saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line

Old 08-07-2006, 01:46 AM   #1
orangepeel14
orangepeel14 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
1994 SC
Question so im trying to find an RL

ok so im in southern california...and the dealership down here, Saturn of Cerritos told me that there are no black 06 ion rls with the comp package in southern california....i dunno if thats true, but if anyone knows of a new one that is available for sale with the CA emissions package installed i would greatly appreciate it!! thanks guys.
orangepeel14 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
synthkat
synthkat is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: so im trying to find an RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepeel14
ok so im in southern california...and the dealership down here, Saturn of Cerritos told me that there are no black 06 ion rls with the comp package in southern california....i dunno if thats true, but if anyone knows of a new one that is available for sale with the CA emissions package installed i would greatly appreciate it!! thanks guys.
I saw two RL's at Saturn of Torrance this past weekend. They were used though, one looked like an '05 w/ the Aero Wing, the other maybe another '05. You might also want to check with them if they have any '06's still in stock.

I was going to check out the one's on the front lot but had no time to do so.
- Synth
synthkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
orangepeel14

2006 ION Red Line
1994 SC

thanks...i called them...they say they have 07's in black...no 06's...i was told at saturn of cerritos tho that there were no 07's...hmmm....if anyone has insight on that can they let me know....and what the difference between the 06's and 07's are...thanks!!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
thanks...i called them...they say they have 07's in black...no 06's...i was told at saturn of cerritos tho that there were no 07's...hmmm....if anyone has insight on that can they let me know....and what the difference between the 06's and 07's are...thanks!!
Hummmmm no 06's, I guess they sold em.......whats humm about? They may not have a 07 RL in stock yet so they said they don't have that either, hummmm.

Last edited by SaturnSdn; 08-07-2006 at 11:18 PM.
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
Wolfie
Wolfie is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

I believe the big difference is the 07 does not have the recaro seats
Silver Nickel 2004 Red Line
Built on June 26, 2004. 1 out of 57 built that day.
My Mods:-
K&N CAI
3.2" Pulleyboys Quickchange Pulley
WEAPON*R Engine Damper
GM Stage 1
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
synthkat

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yup, no more Recaro's. Those with the 07's will be envying us!
- Synth
Old 08-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
orangepeel14

2006 ION Red Line
1994 SC

oh..ok...the dealer in cerritos said saturn wasnt coming out with an 07...but when i had talked to torrance they said they have like 3 so i guess thats where im going...someone hit my trade in last night tho....so i guess that postpones my getting a car for a couple weeks
Old 08-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
synthkat

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
oh..ok...the dealer in cerritos said saturn wasnt coming out with an 07...but when i had talked to torrance they said they have like 3 so i guess thats where im going...someone hit my trade in last night tho....so i guess that postpones my getting a car for a couple weeks
That sucks.

If you do end up getting an RL check out redlineforums.com if you haven't already done so. You'll find tons of info and help on that site.
- Synth
Old 08-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #9
orangepeel14

2006 ION Red Line
1994 SC

yea ive been jumping back and forth from this site and that one...the only thing about these forums is you always seem to get these people that seem to be mad at the world and want to start arguments rather than help you with what you post.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I hope you were talking to me...............because your post was suggesting that Saturn of Cerritos was lying to you about having an 06 ION RL in stock. Then it went on to suggest that they lied to you about ION RL's being built in 2007. I wonder why a car dealership would try so hard not to sell cars as to tell you a car is not going to be built. I take it that YOU misunderstood or your entire post is made up. The only thing about these forums is you always seem to get these people that seem to be mad at the world and want to make up stories.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Superman
Superman is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn
I hope you were talking to me...............because your post was suggesting that Saturn of Cerritos was lying to you about having an 06 ION RL in stock. Then it went on to suggest that they lied to you about ION RL's being built in 2007. I wonder why a car dealership would try so hard not to sell cars as to tell you a car is not going to be built. I take it that YOU misunderstood or your entire post is made up. The only thing about these forums is you always seem to get these people that seem to be mad at the world and want to make up stories.
Hey man, there's no need for responses like that. I'm not sure if you intended it or not, but your response came off 10x harsher than orangepeels.

Actually, this situation is not that uncommon. A LOT of dealers know that the IRL is a hard sell sometimes. They just don't sell very many of them. I know of dealers that have actually refused to accept an allocation for ION Redlines because they don't want to try to sell it. Plus, we all know that your typically Saturn salesperson is not necessarily the most knowledgeable. 90% of the people who frequent forums like this (or redlineforums.com) know more about these situations than the sales folks do.

There are 2007 ION models out there, including the Redline. The '07 Redline is the same as the '04-'06 models, with the exception of the Recaro seats. However, if you can find an '05-'06 new or used, I would definitely go for that. Buy used if you can. You will save a TON of money. The IRL's value drops like a rock, so used ones with very low miles can be found pretty easily.

And don't ever give up when it comes to some people being annoying on the forums. Just be confident in yourself and ask good questions. There are always helpful people around willing to give some good answers.

Good luck in your hunt.
- Aaron

'04 ION RedLine (Electric Blue)
'94 SL1 (Gold, sold)
STC-FL
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #12
mytdawg
mytdawg is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

My dealer does not appear to be real interested in stocking any more of them either although I'm sure they would try if someone wanted one. They were a hard sell for most of the dealers. Probably due to the fact they just weren't used to trying to sell a performance vehicle and that certainly isn't the first thing most people think of when they think of Saturns.

I found mine in the back lot with a clearance tag on it. I had to drive behind the dealership to find it. The salesman looked at me like a retriever waiting for a ball when I started asking about the supercharger. He had NO clue.

The service department is getting the hang of it though. They did finally install my stage two kit.

There is usually one or two a week on ebay. They are usually pretty reasonably priced. The dealers just want to unload them. It's too bad they didn't sell, for the price I'd rather have a Saturn then a WRX or Evo. I prefer to drive a "domestic" car anyway though. I do live in a GM town.
mytdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #13
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Again..............I highly doubt anyone at Saturn of Cerritos flat lied about having a car in stock that someone was looking for. I highly doubt anyone at Saturn of Anytown would flat lie about any cars that were available for dealer trades. Now if a dealer finds they can not sell enough numbers of a model and decides not to stock them thats just the way it is, and is nothing new in any type of business.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
synthkat

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It does seem odd that a sales guy would state that 07 RL's don't exist. Either they are not well informed, which would've made me go to another dealer instead, or they did in fact lie. And if they lied it would make no sense to do so since they would have to assume that the customer asking for the RL would end up finding the 07's at another dealer. If I were orangepeel, just out of curiosity, I'd ask the sales guy how he got his information about the availability of 07 RL's.

Additionally, since this is a California dealer, I would assume that selling a performance car should be no problem. Then again I've never been in the car selling business which just makes this MY opinion.
- Synth
Old 08-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #15
synthkat

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman
...However, if you can find an '05-'06 new or used, I would definitely go for that. Buy used if you can. You will save a TON of money. The IRL's value drops like a rock, so used ones with very low miles can be found pretty easily...
I 2nd that! I bought my '04 this past Feb and so far *knocks on wood* I'd say it was a good buy. It had low miles (10k) and looked new, plus since it was cheap enough I got the Saturn Extended warranty on it.

An '05 or an '06 with low miles should be a VERY good find. If you found one I'd just do a Carfax on it and/or get a service history on it for peace of mind.

Good luck!
- Synth
Old 08-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #16
orangepeel14

2006 ION Red Line
1994 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthkat
I 2nd that! I bought my '04 this past Feb and so far *knocks on wood* I'd say it was a good buy. It had low miles (10k) and looked new, plus since it was cheap enough I got the Saturn Extended warranty on it.

An '05 or an '06 with low miles should be a VERY good find. If you found one I'd just do a Carfax on it and/or get a service history on it for peace of mind.

the problem with a used one is...im scared that if i find one....i dont really know how it was driven...but i have thought about that...getting a used one that is... its kinda a hard car to find...
Old 08-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #17
Superman

2004 ION Red Line
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
the problem with a used one is...im scared that if i find one....i dont really know how it was driven...but i have thought about that...getting a used one that is... its kinda a hard car to find...
That's why you do like synthkat said above and CarFax it. That will tell you whether the car has had any major problems or not. As far as being driven hard....well, that one is harder to tell, especially if you're considering a car that is some distance away and you may not be able to test drive it. However, I can personally attest that these cars can take a pretty good beating. If you buy anything with less than 20k miles on it, you should be fine. I just rolled over 57k this morning in my car, and my clutch still feels brand new.

If you're really concerned about how the car was treated, you could always try to find someone who lives close that can go check it out for you. I know most of the guys on redlineforums.com would be plenty willing to help you out. We're always looking for fresh blood.
- Aaron

'94 SL1 (Gold, sold)
STC-FL
Old 08-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #18
synthkat

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Definitely, these engines were built for taking beatings so I agree with Super. An RL with less than 20k should be ok! Just get the facts you need from the dealer as far as the service logs. Make sure you find out how much warranty it still has left. Once you're satisfied with what you see, you should be fine. I'd check out the one's in the Saturn of Torrance lot. I've had good experiences with them lately.

If you check redlineforums you'll see that most of the problems that arise on these cars are self induced.
- Synth
Old 08-11-2006, 02:45 PM   #19
Superman

2004 ION Red Line
2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
If you check redlineforums you'll see that most of the problems that arise on these cars are self induced.
^^^ LOL Ain't that the truth...I still can't understand some of these guys blowing up their clutches in less than 10k miles. This is my first manual car. I basically learned to drive stick on this thing. And I taught my wife to drive stick in this car. At 57k miles, the clutch still feels brand new.

Quote:
An RL with less than 20k should be ok! Just get the facts you need from the dealer as far as the service logs. Make sure you find out how much warranty it still has left.
Actually, I would look into it, and see if you get a warranty out to 60k if possible. IF any major problem is going to occurr, it will likely be between 36k and 60k. I had a fluke failure with my S/C right around 36k miles, and boy am I glad it was covered under warranty.
- Aaron

'94 SL1 (Gold, sold)
STC-FL
Old 08-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #20
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Here is a Redline at Saturn of Tempe.

http://www.saturnoftempe.com/Saturno...T=31&x=65&y=44