SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
Saturngirl4ever
Saturngirl4ever is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default 2004 V6 - Engine mounts bad at 188k?

Every time I start it up, it sounds horrible in the engine compartment. Rattling is terrible for a few minutes, then it evens out. I have heard noises coming from the front passenger side, but then they go away.

Mechanic says the engine mounts are bad and need to be replaced at about $550. I'm guessing this isn't something I could do myself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturngirl4ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturngirl4ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturngirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: 2004 V6 - Engine mounts bad at 188k?

Saturngirl,
First off, I had to have all three motor mounts replaces on my 07 with about 89k on it when I bought it in Oct of 13... I had dealership do it as they sold me the car like that. And, depending on tools, knowledge level and the such, the top passenger one is easy, the bottom front takes a little work, and the back I would still have garage do I think.... Maybe with car on lift, but not on ground.
That being said, mine didn't rattle on start up, it wandered with the grooves of the road, and the engine shifted all over the place when you turned the steering wheel. Rattles are normally something loose. I am not saying that your motor mounts aren't bad... Just that I would take it to two or three shops and ask them if they can figure out what is causing the rattle... Just don't tell them what you think it is. Have them give you written estimate as well as show you under the hood why they think it is what they wrote down.
And I am not trying to be condescending as I said what I did, just don't know how much you know your Vue and the mechanical side of it. Plus we all know some garages like to pull a fast one with a woman.

My .02.....

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

If the mounts are bad, you can replace yourself.
I'm not sure on the cost of new units, but if you search forum there were several posts with instructions on how to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturngirl4ever View Post
Mechanic says the engine mounts are bad and need to be replaced at about $550. I'm guessing this isn't something I could do myself?
I'm thinking $550 is reasonable if it includes parts and labor and mechanic stood behind claim new mounts would cure start-up noise.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Saturngirl,
I actually agree with F2G on this, if mechanic stands by claim of $550 to swap the mounts and that cures the noise, that is a good price. But if it doesn't fix it, then what is he going to do. That is why I am suggesting getting a couple of different garages look at it.

The price is right, as long as that fixes the issue... If it doesn't then what is the question.

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Per the spirit of this technical forum I'd suggest doing it yourself. The point is not to let them touch your car.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote