SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
mardens.com
mardens.com is on a distinguished road

Default To get at the timing chain... ?

The instructions on Autozone's site for DOHC say to remove timing chain cover buit don't mention any prerequisites... don't you have to remove a bunch of other crap first? Don't you have to take off the crank pulley and the tensioner pulley first? And the cam cover? (Sorry... novice here, have read many timing chain threads here but still unsure).

Also, when removing the timing chain cover and the valve cover do new gaskets need to be put on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mardens.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mardens.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mardens.com is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: To get at the timing chain... ?

its a pain in the neck to do it in-frame but it can be done. i did one on an SOHC engine and it wasn't that bad.

you do need a new gasket (RTV bead only) on the timing cover. if you're using an OEM rubber gasket on the valve cover and it is in good shape you can re-use that one. don't forget to re-do the points on the chain cover where it meets the valve cover with a little extra RTV.

practice doing a dry-run on everything before attempting to get the chain cover back on the car permanently with wet RTV. that way you won't knock it out of place on the re-install.

water pump can stay, P/S pump should probably be pulled (leave hoses in place). crank pulley must be removed. don't forget about the smaller 8mm head bolts near the idler pulley. tensioner comes off also. 4 smaller 8mm bolts on the underside that bolt the oil pan to the chain cover also.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
drockken
drockken is on a distinguished road

There is this bracket that bolts onto the body ( 3 bolts from the wheel well.) I think this is from the torque axis mount, but don't remember exactly. I found that by removing this it gave me additional clearance that made working frame-in so much easier. Well worth the few extra minutes it took to take off and put back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to drockken's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help drockken reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
drockken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I did it in a '96 SC2. As others have said, it's a PITA but, doable. You will need to remove the top engine mount. You can either support things with a jack under the oil pan or put a small piece of wood in under the bottom dogbone. The jack might be easier because you'll be able to move things around a little. I used the wood. The first problem you are going to have is getting the pulley off the end of the crankshaft. Here's a link to a thread that suggests several ways to do it.

You do have to get the power steering pump out of the way. As I recall, that involves getting a hidden bolt out through the hole in the pulley. I can't remember whether I took loose the alternator or the A/C compressor. There weren't any suprises if I did. You do have to take off the tensioner and the idler pulley. Take the pulley off the tensioner first, then unbolt the bolts that hold it on. When you get all the bolts out, you have to pry the cover off. MAKE SURE YOU GOT ALL THE BOLTS!!! They hide a couple in the middle of the cover.

When you go to put the cover back on, do a couple dry runs without RTV. It's tricky to get it on with the RTV intact.

Lastly, I'll suggest you invest in a Chilton's or a Haynes manual. For no other reason than for the pictures that show how to get the colored links on the chain lined up right.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

The crank pulley just pulls off Barn Owl. Unless you have run into some really stuck on ones. Remove the crank bolt and then just wiggle and pull the pulley right off.
Hardest thing about getting the timing cover back on is getting everything lined up so the oil pump gear slides back over the end of the crank. I did this out of the car and it sucked! It will take a few tries.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2clone View Post
The crank pulley just pulls off Barn Owl. Unless you have run into some really stuck on ones. Remove the crank bolt and then just wiggle and pull the pulley right off.
You are correct. Getting the bolt out is the hard part. That's what I was referring too.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
guitar_stitch
guitar_stitch will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2

Things that must be removed completely:

Tensioner
Top Motor Mount
Water Pump Pulley
Crankshaft Pulley
Cam Cover

The power steering pump can be unbolted, and shoved back into the firewall.

I would definitely recommend the jack under the oil pan (with a block of wood to distribute the load) so that you can use the jack to raise and lower the engine, giving you better access to the bolts.

You'll definitely want to pull that tire and all the splash guards to give you full access to all the bolts. USE JACK STANDS TO SUPPORT THE VEHICLE.

Make sure you thoroughly clean all mating surfaces on the block and on the cover or you will have a leak.

If the cam cover doesn't pop off with relatively little force, you've missed a bolt. Prying it WILL break the cover, and it's expensive.

Oh good. My Dog found the Chainsaw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guitar_stitch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guitar_stitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guitar_stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

put a 2x4 block of wood between the lower dogbone and the subframe. Use a jack under the oil pan to lower the engine when you unbolt the top axis mount so there's no stress on its threads. But then you can lower the jack when you're done and it should rest peacefully on the wood and subframe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
patrick_johnson
patrick_johnson is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default i need some HELP

hi im lookin for a timing chain cover for my saturn sl2 1992 DOHC 1.9 I broke mine when my girlfriend backed into my car, i also broke timing chain cover ,valve cove lower engine mount ,smashed my windshield washer tank and this thang that gose inside of the front bumper it was smashed ot it had like black sand or something in it it had 2 ruber lines running from it going to the enginecan somone here help me ? i dont know what that thang was ? but anyways if anyone can help me it would be nice thanks for everything buh bye

check out my saturn sl2 customized with many mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565742

new pics page 12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patrick_johnson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patrick_johnson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patrick_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: i need some HELP

[QUOTE=patrick_johnson;1061708]hi im lookin for a timing chain cover for my saturn sl2 1992 DOHC 1.9 I broke mine when my girlfriend backed into my car, i also broke timing chain cover ,valve cove lower engine mount ,smashed my windshield washer tank and this thang that gose inside of the front bumper it was smashed ot it had like black sand or something in it it had 2 ruber lines running from it going to the enginecan somone here help me ? i dont know what that thang was ? but anyways if anyone can help me it would be nice thanks for everything buh bye

That sounds like the charcoal cannister. With all this damage what did it do to the frame?

BTW multiple posts does not make for quicker responses.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote