SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #1
raverMJK
Junior Member
raverMJK is on a distinguished road
 
raverMJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17
Attention Rough idle.

Car Specs:
2004 ion 2
Manual
75000 km
Sport Exhaust
Cold Air Intake

When I purchased the vehicle from the dealership, the above mentioned was already installed on the car. During the first 30000km that i owned the car it would idle extremely smooth with a nice hum from the exhaust . No sputterring sounds . At around 30000km I started noticing that the hum was slowly turning into short little sputters when idling. It has gotten to the point now where that is all that the car does when it is warm and idling warm...sputter...hum.......sputer....sputter...hum . When the car is cold it sounds as good as day 1 with no sputters. I have always been good on maintenance (oil changes, keeping air filter clean) and do drive the car fairly easy (No drags, or street races). What other kind of maintenance should I perform to smooth out the idling? Maybe the plugs? Or does this just come with age?

Thanks,

- raverMJK
raverMJK is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
synthkat
Member
synthkat is on a distinguished road
 
synthkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hawthorne, CA
Posts: 145

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rough idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raverMJK
Car Specs:
2004 ion 2
Manual
75000 km
Sport Exhaust
Cold Air Intake

When I purchased the vehicle from the dealership, the above mentioned was already installed on the car. During the first 30000km that i owned the car it would idle extremely smooth with a nice hum from the exhaust . No sputterring sounds . At around 30000km I started noticing that the hum was slowly turning into short little sputters when idling. It has gotten to the point now where that is all that the car does when it is warm and idling warm...sputter...hum.......sputer....sputter...hum . When the car is cold it sounds as good as day 1 with no sputters. I have always been good on maintenance (oil changes, keeping air filter clean) and do drive the car fairly easy (No drags, or street races). What other kind of maintenance should I perform to smooth out the idling? Maybe the plugs? Or does this just come with age?

Thanks,

- raverMJK
Try cleaning the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner also make sure the IAT sensor that's on the CAI is not dirty. That can be cleaned with those electrical cleaners. Checking your plugs wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

I had an '04 Ion Auto with the AEM CAI, when warm it would do a very short sputter-like motion, but that was just the exhaust after it's gotten warm causing the sputters. You should hear the noises the LSJ engine makes in a Redline, I thought I had bought a lemon at first since I had never had a car with a supercharger before. That blender sounds while idle made me think my engine was destroying itself.
...
- Synth
synthkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
raverMJK
Junior Member
raverMJK is on a distinguished road
 
raverMJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Rough idle.

Thanks for the advice. Are these things that I can perform as a novice with a manual or should I take the car into a garage?

- raverMJK
raverMJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
synthkat
Member
synthkat is on a distinguished road
 
synthkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hawthorne, CA
Posts: 145

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rough idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raverMJK
Thanks for the advice. Are these things that I can perform as a novice with a manual or should I take the car into a garage?

- raverMJK
I'm definitely a novice and I'm pretty sure you won't damage the car in anyway byt doing this. Just be careful not to let anything get inside of the throttle body. You can clean it without taking it out.
...
- Synth
synthkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
raverMJK
Junior Member
raverMJK is on a distinguished road
 
raverMJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Rough idle.

Do you know of any good online manuals that show how to clean the throttle body as well as getting access to the spark plugs (Cautions, how to put new plugs in - tighness - tools, what to do if they are tight, ect...).

Come to think of it, Saturn did a 'carbon' flush on my car about 2 months ago. Should I bother with the throttle body?

Thanks,

- raverMJK
raverMJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
raverMJK
Junior Member
raverMJK is on a distinguished road
 
raverMJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Rough idle.

Ok..I have replaced the sparks plugs and cleaned the throttle body...no change in idle. Does anyone else have any other suggestions. I have thought about paying a mechanic to hook it up to the computer for diagnostics...maybe that will help shed some light on this issue
raverMJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Bigdaddy94sc2
Senior Member
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road
 
Bigdaddy94sc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Anderson, SC (Clemson)
Posts: 1,543
 

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Rough idle.

Best advice I can give ya is to take it to the dealer for diagnosis. Tell them what your symptoms are and what you have replaced. To me it sounds like a possible bad catalytic converter which is covered under 8/80k warranty. If it ends up being that, you wont have to pay a diagnostic charge. If it is something different, you will probably be able to fix it yourself....
...
GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough
 
SaturnSdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Az
Posts: 3,214
 

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Rough idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2
Best advice I can give ya is to take it to the dealer for diagnosis. Tell them what your symptoms are and what you have replaced. To me it sounds like a possible bad catalytic converter which is covered under 8/80k warranty. If it ends up being that, you wont have to pay a diagnostic charge. If it is something different, you will probably be able to fix it yourself....

I agree........throwing parts at it can get very costly
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
raverMJK
Junior Member
raverMJK is on a distinguished road
 
raverMJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 17
Default Re: Rough idle.

It seems like I have phased out the rough idling just a little bit more this past weekend. I put some fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas and took my car out to the highway. I brought the rpms up to around 4000 and held it there for about 20 seconds. Usaully I change gears around 2500 to 3000 rpms but drove my car around for the rest of the day changing gears around 4000 - 4500 rpms . When I finally parked the car, the idling had noticably smoothed out with the odd sputter.

I do drive my car around like a little old lady and was told by a mechanic that this can cause things to "gunk" up. I was also told that by driving the vehicle a bit aggressive every once and a while helps to "clean" things out.

I am still going to put the car on diagnostics and will let you know what else I come up.

Cheers,

- raverMJK
raverMJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 PM   #10
06blk2.4
Member
06blk2.4 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 145

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1999 SL
Default Re: Rough idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raverMJK
It seems like I have phased out the rough idling just a little bit more this past weekend. I put some fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas and took my car out to the highway. I brought the rpms up to around 4000 and held it there for about 20 seconds. Usaully I change gears around 2500 to 3000 rpms but drove my car around for the rest of the day changing gears around 4000 - 4500 rpms . When I finally parked the car, the idling had noticably smoothed out with the odd sputter.

I do drive my car around like a little old lady and was told by a mechanic that this can cause things to "gunk" up. I was also told that by driving the vehicle a bit aggressive every once and a while helps to "clean" things out.

I am still going to put the car on diagnostics and will let you know what else I come up.

Cheers,

- raverMJK
raver- I tend to agree with Bigdaddy sounds like it could be your cat. If you do a lot of stop/go driving, or low rpm shifting, pollutants can clog your catalytic converter causing issues like you described. Dont be afraid to get on it a little bit here and there, as it can actually help sometimes. I would still have it checked out just to be safe, but you should be fine.
Devin
...
06 Black Quad Coupe 2.4 Auto.
06blk2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough IDLE/Low IDLE no check engine light savage21 Vue Tech 9 12-08-2010 01:27 AM
'97 SC2, Rough Start, Rough Idle Right at Start maficke S-Series Tech 6 02-01-2007 05:35 PM
really rough idle when in 1st gear at idle rpqsl S-Series Tech 4 12-06-2005 09:25 PM
rough idle, rough sluggish pickup, 97slw smiles233 S-Series General 7 10-14-2005 04:28 PM
rough idle 94sc295sl2 S-Series Tech 1 08-29-2004 11:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.