SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
blen_to
blen_to is on a distinguished road

Default BC without Radio

Hi all,

Can I do this? I would replace my radio, but would like to keep BC controls, is this doable?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blen_to's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blen_to reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blen_to is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: BC without Radio

As far as the BC is concerned, you do not need the factory radio for it to work. It is a stand-alone system, separate from the radio. They do interact with each other, but they are ultimately separate.

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

The BC remains fully functional, except that you can't access the settings menu. The settings button on the radio is the only thing not emulated on the steering wheel controls. You won't be able to set your clock with an aftermarket radio.

However, I think there is a kit that will make a steering wheel button function like the settings button.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

This is the reason I kept my stock CDC40 and wired a subwoofer amp to it. I wish it had bluetooth though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
tallNewfie
tallNewfie is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
The BC remains fully functional, except that you can't access the settings menu. The settings button on the radio is the only thing not emulated on the steering wheel controls. You won't be able to set your clock with an aftermarket radio.

However, I think there is a kit that will make a steering wheel button function like the settings button.
Hey Spencerb,
What is this kit? I haven't heard of it before.

~~ Bryan ~~
2009 Astra XE - manual, wired FM mod
2009 Astra XR - auto
2001 SC2 - manual, sunroof (retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tallNewfie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tallNewfie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tallNewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
This is the reason I kept my stock CDC40 and wired a subwoofer amp to it. I wish it had bluetooth though.
How did that work out for you? Was it difficult?

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Not hard at all - then again, I did it a different way than others would have. I used the Auto-Antenna pin (AR) to turn the amp on and off, and back-probed the front right line out for the RCA connection, leaving the speaker still connected.

I also used a y-splitter to halve the signal and connected both to the right and left channel of the amp. I wired a Dayton 10" Titanic Mk III subwoofer to the amp, and used the equalizer on the head unit to adjust the levels. Basically everything below 300hz, I rolled back, while everything above I rolled up. I also bumped up the treble a few notches higher. Then I tuned the amp to the levels so everything sounded even and so that the subwoofer was doing all the work at the lower levels. At the dealer, I had them turn the fade off with the Tech2. There are pluses and minuses to doing so. The plus is that the head unit will no longer automatically drop the volume. The minus is that you can't adjust the front and rear speaker levels. All fine with me! I really like the way everything sounds. Pwise952 actually got to hear it when we met up in Portland when he bought my old set of 18" wheels from me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote