SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Civic&Saturn
Civic&Saturn is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Dogbone engine mount questions - 1996 SL2

First of all, yes, I did a search. I got some answers but not a complete picture.

1996 SL2 with 165,000 miles. I replaced the upper torque axis mount in the spring and, as expected, that removed a lot of the vibration. I have the lower transmission mount but have not installed it yet. Since the remaining two "dogbone" style mounts are still the factory originals, I'm thinking of just replacing both of them along with the lower tranny mount.

The first thing I need to know is whether or not the two dogbones are the same part number. And then I might need to know the part numbers, unless the part I found on Saturnparts.com is the correct one: "MOUNT, Saturn, Engine Mount Strut - 1.9L, DOHC" for $77.81 plus shipping.

Next, I don't have an install procedure for the driver side dogbone. I found a passenger side writeup from Wolfman at...

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31650

...but I could not locate anything for the driver side. I'd need to know the torque specs as well, the way Wolfman supplied them for the passenger side procedure.

Thanks for any and all advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Civic&Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Civic&Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Civic&Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
Jeremy97sc
Jeremy97sc is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Dogbone engine mount questions - 1996 SL2

The driver side dogbone is under the airbox. Remove it and you will see it plain as day.

I must say though, the dogbone mounts rarely are the cause of any vibration, the stocks ones anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeremy97sc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeremy97sc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeremy97sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The "dogbone" mounts are really more locating mounts. The upper engine mount and the lower trans mounts hold things up and can cause excessive vibration if they are not good.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Civic&Saturn

1996 SL2

So do you guys recommend I just install the lower tranny mount and see how things are? The upper torque axis mount has already been replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Civic&Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The "dogbone" mounts only dampen and control torque motion (twisting) of the engine and transaxle in the engine compartment. They are not load bearing and generally do not dampen or amplify engine or transaxle "felt" vibration at all. If you are not getting a notable audible "CLUNK!" when the transaxle is shifted from park to reverse or drive, or under heavy accelration when shifting, the dogbone mounts are probably just fine.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
Civic&Saturn

1996 SL2

OK, thanks. I'll just install the lower tranny mount for the time being.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!