saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line

Old 11-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
MarvC
MarvC is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 ION Red Line
Default Red Line any Issues??

My son is trading in his 2001 Camero SS for the Saturn Red Line with competition package and all the trimmings.
Are there any issues with the engine, tranny (he is getting the 5 speed) or any items regarding the car.
This will be a 2007, last year for the redline they have given him a fantastic price on the car, I just want to know if it will last in the long run.

Many thanks for the feedback.

MarvC
MarvC is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2
Default Re: Red Line any Issues??

No major issues with either the engine or the transmission after the 2004 model year, and those were computer issues.

If he takes it to the track and races every weekend, there could be issues sooner than expected, but it's fine as a daily driver and LOTS of fun to drive.
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

also have him or you check out www.redlinefourms.com for any questions this section is kinda dead because of that fourm and im sure they would be more than happy to help
VISIT MY CARDOMAIN --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259877
s256 turbo, vulcan intake, exedy clutch, 8.9:1, camed, eagle rods, 2.4 tb, B&G coilovers, patriot head, stage 2 axels 418whp 2.2 :)
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvC
My son is trading in his 2001 Camero SS for the Saturn Red Line with competition package and all the trimmings.
Are there any issues with the engine, tranny (he is getting the 5 speed) or any items regarding the car.
This will be a 2007, last year for the redline they have given him a fantastic price on the car, I just want to know if it will last in the long run.

Many thanks for the feedback.

MarvC
Camaro
C-a-m-a-r-o
your son may need to adjust to front-wheel-drive and power understeer instead of power oversteer with rear-wheel-drive keep both hands on the steering wheel for sure.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
MarvC

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
Camaro
C-a-m-a-r-o
your son may need to adjust to front-wheel-drive and power understeer instead of power oversteer with rear-wheel-drive keep both hands on the steering wheel for sure.
Yes,
Fat fingers early in the morning...Camaro..
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
synthkat
synthkat is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Definitely, I'd have him check out the redlineforums. It's where I've gotten most of my info about this car. I have an '04 RL with 18k miles on it and so far so good. I love driving this car.

I agree with Daver as well. It's only those that have taken this car frequently to the tracks which is when problems arise. I think it's mostly because of the tranny not being able to handle torque above 250 lbs. Apart from that the supercharged Ecotec is reliable.
- Synth
synthkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Eco-Mod
Eco-Mod is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2007 SKY

I wouldn't say that the problem is torque hadling capability, its the nature of how the large amounts of torque has been applied. There have been quite a few 300whp 300wtq RL's and 'Balts that have stood up fine, just needs the supporting mods. All in all the Red Lines have been very reliable when treated correctly, no major problems to speak of. I'll bet he'll love it! As others have said, check out RedLineForums.com. There are alot of great and knowledgable guys over there!
'06 Ion RedLine
Red Comp. Pkg.
Too Many Mods To List!
260+ whp 240+ wtq

'03 Ion 3 (Retired)
Eco-Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
MarvC

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 ION Red Line
Default Arrived Last Night

Well my Sons 2007 Red Line was in the driveway last night I believe it is Storm Gray, competition package and everything else you can imagine.
To me looking at it from the side looks like a funny car with a huge spoiler.
We have three Saturn's in the family I need to take a group photo I guess.
I have a 2007 Ion 2 which fits me great Polar White w/spoiler, 16" Flangless alloy wheels XM radio.
Wife a 2007 Vue 3.5L in Polar White, leather , DVD, enhanced Audio, the list goes on and on with the VUE.

He threw me the keys to the Red line so I drove it a few miles. The ride is a little stiff but sweet mother of acceleration does this thing go. The car is supercharged and has a boost gauge on the steering column which is cool.
I have to admit I would like to have a toy like this. It appears to be a solid built car and handles like a dream!
He is only 21 and I warned him about tickets he has done well with the Camaro SS so hopefully he will maintain an even keel with this one.
He works for Saturn in Arlington, Tx as a tech so he knows quite a bit about the car, I needed assurance about the car.
Saturn gave him a great price on the car with all the goodies!
I wish I had one of these when i was his age.
He is off to the Red Line Forum with a big smile on his face I may borrow the keys to the car this weekend

Thanks for all the information..

MarvC

Last edited by MarvC; 11-14-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #9
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2
Checkered Flag Re: Arrived Last Night

Quote:
To me looking at it from the side looks like a funny car with a huge spoiler.
It DOES take a little getting used to, but now I like how mine looks.

Quote:
The ride is a little stiff but sweet mother of acceleration does this thing go.
Just wait until he comes home one day with the Stage II kit installed on it!!!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #10
mytdawg
mytdawg is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

I've had no real problems with mine. I've got one of the early 2004's and it's been great so far. It occasionally does the sputter thing while being stored. Average gas mileage went from 21 when new to around 25 now (roughly 14,000 miles). The powerband has a few peaks and valleys but the stage 2 kit ironed a lot of them out (although it still surges under hard acceleration).

I've learned how to modulate the clutch to minimize hop but the LSD would be awesome. I still think the first to second gear change is awkward but second, third, and fourth under hard acceleration is about as impressive as I've seen in a normal street car. You need a long stretch with no cops to do it.

I tend to think of it more as a GT than a sport compact or hot rod. It's simple, clean, and fairly efficient. Not a lot of fluff, I hate fluff. I don't need a tv screen in my dash telling me where to go. I don't like cars that are smarter than I am. But I'm probably not your typical 40-something either. I think I'm regressing...
mytdawg is offline   Reply With Quote