SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 07-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
Mark@Saturn
Mark@Saturn is on a distinguished road

Default Astra Redline

Seems to me, that since the Opel Astra will replace the Saturn ION (well, they're already on the same Delta platform with ION, Cobalt, HHR, but are fairly dissimilar cars), one can conclude that there will eventually be a Redline and probably a Greenline version for Saturn.

It also seems to me that the name Astra will stick, since it fits well with Saturn's naming conventions, and the car is produced throughout Europe and Australasia variously as the Opel Astra, Vauxhall Astra, Holden Astra, and in Asia, even a Chevrolet Astra. So, the name will probably stay.

Opel produced a turbo version for a time in the 1990's, but currently there is no "sporty" version of the Astra made anywhere as far as I know.

So, given GM's current desire to keep costs down, my guess is a Redline version would use an already available off-the-shelf drivetrain. Putting the 2.0L LSJ Supercharged engine in it would be a natural fit. It would have lots of pep, but not as much as Saturn's halo car, SKY.
http://markwalt.googlepages.com/home
Mark@Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
jegster
jegster is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: Astra Redline

Opel currently makes an Astra OPC (Opel Performance Center) that has the 2.0 turbocharged engine in it that I hope makes it over here as a Redline version.

You can see pics here of it. http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/astra_opc.asp
Jeff
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jegstersl2
jegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Mark@Saturn
Mark@Saturn is on a distinguished road

Ah, thanks Jegster. I was looking for a sporty Astra and couldn't find one.

That one doesn't look as good as an ION QC Redline though
http://markwalt.googlepages.com/home
Mark@Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Looks a lot less awkward and bulgy than the Redline.
2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

It looks like a VW
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Superman
Superman is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 ION-2 Sedan

I don't know if they'll keep the Astra name that long though...The Opel GT is literally a re-badged SKY, but they aren't keeping the SKY name. I think the Saturn Astra will only be for when Saturn actually imports the Astra. I'd expect to see a new name whenever we get the new ION replacement in '09-ish. Maybe they'll pull Evoke back out of the hat. That would make a nice sedan/sports coupe name.

Yeah, I don't think the Astra OPC looks as good as the RL either, but, I still think it looks good. Plus it runs 240 hp instead of the IRL's 200, which would be a nice jump, without pushing it past the SKY RL. 240 would be just enough to put it into the playing field with the base SRT-4.

If they offer the Astra as a RL model in orange, I'll be first in line to get one.
- Aaron

'04 ION RedLine (Electric Blue)
'94 SL1 (Gold, sold)
STC-FL
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:51 AM   #7
Crystallas
Crystallas is on a distinguished road

The interior looks great.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Great looking car...............The pictures have been around for about two years and the talk of Opel/Vauxhall/Holden/Saturn sharing has been heard for about three years. The name EVOKE or ASTRA are two names that have been around for a couple of years for the ION replacement. You'll find the ASTRA is built as a 3dr Hatch as in the picture above. A 4 door Hatch and a WAGON. It's also built as a 2 door and is called a TwinTop. Meaning hard and a soft convertible. I have seen pictures of a 4dr SEDAN ASTRA but have beeen unable to find them as of late. Just go to OPEL.com and you can see what SATURNS ION replacement will look like. If SATURN gets 1-2-3-or more versions is yet to be seen.
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #9
syphrus
syphrus is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I hope the Astra Redline is the one that can do 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. Is the 2.0 ecotec engine from the 2006 Astra OPC the same as the Saturn Redline's LSJ 2.0?
syphrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
mytdawg
mytdawg is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphrus
I hope the Astra Redline is the one that can do 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. Is the 2.0 ecotec engine from the 2006 Astra OPC the same as the Saturn Redline's LSJ 2.0?
The Red Line LSJ motor is assembled in Germany so one could speculate that it's the same basic engine or at least there's a very good chance.
mytdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #11
Superman

2004 ION Red Line
2003 ION-2 Sedan

As stated above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegster
Opel currently makes an Astra OPC (Opel Performance Center) that has the 2.0 turbocharged engine in it
It's possible the internals themselves may be the same or similar, but the OPC is turbocharged, whereas the LSJ is supercharged. The OPC's 2.0 turbo also puts out 40 more HP than the LSJ.
- Aaron

'94 SL1 (Gold, sold)
STC-FL
Old 08-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
mytdawg
mytdawg is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman
As stated above:

It's possible the internals themselves may be the same or similar, but the OPC is turbocharged, whereas the LSJ is supercharged. The OPC's 2.0 turbo also puts out 40 more HP than the LSJ.
I was thinking bottom end. The turbocharged engine is direct injected also, I believe.
mytdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #13
Superman

2004 ION Red Line
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytdawg
I was thinking bottom end. The turbocharged engine is direct injected also, I believe.
Ya, I would guess a lot of the basic parts are the same. Don't know on the direct injection part. I thought the LNF in the SKY RL was GM's first DI turbo.
- Aaron

'94 SL1 (Gold, sold)
STC-FL
Old 08-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Ya, I would guess a lot of the basic parts are the same. Don't know on the direct injection part. I thought the LNF in the SKY RL was GM's first DI turbo.
The SKY RL isn't getting a new motor, it's getting a SAAB sourced powertrain. GM was supposedly sticking to S/C for FWD, and turbo for RWD. I didn't realize the Astra OPC was turboed.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
ECF
ECF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Opel produced a turbo version for a time in the 1990's, but currently there is no "sporty" version of the Astra made anywhere as far as I know.
Astra VXR:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/ca...?model_id=1431
ECF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #16
syphrus
syphrus is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Does 60 mph in 6.2 seconds with a top speed of 152 mph, yet gets 30 mpg. Will this version come out around 2008, or late 2007...

If the Saturn Astra Redline comes supercharged, will that mess with the car's powerband and gear shift set-up?
syphrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #17
Superman

2004 ION Red Line
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphrus
Does 60 mph in 6.2 seconds with a top speed of 152 mph, yet gets 30 mpg. Will this version come out around 2008, or late 2007...

If the Saturn Astra Redline comes supercharged, will that mess with the car's powerband and gear shift set-up?
There's no word for sure whether it will come out at all. Just speculation for now. All we know is that in 2008 (probably next summer, maybe spring) Saturn will begin bringing the Astra over from Europe. Whether they'll bring just the base model, or all the trim levels, hasn't been announced yet. So, we're hoping they'll bring over the OPC (Redline) version as well.

If they are strictly importing it from Europe, I would assume it will have the 240hp turbo in it. Unless Opel changes it for 2008. However, I wouldn't expect them to drop back down to the 200hp S/C engine that's in the ION Redline, as that would be a fairly decent drop in power.

Actually, the IRL gets about 29 mpg on the highway too.
- Aaron

'94 SL1 (Gold, sold)
STC-FL
Old 08-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #18
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
There's no word for sure whether it will come out at all. Just speculation for now. All we know is that in 2008 (probably next summer, maybe spring) Saturn will begin bringing the Astra over from Europe. Whether they'll bring just the base model, or all the trim levels, hasn't been announced yet. So, we're hoping they'll bring over the OPC (Redline) version as well.

If they are strictly importing it from Europe, I would assume it will have the 240hp turbo in it. Unless Opel changes it for 2008. However, I wouldn't expect them to drop back down to the 200hp S/C engine that's in the ION Redline, as that would be a fairly decent drop in power.

Actually, the IRL gets about 29 mpg on the highway too.
The hp ratings will most likely go down. The European Ecotec's (at least the ones in the Astras) aren't exactly the same thing we have here, and the emissions aren't up to American requirments. Either they're going to have to seriously clean up the emissions on those engines to allow them to be sold here, which will cost horsepower, or they'll install the standard 2.2 Ecotec we have here and the 2.0SC from the Ion RL for an Astra RL. If we get one.

Belt driven camshafts, not chains.
"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #19
handyjoe
handyjoe is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69
The hp ratings will most likely go down. The European Ecotec's (at least the ones in the Astras) aren't exactly the same thing we have here, and the emissions aren't up to American requirments. Either they're going to have to seriously clean up the emissions on those engines to allow them to be sold here, which will cost horsepower, or they'll install the standard 2.2 Ecotec we have here and the 2.0SC from the Ion RL for an Astra RL. If we get one.

Belt driven camshafts, not chains.
Why not the 2.0L turbo via Sky Redline? I'm sure it could be easily adapted to FWD.
handyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #20
Superman

2004 ION Red Line
2003 ION-2 Sedan

There's actually an on-going discussion on the RLforums.com site about the possibility of the 2.0 turbo going in the next-gen ION Redline. I would definitely like to see that happen. I know a lot of people wanted the IRL to be turbo in the first place.

I guess it would sort of make sense for GM to just bring the Opel's over here without the engines in them, and then just drop in an engine when it arrives here. Although, that still requires a dedicated section of a plant somehwere. Who knows. Hopefully in the next few months we'll start hearing more about what '08 will bring.
- Aaron

'94 SL1 (Gold, sold)
STC-FL