SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
batmobile
batmobile is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Question Can I change my odometer reading?

The odometer on my 94 SL2 stopped a while ago and I am about to change out the 25 tooth gear that is the usual culprit in these cases. I estimate that I have put about 5K miles on the car since it stopped and I would like to add that to the current reading to more accurately reflect the true mileage of the car. I know it is possible to adjust the mileage counter but I have no prior experience in this area so I am wondering how easy it is to do. I don't want to break something else while trying to do this.
batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Can I change my odometer reading?

You can run into some legal issues when you knowingly alter the odometer readings. But putting those aside, if you can hook up the odometer gear or spindle to a drill somehow, you could probbaly put it back up around hwere it belongs. I know a guy that used to do this, only in reverse But the auto makers got smart and the digits seperate when you run in reverse and it looks tampered with.

Oh and another thing. You have an S-series, not an L-series. The L-sereis was a midsize car from Saturn. The L in SL or SL1 or SL2 gets people confused sometimes.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
batmobile

1994 SL2

I understand the legal ramifications of turning BACK the odometer, but would that still apply to turning it FORWARD??!! That doesn't make much sense. Whatever the case, it sounds like this is not something worth doing because of the hassle involved.

Yes, I know I have an S series and I thought I was in the S series tech forum. I don't know how this ended up in the L series forum. Sorry about that. Any way to move it?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
I understand the legal ramifications of turning BACK the odometer, but would that still apply to turning it FORWARD??!! That doesn't make much sense. Whatever the case, it sounds like this is not something worth doing because of the hassle involved.
You're technically changing it, no matter whenther it's foreward or backwards. But w/e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobile View Post
Yes, I know I have an S series and I thought I was in the S series tech forum. I don't know how this ended up in the L series forum. Sorry about that. Any way to move it?
PM Charlie.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

In Arkansas you have to disclose on the title when you sell it if the true milieage is unknown. You know about what it is, but you really don't know the true mileage. The title has another option for if the mileage exceeds the mechanical limits of the odometer (meaning it has rolled over 100K on older cars that only go to 99K).

We bought a car once and the original owner sold it to the second owner with about 5K on it, but check that the odo had rolled over and it branded the title. My dad was able to track down the original owner and get a written statement from him saying he goofed and they fixed the title.

I really wouldn't worry about it on a car that old. Even if the title does get branded, a buyer probably won't care especially if you tell them what you think the mileage is supposed to be.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

there are places that can change the mileage. if you bought a new speedomer/odometer from the dealer thery would sent it out and have the mileage set to where it should be. ask a local dealer who they use. i cannot imagine getting into trouble on your car for what you are doing
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
batmobile

1994 SL2

So it sounds like this is not something I can just do by manually moving the number dials once I get in there to change that gear, eh?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

alot of anti tampering features in there.
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
batmobile

1994 SL2

Well, that is not something I want to bother with then. I will just get the odometer rolling and have to add 5K to all my mileage stats for maintenance. I wasn't planning to sell it any time soon anyway, so the issue of an accurate mileage reading for a buyer does not come into play.

Thanks to all who responded.