SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
Default Gift for the mechanic who has everything - clever flexible light or mirror?

I just had my motor rebuilt and a new clutch put in at a shop, and the mechanic did a great job. I would like to get him some small gift to show my appreciation (and I also may be developing a crush on him! ), and was thinking along the lines of this gorilla light:

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-JB01239-C...=gorilla+torch

It does have magnetic feet, but I'm not sure how strong they are, and I'm also concerned that the rubber legs may have a short life if used near a hot engine.

Do you have any suggestions? Maybe there's some kind of similar flexible clip-on mirror? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Upstate Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Upstate Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Upstate Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Gift for the mechanic who has everything - clever flexible light or mirror?

Ya'll might try some home baked goodies instead....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2
Default Re: Gift for the mechanic who has everything - clever flexible light or mirror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Ya'll might try some home baked goodies instead....
i agree with this one. he probably has that light or mirror.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

beer usually works

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

disposable gloves and Boraxo

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
KDulcimer
KDulcimer is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Ditto on the baked goods. Also an excuse to slip in your phone number.

SaturnFans helper map: http://bit.ly/1uDorVF
Wife's: 98 SW2, 130k, auto trans, bought 01/2014
Mine: 07 Focus wagon, 5 speed, 380k km, bought 02/2015
02 SL sold after 3.5 years of faithful service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KDulcimer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KDulcimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
lorentholcke
lorentholcke is on a distinguished road

Three things that my wife gets me that is always great consist of baked goods, beer, and/or steak. Since you would probably be bringing it to his work, the baked goods would certainly be the best bet.

2001 SL1- 246xxx, Original clutch, transmission, and engine with no overhauls---Retired
2000 SW2- 150xxx, I wish it got the same gas mileage as the SL1
2013 Mazda3 i touring hatchback

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lorentholcke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lorentholcke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lorentholcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutUpstate Saturn has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2

Okay, baked goods wins it by a mile!

Easy for me, and showing up on the first really cold morning (by South Carolina standards) with warm homemade muffins for the shop will advance my cause!

Plus, now I can order this really cool light for myself instead of him. It looks a lot more useful than the gorilla light and probably won't melt:

http://www.amazon.com/Horisun-LSMF20...tic+flashlight

•Magnetic extendable flashlight with flexible neck
•Powerful retrieval magnets on both ends
•Three super bright LED bulbs
•Telescopes from 6.5 to 21 inches
•Heavy-duty metal construction; (4) LR44 lithium button cell batteries included

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Upstate Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Saturn View Post
Easy for me, and showing up on the first really cold morning (by South Carolina standards) with warm homemade muffins for the shop will advance my cause!
Sounds like a winner! Not enough people show their appreciation for a good shop/mechanic and it'll be good for his ego (he might get ribbed by some of his coworkers, but the boss will notice one of his employees got praised for a good job, never hurts)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

Through all the work I've done on my car, the best thing I've found for help is a head-lamp with an adjustable beam.

Thus far, this has been simply awesome.

REALLY freakin bright, and the brightness is adjustable. the weight is split between the front and rear, balancing the weight.... Best light I've ever had!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
(he might get ribbed by some of his coworkers, )
Oh, quite the contrary. A female customer, probably doing a lousy job concealing his interest in him, shows up with home-made baked goods for him, and they'll be thinking "dayum, what has he go that I ain't got?".

As for that second Amazon product, when you show up with the plate of muffins or whatever, have the page up on your phone. Casually mention that you're thinking of getting one for yourself, and what does _he_ think (more ego stroking) of the quality, usefulness, etc., since, you know, you trust his judgement... His reaction might give you a sense of whether he'd be interested in one too -- just in case you want an excuse to show up at the shop again...

Agreed on the first one - looks cheap, and some negative reviews suggesting same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #12
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
Through all the work I've done on my car, the best thing I've found for help is a head-lamp with an adjustable beam.

Thus far, this has been simply awesome.

REALLY freakin bright, and the brightness is adjustable. the weight is split between the front and rear, balancing the weight.... Best light I've ever had!
The Headlight is the Best! I use it all the time and there are good and inexpensive ones for sale at The Home Depot now and then. You can leave/lose the first light wrapped around the lower pittman arm of that '76 Nova you'll never see again as it drives away but you always take your head out of the car when you're done.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
KDulcimer
KDulcimer is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

So... did the muffins work?

SaturnFans helper map: http://bit.ly/1uDorVF
Wife's: 98 SW2, 130k, auto trans, bought 01/2014
Mine: 07 Focus wagon, 5 speed, 380k km, bought 02/2015
02 SL sold after 3.5 years of faithful service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KDulcimer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KDulcimer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KDulcimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #14
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

When you bring your baked goods, be sure to wear this shirt:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GirlHeartMechanicShirt.jpg (97.9 KB, 16 views)

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 188,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Upstate Saturn

2001 SL2

LOL about the shirt, definitely need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Oh, quite the contrary. A female customer, probably doing a lousy job concealing his interest in him, shows up with home-made baked goods for him, and they'll be thinking "dayum, what has he go that I ain't got?"

"Probably doing a lousy job concealing her interest in him", YES, by a factor of about 50!!

Also, I thought you had to be far south of the Mason/Dixon line to use "dayum" in a sentence....

And, no haven't tried the baked goods strategy yet, but it's still pretty warm out, I need a nice cold morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:49 AM   #16
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

It keeps popping up on the ad section of facebook for me for some reason....

http://teespring.com/loveshermechanic

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 188,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote