mean, a $23K hybrid SUV is amost ground breaking.

If they hadn't changed a thing since 2002 and even with the hybrid it could be pretty shaky but the 2006 changes makes for a different vehicle. People who would not have purchased the 2005 back because of interior for instance have no problem buying the 2006. I realize that doesn't mean much for 2007 but it shows that the last couple years GM has kept up with the VUE in one way or another when you think of the interior last year and hybrid this year. Then in 2008 it will be all new, right?
lithous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Advantages to the GV are the Design, standard safety equipment (ESC, side torso and curtain airbags) and the fact is has 4 Lo.

Disadvantages are; poor fuel economy, V6 engine is fairly weak. The VUE V6 is like a Top Fuel dragster in comparison. The 2.7L V6 in the GV feels weaker than the CR-V 4.
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
I think it depends on what other cars are sold there. There are 3 Suzuki dealers near me. One sells VW/Audis, very professional. It's weird seeing a cheap car like the Forenza displayed so nicely. Another sells Subarus- I don't think they care about the Suzukis but it's a pretty nice dealer. They used to sell Mazdas but gave up, they actually put a full page ad in the paper telling everyone how rotten Mazda's service was. The Suzuki dealer closest to me also sells Mitsubishi (yikes ) and Chrysler. They seem like scumbags to me.
Member of the Crank Window Club
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #12
pisulino

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithous
How about the price of fuel goes up and so does the cost to produce and move parts to build the VUE (and any other vehicle).

Then there was one more thing, wait, oh, yeah, they had to R&D a $23K hybrid they are introducing in 2007 MY. My guess is a *ton* of R&D went into the hybrid. You may not be purchasing that but I wouldn't say that Saturn spent no time and money on anything VUE related for the 2007 MY, I mean, a $23K hybrid SUV is amost ground breaking.

If they hadn't changed a thing since 2002 and even with the hybrid it could be pretty shaky but the 2006 changes makes for a different vehicle. People who would not have purchased the 2005 back because of interior for instance have no problem buying the 2006. I realize that doesn't mean much for 2007 but it shows that the last couple years GM has kept up with the VUE in one way or another when you think of the interior last year and hybrid this year. Then in 2008 it will be all new, right?

I am just making reference to the regular VUE V6 not the hybrid.
The 2007 model has nothing..I mean nothing different than the 2006 and it's the last model before a total revamp.
That's my point with regards to this thread
Old 08-10-2006, 12:51 AM   #13
mr_mike
mr_mike is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Saturn as a corporation has built themselves on the no pressure, no haggle policies pricing policy. That's the way it's been since '91. I personally prefer this to having the MSRP inflated 2-3k more so that I could get a little of it back in negotiations, while later finding out that someone else got it for a few hundred or thousand less.

Additionally, you say that no R&D was spent for '07. I dn't buy that. The R&D money was pulled forward for the '06 model. There were enough changes that they could have spread them out over a few years, but the put them all into the '06, then lowered the sticker price. And not but just a few dollars either.

Say what you want. Saturn sells at MSRP, and you'll be hard pressed to find as good a value. If you are so turned off by they way Saturn does business, you might as well shop elsewhere, as no matter what, you won't be happy with your purchase.

Mike
mr_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 AM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Suzuki worked with Saturn engineering the Theta chassis in 2002. The GV is Suzuki's first use of the Theta chassis. It's been heavily modified to meet their goals and needs. The whole overall vehicle shape reminds me of the VUE.

Don't flame Saturn's business model. It's worked well for over 15 years. If you don't like it buy something else.

Saturn is constantly working on improving their product and won't wait for a model year to end to implement the changes. IMO the 2007's do have improvement over the 2006's.
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:19 AM   #15
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

I agree, in part, with Pisulino...also have to agree that perhaps (?) they carried forward the R&D costs when they made the 06.....however, if your going to offer the identical vehicle from one year to the next, wouldn't you expect a discount of sorts? From a consumer's point of view (I could care less what problems Saturn has, will have or might have), all I care about is getting a good deal (period). I'm trying to think of something other than cars that would sell year-after-year being identical (large value item), and sell at the same price.... The consumer expects a deal. I don't think the philosophy of Saturn is being attacked here, just the logic of selling the identical vehicle at the same price. You'd think they would have improved efficiences of scale... Anyway, I am happy with my 06, and in a sick way, glad they didn't change it (bodes well for resale value...not that I plan to sell). cheers.
m
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #16
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

The Grand Vitara isn't exactly on Theta. According to Wikicars...

Quote:
The Grand Vitara was replaced in the fall of 2005 by a new vehicle using some components of the GM Theta platform, and is built in Japan. The 2006 Grand Vitara was developed independently by many of the same Suzuki engineers who developed the Theta. Although it uses some Theta componentry, especially in the suspension, it is quite different and should not be considered a Theta vehicle. Notably, it uses a longitudinally-mounted engine and is rear-wheel drive with a 103.9 in (2639 mm) wheelbase, while all other Theta vehicles are transverse engined with front-wheel drive as the default. All can also be ordered with all-wheel drive as well, however. The forthcoming Suzuki XL7 will be a true Theta vehicle, and will be built alongside the Equinox and Torrent at CAMI Automotive in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada. The 2001 model Suzuki Grand Vitara comes standard as a 2.0 Liter 4WD vehicle in New Zealand.
http://wikicars.org/en/Suzuki_Grand_Vitara

As for the discount on the 2007 VUE, I disagree. There are different ways to sell a car, and this is Saturn's way. '07s just came out too, and as with any new car model year it's not going to be discounted much if at all when it first arrives. Plus, why spend much money updating it after it just had a facelift and a new model comes out for the next model year? Hardly any car drops in price when there isn't a large amount of changes from one year to the next. It's not unusual for a car to increase in price during the model year. Saturn dropped the price and facelifted the VUE in 2006, so they wouldn't have to discount and do rebates.
"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #17
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
The 2007 model has nothing..I mean nothing different than the 2006 and it's the last model before a total revamp.
That's my point with regards to this thread
Cars go years without changes... Honda restyled the Accord in 1998 and it had virtually no changes through 2002. And I bet they raised the price every year.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #18
SLAPSHOT
Advanced Member
SLAPSHOT is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
Cars go years without changes... Honda restyled the Accord in 1998 and it had virtually no changes through 2002. And I bet they raised the price every year.
What changes were made to the VUE from 2002 thru 2005? Here are acouple off the top of my head:

Dropped the 3.0 V6 and went with the Honda 3.5
White guage faces with chrome bezel trim
Dropped the VTi transmission

The few I just named all happened in 2004, right? The next "update" was in 2006 with the facelift on the front end and major interior upgrades. The next scheduled "update" (as far as we know) is in 2008, right? Looks like a 2 year cycle to me.
//SLAPSHOT//
05 VUE 2.2L 5 Speed
SLAPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #19
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

... what's the big deal with the drive by wire throttle?

The VUE has had DBW since day 1 (back in 2002). Look at the 2002 Grand Vitara... nope.

~D.J.~
2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #20
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

From what I understand..Drive by Wire helps with emissions and fuel economy for some strange reason..I'm guessing it has something to do with the computer not exactly being linear with fuel application and not adding extra fuel when the motor won't burn it
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote