SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
JohninPhoenix
JohninPhoenix will become famous soon enoughJohninPhoenix will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
Default Changing the odometer reading

Several years ago I had to get a new instrument cluster. The shop that did it "forgot?" to turn the odometer to what the numbers were...so it was back at zero.

I remember talking to them about it and they told me it's too late to change.

I've lived with it for a few years, and plenty of shops are caught off guard by the low number. I know what it should be because there is a tag in the door jam with the original miles. So they have to be added together each time.

Lots of knowledgeable people on this board so I had a few questions...

1. Should I hound the original shop to forward the odometer to the correct mileage?

2. Is there a way I can do it myself (I think this is a NO)

3. Should I leave it alone and pretend it has low miles?

Any advice would be appreciated. The incorrect (low) miles has always bothered me!

John
JohninPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Changing the odometer reading

'98+ I'm pretty sure you can't change the reading. '98-'99 it's stored in the cluster and '00-'02 it's stored in the BCM (might be changeable with a Tech II).
'95-'97 is super easy and there's a guide that gets you close enough you can figure out the next 2 steps, I assume since the guide is basically the same for '91-'94 it's just as easy but I've not torn into that style.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
JohninPhoenix
JohninPhoenix will become famous soon enoughJohninPhoenix will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

Right, so if mine is stored in the cluster (cause it's a 99) am I stuck?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

You might want to look into state laws. Some states require by law that any service shop correct the mileage on an odometer. That would give you fuel to make the original shop deal with it.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The only way it can be changed is when initially installed if it was a new OEM cluster which it sounds like yours was. Once it accumulates 5 miles or so the ability to change the reading is locked out. Thee is no way to change it without shipping it off to a speedometer shop who will change the chip. and correctly set it.

Keep the info on mileage on paper and when you sell the car give it to the buyer and write it on the title if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninPhoenix View Post
Several years ago I had to get a new instrument cluster. The shop that did it "forgot?" to turn the odometer to what the numbers were...so it was back at zero.

I remember talking to them about it and they told me it's too late to change.

I've lived with it for a few years, and plenty of shops are caught off guard by the low number. I know what it should be because there is a tag in the door jam with the original miles. So they have to be added together each time.

Lots of knowledgeable people on this board so I had a few questions...

1. Should I hound the original shop to forward the odometer to the correct mileage?

2. Is there a way I can do it myself (I think this is a NO)

3. Should I leave it alone and pretend it has low miles?

Any advice would be appreciated. The incorrect (low) miles has always bothered me!

John
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
JohninPhoenix

1999 SL1

"There is no way to change it without shipping it off to a speedometer shop who will change the chip. and correctly set it."

Right..because I called another shop today and that's exactly what they said. I'm wondering if I have a case with the shop that screwed up according to state laws here in Arizona like the above poster mentioned.

Hrmmm..I may need to investigate further. The shop that screwed up is acting mean, lying, wishy-washy.

John
1999 SL1
126,000 miles
Phoenix, Arizona
Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Around here it is really no big deal. If a vehicle is over 10 years old and has been sold privately it seems to always get a "not actual mileage" added to the title along with a last reported mileage date?

A quick search of "arizona odometer disclosure" yields POA Odometer Disclosure form as well as a link to the AADA faq which says: "If the odometer canít be set to true mileage, it must be
set to zero and a notice must be attached to the left doorframe noting the prior mileage reading." Did the shop add the sticker? If not, I'd guess that would be all they would be required to do?
1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
JohninPhoenix

1999 SL1

Off track, that's exactly what they did when it happened, probably to cover themselves. Oh well.

If I am going to keep the car for a while (which I am) it really doesn't even matter.

John
1999 SL1
126,000 miles
Phoenix, Arizona
Old 05-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The shop screwed up by driving the car after replacing the cluster and then reading the instructions. That is why you have a sticker on the door. If you wanted to push it you could get another cluster out of them as they did the job wrong. Not worth the hassle.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member
Razzle Dazzle is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

I asked this a while back and I got a whole lot of no's. :c

I was sad, that seems like something that should be doable with a code scanner.
'12 Chevrolet Cruze, 1.4T M/T 101k
Miss my White 95 SC2, said goodbye at 213k, 7 years of ownership.
Razzle Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Years ago the Feds got their bloomers in a bunch about turning back odometers and forced the states to pass all these laws and the manufacturers to make changing it almost impossible.

It is just like so many people will not buy a 15 year old car without a clean CarFax.