raverMJK is on a distinguished road

Attention Rough idle.

Car Specs:
2004 ion 2
Manual
75000 km
Sport Exhaust
Cold Air Intake

When I purchased the vehicle from the dealership, the above mentioned was already installed on the car. During the first 30000km that i owned the car it would idle extremely smooth with a nice hum from the exhaust . No sputterring sounds . At around 30000km I started noticing that the hum was slowly turning into short little sputters when idling. It has gotten to the point now where that is all that the car does when it is warm and idling warm...sputter...hum.......sputer....sputter...hum . When the car is cold it sounds as good as day 1 with no sputters. I have always been good on maintenance (oil changes, keeping air filter clean) and do drive the car fairly easy (No drags, or street races). What other kind of maintenance should I perform to smooth out the idling? Maybe the plugs? Or does this just come with age?

Thanks,

- raverMJK
raverMJK is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
synthkat
synthkat is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rough idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raverMJK
Car Specs:
2004 ion 2
Manual
75000 km
Sport Exhaust
Cold Air Intake

When I purchased the vehicle from the dealership, the above mentioned was already installed on the car. During the first 30000km that i owned the car it would idle extremely smooth with a nice hum from the exhaust . No sputterring sounds . At around 30000km I started noticing that the hum was slowly turning into short little sputters when idling. It has gotten to the point now where that is all that the car does when it is warm and idling warm...sputter...hum.......sputer....sputter...hum . When the car is cold it sounds as good as day 1 with no sputters. I have always been good on maintenance (oil changes, keeping air filter clean) and do drive the car fairly easy (No drags, or street races). What other kind of maintenance should I perform to smooth out the idling? Maybe the plugs? Or does this just come with age?

Thanks,

- raverMJK
Try cleaning the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner also make sure the IAT sensor that's on the CAI is not dirty. That can be cleaned with those electrical cleaners. Checking your plugs wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

I had an '04 Ion Auto with the AEM CAI, when warm it would do a very short sputter-like motion, but that was just the exhaust after it's gotten warm causing the sputters. You should hear the noises the LSJ engine makes in a Redline, I thought I had bought a lemon at first since I had never had a car with a supercharger before. That blender sounds while idle made me think my engine was destroying itself.
- Synth
synthkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
raverMJK

Thanks for the advice. Are these things that I can perform as a novice with a manual or should I take the car into a garage?

- raverMJK
Old 09-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
synthkat
synthkat is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Are these things that I can perform as a novice with a manual or should I take the car into a garage?

- raverMJK
I'm definitely a novice and I'm pretty sure you won't damage the car in anyway byt doing this. Just be careful not to let anything get inside of the throttle body. You can clean it without taking it out.
- Synth
synthkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
raverMJK

Do you know of any good online manuals that show how to clean the throttle body as well as getting access to the spark plugs (Cautions, how to put new plugs in - tighness - tools, what to do if they are tight, ect...).

Come to think of it, Saturn did a 'carbon' flush on my car about 2 months ago. Should I bother with the throttle body?

Thanks,

- raverMJK
Old 09-30-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
raverMJK

Ok..I have replaced the sparks plugs and cleaned the throttle body...no change in idle. Does anyone else have any other suggestions. I have thought about paying a mechanic to hook it up to the computer for diagnostics...maybe that will help shed some light on this issue
Old 09-30-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Best advice I can give ya is to take it to the dealer for diagnosis. Tell them what your symptoms are and what you have replaced. To me it sounds like a possible bad catalytic converter which is covered under 8/80k warranty. If it ends up being that, you wont have to pay a diagnostic charge. If it is something different, you will probably be able to fix it yourself....
GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2
Best advice I can give ya is to take it to the dealer for diagnosis. Tell them what your symptoms are and what you have replaced. To me it sounds like a possible bad catalytic converter which is covered under 8/80k warranty. If it ends up being that, you wont have to pay a diagnostic charge. If it is something different, you will probably be able to fix it yourself....

I agree........throwing parts at it can get very costly
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
raverMJK

It seems like I have phased out the rough idling just a little bit more this past weekend. I put some fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas and took my car out to the highway. I brought the rpms up to around 4000 and held it there for about 20 seconds. Usaully I change gears around 2500 to 3000 rpms but drove my car around for the rest of the day changing gears around 4000 - 4500 rpms . When I finally parked the car, the idling had noticably smoothed out with the odd sputter.

I do drive my car around like a little old lady and was told by a mechanic that this can cause things to "gunk" up. I was also told that by driving the vehicle a bit aggressive every once and a while helps to "clean" things out.

I am still going to put the car on diagnostics and will let you know what else I come up.

Cheers,

- raverMJK
Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 PM   #10
06blk2.4
06blk2.4 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1999 SL

Quote:
It seems like I have phased out the rough idling just a little bit more this past weekend. I put some fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas and took my car out to the highway. I brought the rpms up to around 4000 and held it there for about 20 seconds. Usaully I change gears around 2500 to 3000 rpms but drove my car around for the rest of the day changing gears around 4000 - 4500 rpms . When I finally parked the car, the idling had noticably smoothed out with the odd sputter.

I do drive my car around like a little old lady and was told by a mechanic that this can cause things to "gunk" up. I was also told that by driving the vehicle a bit aggressive every once and a while helps to "clean" things out.

I am still going to put the car on diagnostics and will let you know what else I come up.

Cheers,

- raverMJK
raver- I tend to agree with Bigdaddy sounds like it could be your cat. If you do a lot of stop/go driving, or low rpm shifting, pollutants can clog your catalytic converter causing issues like you described. Dont be afraid to get on it a little bit here and there, as it can actually help sometimes. I would still have it checked out just to be safe, but you should be fine.
Devin
06 Black Quad Coupe 2.4 Auto.
06blk2.4 is offline   Reply With Quote